The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Beginning Card Manipulation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

fallout
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of fallout
Hi, I'm just starting out in card manipulation and I have a few questions. I browsed other similar topics but I have specific questions that I would like a little more clarity on.

A little background first: So far, I know how to do and am continuing to practice the back palm, sidegrip production, backpalm production (approx. 10-15 cards), and fan splitting. I've been learning from Jeff Sheridan's DVD (funny guy...I like how he goes "bloop!" after he does a production).

The main question I have is about the type of card...

I'm currently using Poker Size Bicycles. So far, they have been fine. It's just they need to be powdered again because they don't fan very well. However, holding more than, oh, 15 cards can be a pain because they are so stiff, and the cards have been broken into.

As I read more about manipulation, I came upon manipulation cards and fanning cards. What is the difference between the two? I bought the Julia Chen manipulation cards but I cannot use them because they are wayyyy to small.

Another question, what is the size that most of you use? I see that most manipulation cards are bridge size, so I'm guessing that's what most people use??

A question about Bee playing cards: Jeff Sheridan uses them, and from other posts it seems it's a common choice. How are these different from poker sized Bicycles?

Thank you.
chrisgali
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of chrisgali
Hey!
I`ve been doing card manipulation for about 2 years. Here are my points I`ve learned, seen and tried!

McBride is my favorite teacher! He`s great!! Buy his dvds (Art of Card Manipulation Vol.1-3) It's the best to learn I think!

I also have Sheridan's work. It's also great but not as much material as on McBrides!

I bought also:
-Romaine Monarch of Manipulators
-McBrides' Zoom, Bounce and Fly
-Tony Clark's Winning Card Routine
-Stephane Vanel Manipulations
-Eddy Ray Sleight of Hand with Cards

All of them are great, but I think McBrides three vol. would be giving you sleights to learn for months or years!!

I`ve also tried Juliana Chen cards, not my thing!! Norm Nielsen Cards are very similar! They are both bridge size!

For me Bees work best. They are Poker Size and I can do all the manipulations with these cards! They are like Bicycles but a little smoother and easier to handle.
Break them in and they are great!

I think if you can backpalm 15 bics, you can easily hold 20 Bees. Also the red back is great because you cant see white edges like Bics, and Bees are much cheaper than all the manipulation cards.

Fanning deck is just for card fanning, not for things like backpalm or other production. They only change color or motif if you fan them in different ways!!

So...hope I`ve given you some help!

Nice Greets, Chris
WagsterMagic
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach, SC
639 Posts

Profile of WagsterMagic
I have been doing manipulation for a long time. Here is my two cent:

Get Bee brand poker size cards. They are the best for manip.

Get jeff McBride's dvd on manipulation, 1-3, possibly Foom, fly, and Bounce and maybe Manip. without Tears.

Fanning decks are good but for later on. Don't waste your money on "manipulation cards" just go get you some Bee's. They work fine.

Last note: It will take some time to get used to backpalming large stacks of cards. I used to only be able to do 10-15 but now if the deck is well broken in I can get in around 30-35. Just takes practice. And don't be afraid to bend the cards.

Hope this helps you out.

Best
Brandon
The Wagsters: World Class Magic & Illusion
www.wagstermagic.com
fallout
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of fallout
When you say you are able to backpalm 30+ cards, do you mean that it feels like your backpalming only 10? Can you backpalm it so that the cards are difficult to see? If so, I really have to say that is quite amazing!
WagsterMagic
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach, SC
639 Posts

Profile of WagsterMagic
I'm not saying that it feels like I'm palming 10, but you get more used to the feel of having large stacks palmed. You just have to build up finger strength is all.

Note:Keep your hands in slight motion at all times. This will make the cards more difficult to see.

Best,
Brandon
www.wagstermagic.com
fallout
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of fallout
Ah, thank you so much!
WagsterMagic
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach, SC
639 Posts

Profile of WagsterMagic
Your Welcome.

Best
Brandon
www.wagstermagic.com
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
With practice your fingers will strengthen and you should be working with more cards without any problem.
AnthonyMaze
View Profile
Loyal user
San Diego, Ca
260 Posts

Profile of AnthonyMaze
I would like to add that if you have a WALGREENS somewhere near where you live they have STUD brand playing cards. They are printed with one less stock (most have three layers, STUD only has 2). They feel like they have been broken in right out of the box as well. They are poker size so palming will feel like normal.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.j......d1486940

This link is from their website. It only shows the pinochle deck, but this would work I suppose for manipulations, if you don't have a store near you.

PLUS>>> Read the reviews on their website...It appears other magicians are shopping online for them :o)

Hope this helps!
...for the 51st time... that is NOT my card...
T.G Kenny
View Profile
Loyal user
Malaysia
243 Posts

Profile of T.G Kenny
I am currently using BEES brand deck as my manipulation cards . I just bought 3 decks of Murphy's Manipulation Cards , I don't really like them . Too soft . Lol

Regards
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
The choice of manipulation cards is a matter of personal preference. But the BEEs seem to be the favorite. I use it too and have been using it for 30 years.
Vayron
View Profile
Loyal user
Belgium
228 Posts

Profile of Vayron
Practice first with normal cards like Bicycle or Bee. The manipulations cards (Murphys, Norm Neilsen, Peter Marvey ...) are great for the backpalm but not for tenkai and other manipulations. I use bicycle on stage. I tried Bee but I don't like these cards for backpalm. I've not the same "sensation" as the bicycle.
casibb3
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of casibb3
Fallout: Doing the manip act for too long to remember the real beginning, but the Marlo booklet and the real workout Buckley Principles and Deceptions did it for me. He used Bee brand and with his method of making them supple resulted in a truly cushion-feel deck for manipulation.

Countless hours of preparing the cards, loosening them up and just an occasional fanning powder application made it all happen so nicely. As to the fanning powder app., I always used Del Ray's method of just sprinkling a wee bit on each edge of the deck and working this in, then faro-ing ad nauseum. Too many manipulators go at this thing heavy handedly and defeat the artistry of the production. Again, there is a temptation to produce too many fans with no interruption in the sequence. Take time with each production, and obtaining several loads is far superior to producing from a stack of 30 or more at one time.

Bees hold up very well but that is not to say that other brands are not good.

As to the bridge or poker size, what fits you hands the best? I'm sure the audience does not judge a performer by whether he uses bridge or poker size.
And TAKE YOUR TIME WITH THE PRODUCTIONS !!!!!!!! Far too many rush the sequence leaving the audience baffled.....and stage presence and stance are indeed most important.

Hope this helps.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Beginning Card Manipulation (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL