We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Where can I find teeny tiny coin purses? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Chris S
View Profile
Veteran user
393 Posts

Profile of Chris S
Hi all. I am looking for inspiration on where I can find a really small coin purse (2 actually) for a cigar and purse routine like Leipzig's. Are they used to hold tobacco and they are not really coin purses at all? I am really trying to think of the best way to go about sourcing them. Any help will be very much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Chris
May your moral compass guide you true - South West is where the honourable man fare. Pity those who lose their way...
shanla
View Profile
Loyal user
Japan, Tokyo
285 Posts

Profile of shanla
In Japan, Mr. Takeshi Nemoto has sold a coin magic set for "Gold Finger" routine. The purse included in that set is rather small, about two inches diameter. That set includes two black and one gold purse of that size.
But, I am not sure if he would sell them to overseas or not. I'm sorry.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Locate a fancy, collectable doll shop or doll supply store. They carry little clasp doll purses in various sizes.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1509 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
Go to http://www.woodencigars.com

They carry exactly what you're looking for. They also have VERY nice wooden cigars.
Dave Shepherd
View Profile
Regular user
Washington, DC
116 Posts

Profile of Dave Shepherd
You can get a nice leather purse from Denny and Lee Magic Studio.

I got a bunch of these from Denny. They will hold four silver dollars without bulging at all, and even more with a bit of a bulge. They are leather and have a concealed clasp.
Chris S
View Profile
Veteran user
393 Posts

Profile of Chris S
WONDERFUL suggestions, guys. Thanks so much!
May your moral compass guide you true - South West is where the honourable man fare. Pity those who lose their way...
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1509 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
Just a note...the purses I mentioned at http://www.woodencigars.com are made for the cigar routine your asking about. They're SMALL, which is what you need. The purses at Denny's are nice but they're bigger. Plus they don't have a clasp closure which you'll want for that routine.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4866 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
I just bought one a few weeks ago from Denny. They are very well made and cost $10.
Doug McKenzie
View Profile
Veteran user
New York City
363 Posts

Profile of Doug McKenzie
You could also buy the Stoned purse routine from Nathan Kranzo. You get a small purse, and a wonderful routine to go along with it. The price differential is mimimal.
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2934 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
Hi NYC!

Thanks for mentioning My Stoned Purse. I plan on putting a demo video of it on my site soon.
Best,

Nathan
check out MINDZILLA VOL. 2!!! Brand New Effects. Instant Downloads. Watch Demo Videos. Click below!!!

KranzoMagic.com
Chris S
View Profile
Veteran user
393 Posts

Profile of Chris S
I am looking at getting the Ton Onasaka SMALL size purses (which look like the ones on Nathan's website). Does anyone know what size these are? Are we talking a snug fit for a half or would you get silver dollars in there easily? Obviously the smaller the better, so anyone who can give me info on Ton's purses would be appreciated.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
The Onosaka purses available from Magicsmith will fit four silver dollars like O.J.'s glove. (in other words, a little stretching is expected, and the fit would then be perfect)As for chinese coins, I use one on "Palms 2", where you'll see 13 come out. Smile
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Chris S
View Profile
Veteran user
393 Posts

Profile of Chris S
Are they the small size or the medium size, Curtis (love FoF BTW)?
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1116 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Mr Kam,

Do you know if the Ton Onasaka purses available from MagicSmith are the original ones (very nice quality leather purses from Japan) or are they the more recent ones to be sold in the U.S. which are made in China which are a lot more stiff? I purchased some Ton Onasaka purses about a year ago, but recently the ones I've seen in magic shops are the same size, but they're made from a cheaper leather and the frame isn't as smooth working as the original Onasaka ones. Since we're on the subject, does anyone know how to reach Onasaka's store? Thanks!
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Chris,

I just went to the magicsmith site to see what you're talking about, and now all I see are the Sasco purses, which aren't the same thing at all. You'll have to ask someone at Magicsmith if they're still carrying the Japanese style purses, or MJ might know where you can get a reasonable facsimile (see below)

MJ,

I did notice that the leather of the Magicsmith purse is thicker than in the old Onosaka purses. I assumed that they all were being made this way. Frankly, I like the thicker leather better. The thin stuff had a tendency to wear rapidly, and I have two original Onosaka purses that have holes near the frames because of this.

I have not noticed any diference in quality of the frames, just the leather.

Finally, if they are no longer carried by Magicsmith, try Geroge Schindler on the East Coast, he's got 'em, I'm told.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1116 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Thanks Mr. Kam! Reed McClintock had some real nice things to say about your new DVD during his recent lecture at the Castle.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
He'd better, he's on it! Smile

Confidentially, Reed has contributed two handlings of the same routine to "Palms 3". The first is the handling from "Knucklebusters" and the second is the top secret better handling he didn't want to tip. I couldn't even believe how he did the first version. Smile
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3412 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On 2003-02-06 14:37, The Original Countelmsley wrote:
I just bought one a few weeks ago from Denny. They are very well made and cost $10.

I got the same purse from Denny myself ($10) also. Then I went to one of the sponsors http://www.magicproshop.com and got the same purse, as Denny's, for $5.95. I ordered another three!

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4187 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Hi everybody, I hope to introduce some new coin purses at the Coinvention - two types...one that is very tiny, and one more of a "standard" size, both made out of elegant Florentine leather! - Michael Rubinstein
AT LAST - a NEW fun coins across!! MIGRATE is filled with laughs, magic, cool moves, lasts over 3 minutes, uses props, comes in a Poker Chip version or special Deluxe version with coins, and is about...BEARS! AT DEALERS EVERYWHERE!
https://youtu.be/hzf-Trbs4Ts

https://youtu.be/gGjMtW1DLjA

ALSO...available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
I HAVE A LIMITED AMOUNT OF COPIES AVAILABLE TO BE SIGNED, AND COME WITH A SPECIAL FREE GIFT! If interested, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com I also have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book, let me know if you want a pricelist.
Geoff Latta
View Profile
Regular user
New York
158 Posts

Profile of Geoff Latta
Quote:
On 2003-03-14 22:27, msr wrote:
....Hi everybody, I hope to introduce some new coin purses at the Coinvention....

Michael, are these old clasp type or the Japanese-style hidden clasp?

Best,

Geoff
"There is a thin line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line." --Oscar Levant
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Where can I find teeny tiny coin purses? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL