We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Cleaning manip. cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
markis
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of markis
Is there a good way to clean cards used for manipulation (Bee’s) after they begin to stick from oil and sweat from our hands?
WagsterMagic
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach, SC
639 Posts

Profile of WagsterMagic
Wipe each one off with a cotton ball.
(both sides)

Best
Brandon
The Wagsters: World Class Magic & Illusion
www.wagstermagic.com
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Since you are using BEEs for card manipulation, I would suggest you apply fanning powder (zinc Stereate) on the cards as well. They don't get sticky so fast and will maintain their fanning capability for some time.
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
Westfield, North Carolina, USA
449 Posts

Profile of The Great Danton
I use a paper towel folded into quarters. Put the folded towel on a table, and rub the card on it (both sides). This cleans the cards very well. You should also get some fanning powder like James said (I should get some more too...).

I also put them in a card press at night. This flattens the cards and makes them last longer. They are VERY easy to make, although it can be easier to buy one if you don't have a good work space (just be careful, because they can be pricey.)

Hope this helped,
T.G. Danton
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house."
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
One more thing to note is to avoid using those cards when your hands are sweaty, dirty, slimy, greasy, etc Smile This will certainly shorten the card's life span tremendously.
markis
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of markis
I have never had much luck with fanning powder. It always seemed to make things worse as far as the cards sticking or clumping together during fans, etc.

Thanks for tips fellas!
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
It does not happen to me. That's because I rub the fanning powder with a cotton pad on both sides of the card, and for every card. Long process but the cards get a very even coat of powder. That way they don't stick or clumping together. I have been doing it this way for 30 years. Will never change the method.
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
James is right. Most people make the mistake of applying way too much powder and it will certainly clump up and get sticky. I have always heavily powdered them to work the powder into the cards and then wiped each card off individually with a towel. It is time consuming, but the cards will fan beautifully.

Jeb
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
I've always dropped the cards into a paper bag, added a small amount of powder and given them a shake. Afterwards, I shuffle them a bit, a riffle and cut later I'm ready to go.

If you keep your cards off the floor and don't allow other people to touch your cards they'll keep cleaner longer. Clean, dry hands help too.
POOF!
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Actually the clumping of the powder/dirt and stickiness is due to uneven application of the fanning powder. Having performed in different countries and especially the difference in weather and humidity, the application of even coating of the fanning powder is very important to one's card act.

There are many ways one can put on the powder to the cards but unfortunately it does not last. You may not agree with me but if you are to perform the card act everyday and under different weather and humidity conditions all the time (including your own sweat), then you will see why you need an even costing of the powder.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Have you ever tried sifting your powder?
POOF!
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
It may be time to break in some new cards.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
You don't need to sift the powder if you are using the cotton type application. I have several decks of fanning cards that have been worked with for 30 years, and used very frequently. They are still in good condition. This shows the method I use helps me a lot.
markis
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of markis
When I tried it I did the McBride garbage bag technique, maybe I used too much powder. Can I buy something at pharmacy or walmart that will work for fanning powder or do I need to order it from a magic dealer?
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Unfortunately there are no alternatively to getting fanning powder (zinc stearate). Pharmacy do not sell them. Most magic dealers should have them.
Mr. Ree
View Profile
Elite user
Sedona AZ
414 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ree
James:

Thanks for the information on fanning powder.
I had read mixed reviews, but your detailed information
makes sense.

If you don’t mind I have 2 more questions:
(I’m new to trying “fanning powder”.)

1. You mention a “cotton pad”, any more details about this would be helpful.
At first I though you might be referring to “Cotton balls” or
is this something else?

2. In your experience is all fanning powder the same?
Or is there one brand you prefer?

Thanks for your time.
An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.
---- William Bernbach (1911 - 1982) ----

(After 25 years of PCs, everything switched to Macs, June 2008)
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Mr. Ree, the cotton pad or cotton ball is the same. As long as it picks up fanning powder, you can use any one.

The most important thing is the cards must have an even coat of powder on both sides.

There are many methods of applying fanning powder. But I still prefer my own method and have been using it for 30 years (before many other methods were introduced).

I just use any fanning powder I can get my hands on from any dealer. No particular preference. The key lies in the even coating on the cards.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi markis:

One thing that has not been mentioned is a Card Press. Really, it is just as important as fanning powder - the two go together. You may already know about them, but a card press will clamp down your deck, making it much more manageable. You can get the press and fanning powder from Norm Nielson's site. Years ago, I saw Norm Nielson at a magic convention and asked him how he powdered his cards for his manipulation act, and he said he just used a paper bag, and squirted in some fanning powder and shook the bag.

I hope this helps you.

Ron
T.G Kenny
View Profile
Loyal user
Malaysia
243 Posts

Profile of T.G Kenny
Hi ,

Right after I finish practising card manipulation or flourish , I will just keep the cards into my lovely lovely Card Press which was purchased from Norm Nielsen .

Regards
WizardB
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of WizardB
What is Norm's site?
Thanks,
Brian
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Cleaning manip. cards (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL