The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Music for manipulation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Chris Becker
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
371 Posts

Profile of Chris Becker
Semianius mentioned that the "Magic Music"-CDs were not suitable for manipulation. Well, I guess we all know a whole bunch of music that isn't but - help! - which is?
There are also two "schools" concerning music with lyrics and plain instrumental pieces. Which do you prefer and why? Do you think sung songs are likely to distract the audience? But so could a fancy piece of music.

Btw, I just listen to "Hello again" which Topas used in his Prize-winning act ... complete nonsense lyrics but it seems it worked nonetheless.

Cheers, Chris
- - -
<BR>Cards don't cheat people. People cheat people.
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Well Chris, it's not that "all" of it is unsuitable, just most. The problem is that because manipulation has so many effects going on at a time, you need a great deal of crescendos. A lot of the music seems to be aimed at dancing with your assistants and such. It works well for illusions, because there is one trick being done and the rest just needs to be drawn out (though some illusionists hit the same problem because they want to do more than just move around). Listen to that piece they use on World's Greatest Magic all the time. The one Jeff McBride and Craig Fruin and whoever else used. Look for a piece that's similar.

Mind you, if you just want some music playing in the background you can use just about anything. Many manipulators like to "respond" to the music and that's the reason for the number of crescendos, it gives you something to respond to. Ask around, I've heard that some of those Magic Music CDs have one or two useful songs. Someone may have put one out for manipulators by now and I just haven't run across it yet.

Good luck. If you find something good, tell me. Smile

Sable
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
Karl Dann
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Karl Dann
There's a Greek musician named Yanni that has a song called "Santorini" which I think is ideal for a manipulation routine for it has lots of shades. Try to download it from internet. Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
I'll have to try that. I never knew Yanni was Greek. Smile

Jeb (Sable)
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Bret Parkhill
View Profile
New user
Iowa
20 Posts

Profile of Bret Parkhill
How about the Illusionworks "Music for Modern Magical Performances"? They advertise vol. 1 as being suitable for manipulation. Anyone have experience with that disc?
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
I haven't run into that one yet, but I'll try it and let you know.

Sable
Chris Becker
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
371 Posts

Profile of Chris Becker
Anyone tried Siegfried & Roy's CD "A Life of Magic" (that was a guess, I don't remember the title)?!

Let us know what you think of it!

Best, Chris
- - -
<BR>Cards don't cheat people. People cheat people.
pyromagician
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee
312 Posts

Profile of pyromagician
I would go for anything classical or a soft techno like trance.

But thats maybe just my kind of manipulation atmosphere.
P.S. this is what part of the alphabet would look like if "Q" and "R" were eleminated
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
I'm a juggler/ magician so you could say much of my act revolves around manipulation.

I don't really like music with vocals as it is distracting. Music should work hand in hand with your act, not take the lead.

Having said that, I'll contradict myself by saying that I do a brief routine that makes fun out of Michael Jackson and I use his original version of Bad.

Cheers

ML
Bret Parkhill
View Profile
New user
Iowa
20 Posts

Profile of Bret Parkhill
Jeb,

Have you checked out the Illusionworks cd yet?
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1359 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
Is it even possible to do a card manipulation type routine with a patter instead of music? I mean possible without coming across look a doofus.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5080 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I don't think there is a right or wrong background for manipulation. It all depends on the type of manip you are doing and the tempo. For instance, at one point in my routine, I change a candle to a billiard ball which starts off my manipulation. I end by reappearing the candle. I do the routine very slow and formally and use "Fascination" for my music. This music would not be suitable for card manipulations. Best to experiment around. Yanni does have some good stuff and the illusionworks CD's are fine.
Smile
Where the magic begins
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Bret,
I recall finding most of the Illusionworks music to not have enough crescendos for manipulation, but it has been a while since I heard them last. I'll try to listen my friends copy and see.

Sable
Magic Tim
View Profile
New user
Texas
40 Posts

Profile of Magic Tim
Two items I'd like to suggest for consideration are:

• The "Morning Serenade" from Prokofiev's "Romeo & Juliet" ballet music; it's a fascinating blend of mandolins, violins and brass, lasting about 2.5 minutes.
  • Rick Wakeman's "Merlin the Magician" from "The Myths and Legends of King Arthur..."; Lots of synthesized variety. This one is a bit long at almost 9 minutes, but a good digital sound editor could customize it to suit a shorter routine.

These two have been on my mind for a long time as potential accompaniment pieces, and I'm currently working on a zombie routine with the Prokofiev piece. I hope they might be of benefit to someone else...

Regards,
Tim Smile
http://www.timwallacemagic.com

“I find your lack of faith disturbing.” -- Darth Vader
Dr. Jakks
View Profile
Special user
832 Posts

Profile of Dr. Jakks
I like some fast beat music playing, it fits when I am popping cards.
David Welzman
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of David Welzman
Check out the music from Movies.
Soud Tracks are great like.
Dragon The Bruce Lee Story
Dragon Heart.
Kull.
Whilst most of these are not suitable, some of the pieces are perfect. (especially with the Dragon the Bruce Lee story. The music in the movies is designed to bring out an emotion more than a normal music group, so hire out the movies and see for your self.

Cheers,
David Welzman
Sydney's # 1 Sleight of Hand Magician Smile
Fantasy Knight
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto,Ontario,Canada
244 Posts

Profile of Fantasy Knight
Talking about music i have bought a cd called illusionique but out by OPUS 1 produtions it has a lot of good music for manipulation and comes with a sheet that tells you what illusions would suit witch song, if you would like to get a cd let me know and see if i can get one to you. My self i have no problems with music because my stage show i produce roses and pictures of roses on cards so my music is usally some romantic music like Witney Houston or simular so i guess like it depending on what you produce can determen the music, and Peter Gabriel has some really up- beat music cheak it out and see if it suits you. Well hope that helps out.

Magicaly yours Tricky Ricky
Grew up near one of the greatest minds in magic the late Stewart James, in a town called Wallaceburg just 15 mins from Courtright where James could be found, time and time again he would inspire me to always be creative and just love all magic.
tink
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of tink
you know kind of music would for some card manipulation or any kind of stage trick would be techno or a trance like music. there is all kinds of different styles just take your pick. there is fast and slow paced styles. techno or rave is great for dancing with an assitiant. trance would be good for a phantom f/x like the one Lance Burton has done. you just need to choose the style you like there is plenty out there.

Tink
"What the eyes sees and the ears hear, is what the mind believes."
Kingry
View Profile
Elite user
Virginia
457 Posts

Profile of Kingry
Personally, I use Vivaldi's Concerto grosso op. 3/8 in A minor parts 1&3 Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue could work with the right act. Good luck.
paulapaul
View Profile
Regular user
Nevada
173 Posts

Profile of paulapaul
Chris,

Good music is a lot like digging for gold. Or, Ya’ have to kiss a lot of frogs…

Lyrics ~ No Lyrics: I use both. Depends on the effect, depends on the music. Personally, I am 85% no-lyrics. Here are some titles you might want to look into:

What “feel” are you going for? Some artists can be counted on for certain types of music: For ethereal, you can’t go wrong with music by Enya. Playful? Danny Elfman (Beetlejuice, Pee Wee’s Big Top, etc.) is excellent. For more pushy tempos, I like Yellow. For Electronic - The Art of Noise.

Instead of shopping by artist, you can also try movie soundtracks. Some soundtracks are strictly pop or rap. But many soundtracks are rich in instrumentals, and often don’t need to be current. In fact, I’ll go for movies that have been out of the theatres for a while, so that the music in not so recognizable. Movies like Basic Instinct, Rain Man, Tucker (the man and his machine), Sliver, etc. Great theme stuff can come from soundtracks, too. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Western), Dragnet or Peter Gunn (Trenchcoat). Many times soundtrack music is short enough as to not require editing,

To find them, call the shops in your area that buy/sell/trade used CD’s. Ask if they have a listening booth, or headphones. Pick out some cd’s that look promising by looking for interesting titles on the front and in the contents. Sample them. With experience you will get pretty good at spotting the track titles or artists that will be most likely to yield results.

And then, there are the Cirque du Soliel sound tracks. They always have interesting music, and judging by the number of magicians who use the Cirque music, they are suitable in a lot of cases. You can sample them Here! or go Here! and follow the links to multimedia, music. You can buy them Here! You will probably find them very satisfying. TWO NOTES: 1) Be prepared to edit. The numbers are usually long. 2) You’ll find that for the most part, the vocals in these do not compete with you. The voices in these are used as instruments.

With all the above, you should not have ASCAP issues unless you want to use the music on TV, or a super high profile free standing event. I could be mistaken, but I’ve been covered by most venues I have worked.

In closing, be prepared, just like when you are looking for a new move or magic effect, to shop a lot, and have to “try on” the music before you know that it will work for you. It’s likely that you’ll take a lot of CD’s home before you find the perfect number.

Happy shopping!
pp
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Music for manipulation (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL