The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Sankey Pankey - what's the deal (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
TX
2237 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Ok, people rave about this book - and for the most part only a few dealers have it - but is it worth it? I own like 6 of his DVD's - I have about 5 of his lecture notes - and for the most part, his effects end up feeling the same.

Don't get me wrong - I love his art. I love how creative he can be with such simple moves. But is this book worth the purchase if I already have a lot of his effects already? I'm just worried that it would be more of the same.

He also has "Unleashed" and "Beyond Secrets" also....just curious.
Youtube & Intstagram @MagicOrthodoxy
FOLLOW and SUBSCRIBE - I giveaway magic and cards every month
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1763 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
I seriously doubt if you have as much material as you've said that you need this, but if you are big sankey fan you may want to check it out for fun(or see if you can borrow it from a friend or read through it a bit in a magic shop).
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13401 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
The deal is.... It's time to turn off the All Sankey, All the time channel and broaden your horizons.

A little Sankey goes a long way and you've got way beyond plenty.

Do you have Carneycopia by john carney?
The Conjuring Anthology by Jim Steinmeyer?
Dear mr. fantasy or Smoke and Mirrors or Impossibilia by john bannon?
The books of wonder by tommy wonder?
How about the Slydini book and perhaps the Kozmo Slydini DVD "As I recall.." to go with it?
Secrets Of Brother John Hamman?
Williamson's Wonders?

I would get all these and many many more titles before I would continue getting any more Sankey.

... if I were you.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5962 Posts

Profile of motown
Sankey Pankey was Jay's first book and has some of his best material. You may want to compare the contents of the book with the material you already have. Several of the effects and techniques from the book have now been put out on video. LOL.

Craig
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
I had this at one time. It contained some good magic, although I bought it mainly for the ballooned deck routine, not knowing anything about the rest of the contents. I sold it on E-bay as I found the writing style maddening. I at times have wished I had learned a few of the routines first. That is how annoying I found the writing, I couldn't even bring myself to study the 2 or three routines I wanted to learn. What do I mean by I found the writing style annoying? Imagine the Basic Basic Card Technique DVD in wriiten form.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
TX
2237 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Frank, no I don't have any of your books.

I have "Art of Astonishment," all 3 volumes.
I have "Nothing Up My Sleeve" by Doug Conn.
I have "Pure Effect and Absolute Magic" by Derren Brown.
I have Mark Wilson's Encyclopedia,
I have Bobo's coin book,
I have almost all of Huggard's card books.
I have Ben Harris' "Quarks and Quirks"
I have Expert at the Card Table,
I have a handful of books by Fulves,
I have Blackstone's Modern card Magic and Secrets of Magic (cir. 1941, original binding)

I have two of Dai Vernon's "Inner Secrets" books.
Plus a huge pile of lecture notes, pamphlets, booklets and what-not to numerous to count.

So...I am not on an "all Sankey" channel. I hope my horizons are broad enough.
Man, this does not even include my DVD or VHS collection! (ha ha)
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13401 Posts

Do yourself a favor and get Carneycopia!
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
TX
2237 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Hmmm another $40 magic book with my first baby on the way....might not fly with the missus.
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2906 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
GET UNLEASHED INSTEAD! It is almost out of print and the material is genius... He even teaches Leaving Home and Holy Moly.
Follow Michael Kras on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/KrasMagic

Check out The Kras Change at Vanishing Inc Magic! http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/ebooks/kras-change/
JoeFreedom
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of JoeFreedom
David,

With a baby on the way "another $40 magic book" could be fatal. As we only get one fatality in life, make yours old age & in your sleep. I think that many of us already have more than enough magic books, tricks videos etc., we just love to collect. Why not simply try new effects from what you already have? Maybe even try routining them differently. Just a thought.

Joe
JoeFreedom

Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13401 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-07-22 16:25, Michaelmystic2003 wrote:
GET UNLEASHED INSTEAD! It is almost out of print and the material is genius... He even teaches Leaving Home and Holy Moly.

Or wait until he releases "Unleashed and Uncollared" where you'll be able to learn "Leaving the Apartment" and "Holy Guacamole". They will also be genius AND with new and improved handlings, as well.
Mr.Tweed
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Mr.Tweed
Quote:
On 2007-07-18 12:20, DavidKenney wrote:
Hmmm another $40 magic book with my first baby on the way....might not fly with the missus.

Very wise. So you've answered your question. Buy the Sankey book. No, wait... the Sankey book is also about 40 clams? What are ya gonna do?

Buy some diapers.
Too lazy to work, too nervous to steal.
magicstudent
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of magicstudent
Buy Collected Almanac instead, Sankey contributed some nice materials in the book. There you will find his beautiful HPC-CPH move.

Jeff
I'll Be Back!
-Schwarzenegger-
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2906 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
Quote:
On 2007-07-23 19:22, Frank Starsini wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-07-22 16:25, Michaelmystic2003 wrote:

Or wait until he releases "Unleashed and Uncollared" where you'll be able to learn "Leaving the Apartment" and "Holy Guacamole". They will also be genius AND with new and improved handlings, as well.

Was that a joke? Or is it a real upcoming project?
Follow Michael Kras on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/KrasMagic

Check out The Kras Change at Vanishing Inc Magic! http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/ebooks/kras-change/
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1504 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
Quote:
On 2007-07-16 21:54, manal wrote:
I had this at one time. It contained some good magic, although I bought it mainly for the ballooned deck routine, not knowing anything about the rest of the contents. I sold it on E-bay as I found the writing style maddening. I at times have wished I had learned a few of the routines first. That is how annoying I found the writing, I couldn't even bring myself to study the 2 or three routines I wanted to learn. What do I mean by I found the writing style annoying? Imagine the Basic Basic Card Technique DVD in wriiten form.

Sankey Pankey was written by Richard Kaufman. Do you find all of the other books he wrote maddening as well? Kaufman has supplied some amazing books. It would be a shame if you wrote them all off due to his writing style.
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
No ,I do not consider his other books maddening as I have not read any of his other books. I understand Kaufman has a large body of written work that is well respected by many.I have not purchased any of his other work ,reserving my meager funds for books written by authors whom I know I enjoy reading.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
A lot of this material is also in one of Jay's Sankeytized tapes which I have and like.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
rbattle
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of rbattle
Another vote for Carney

Robert
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Sankey Pankey - what's the deal (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL