The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » New job at Japanese restaurant (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Magicjg
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Profile of Magicjg
So listen to this. I have been trying to get a job in my area doing magic at a few restaurants. Finally I was approached by a friend to work at a Japanese house. Here is the thing, its 1 hour and 15 away. Here is the other catch, they want magic everyday of the week for an entire year. Now that isn't bad. It's an consistent job and I get to meet potential clients everyday of the week. In the long run I will make a lot of money, but nightly it doesn't pay the big bucks. Do you guys think it's worth it?
Justin Impossible
View Profile
Veteran user
Distant Land Of Shmooo
328 Posts

Profile of Justin Impossible
Tell them they will have to cover gas on top of your regular pay. When I worked for Dennis Hof, he owns the Cathouse and his HBO special, his restaurant was in Carson City which was about 40-60 min outside of Reno, depending on traffic. I told him straight up that I would charge him an extra 30 every night on top of my regular nightly fee. He had no problem and understood. So I would just drive it one day and see how many miles and how much gas that would take and have a conversation with the owner.
Peace
J
Justin Impossible
www.justinimpossible.com
www.facebook.com/magicianjustinimpossible

A pretty assistant is the most effective form of misdirection.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
(Hoping to have gotten in before the previous response:)

What kind of car do you drive?

A Prius? Perhaps.

An Excursion? Probably not.

A Ferrari? Who cares about the job? Getting to drive it 2-1/2 hours a day is worth it even if they don't pay you!
Justin Impossible
View Profile
Veteran user
Distant Land Of Shmooo
328 Posts

If I had a Ferrari I really wouldn't worry about the money and I'm with S2000 as I would drive and drive and drive!
Peace
J
Justin Impossible
www.justinimpossible.com

Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Quote:
On 2007-07-16 12:55, meitzmagic wrote:
Tell them they will have to cover gas on top of your regular pay. When I worked for Dennis Hof, he owns the Cathouse and his HBO special, his restaurant was in Carson City which was about 40-60 min outside of Reno, depending on traffic. I told him straight up that I would charge him an extra 30 every night on top of my regular nightly fee. He had no problem and understood. So I would just drive it one day and see how many miles and how much gas that would take and have a conversation with the owner.
Peace
J

And house privileges???
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Magicjg
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Profile of Magicjg
I drive an older car that doesn't use much gas at all. I can drive up three days in a row on only 25 dollars. I'm easily clearing 600 a week so I think that is worth it.
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
But, how much time does this leave for private parties? That's also something to think about.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
BUT 600 a week is ALL you can clear. You have 7 a week booked. Can you make more doing it another way? If yes then don't take the job, if no then take it.

Even if you meet these "clients" then so what? You have no time to work for them at 7 nights a week.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
I agree with Danny. You are pushing yourself to the corner and do not have space to play around.
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Working 7 days a week:

- you'll burn out, don't kid yourself.

- you'll have no chance to leverage whatever recgnition you derive from the restaurant gig.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
How many hours a night?

600 bucks for 7 nights does not sound like a lot of money in the end.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
I would try to get less days at the restaurant. If they want 7 days, get some one to split the week with you. This way you can get some private gigs and make real money. And you will have some one switch days if needed.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Justin Impossible
View Profile
Veteran user
Distant Land Of Shmooo
328 Posts

Plus if you get someone else to split with you, you can take a cut for bringing them in!
Peace
J
Justin Impossible
www.justinimpossible.com

Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Quote:
On 2007-07-16 18:03, meitzmagic wrote:
Plus if you get someone else to split with you, you can take a cut for bringing them in!
Peace
J

At less than $100/night, he's going to have a hard time trying to find someone w/ experience to jump at the gig. More difficult if he tries to take a cut as well. Just my opinion. Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Plus you cut your "client base" in half, which was supposedly the main point of doing it in the first place right?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Brady
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles, CA
235 Posts

Profile of Brady
I work three nights a week at restaurants now and I probably could work a fourth, but if I do shows on the weekend, I am already working four or five days a week. I know for me, it would be really hard to try to work on new routines, practice current effects in the rotation at the restaurants, and try to develop new business if I was working 5 to 7 evenings a week. I could see myself getting burnt out real fast.

If I was offered that deal, I would only work 3 or 4 nights and give the other nights to one or two other magicians. This way you could cover for one another during evenings that private shows come up.

Also remember that your contacts will more than likely be from around that area, an hour and a half away from your home. If you take this you may want to look into moving.

Those are a few thoughts.

I wish you luck,

Brady
Magicjg
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Profile of Magicjg
I've decided to tell the restaurant that I want to cut the hours way down. By getting rid of Tuesdays and Thursdays I will be able to add another 15 dollars onto what I'm already payed a night. Hopefully they will see the positive of this seeing that they will be saving over 150 a month.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Now you are stepping in a cow pie in my book. Don't center them on "saving $150 per month". It shows them what they are spending. No need to highlight that for them. You are reducing what you do to a function of price. That is never good.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Jason, The Cat House is the name of a series, Miss Kitty's Cat House is an entertainment provider owned by Dennis that hires out bands etc.. The name of the Brothel featured in The Cat House was The Bunny Ranch Two found on Kit Kat Drive in Mound House, right outside of Carson City limits, where brothels are illegal. What restaurant did Dennis own or does own in Carson City?
Justin Impossible
View Profile
Veteran user
Distant Land Of Shmooo
328 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-07-17 16:01, MagicSanta wrote:
Jason, The Cat House is the name of a series, Miss Kitty's Cat House is an entertainment provider owned by Dennis that hires out bands etc.. The name of the Brothel featured in The Cat House was The Bunny Ranch Two found on Kit Kat Drive in Mound House, right outside of Carson City limits, where brothels are illegal. What restaurant did Dennis own or does own in Carson City?

Yes correct,

that's what I meant I was just typing a little fast their. Dennis hired me out after seeing my magic at another restaurant. He owns Dick's Road Bar and Grill in Mound House. I left his place after about 6 months, it was pretty dead and I wanted something closer to Reno, but he did pay well!
Peace
J
Justin Impossible
www.justinimpossible.com

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » New job at Japanese restaurant (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL