We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Twilight by Paul Harris (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Tony Chapparo
View Profile
Special user
Albuquerque, NM
705 Posts

Profile of Tony Chapparo
I love Twilight, but I have to agree with most of the sentiment here.

It is simply not practical for more than say two people at a time.

Too bad because it is a beautiful Illusion.
Tony Chapparo
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
I just started playing with this.

Been working on a jumbo at the end. Basically the coin half under the mirror, showing just one all together suddenly changes to a jumbo half under the mirror.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Quote:
On 2003-02-05 20:48, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
David Roth himself incorperated a quick sequence from Twilight into his 'Sleeve' routine.

Jonathan,
Actually, David Roth originated the mirror bit in "The Sleeve". Paul's friend (and full contact Kung Fu master) Tayari Cassel (sp?) saw Roth do the routine and showed the pulling a coin off the mirror bit to Paul, who took the idea and ran with it.

bill
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I'm glad that someone besides me credits Tayari (Casel) when mentioning this effect. Tayari's a great guy.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
What did Roth do with it? That is what was the effect he used the mirror for?
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
As a "cod" explaination, during the routine "The Sleeve", Roth would produce a smally rectagular mirror instead of the coin that had been coming out of the sleeve. He would then hold the mirror up and hold a coin in front of it, followed by pulling the coin and its reflection off of the mirror.
krantis
View Profile
Regular user
AUSTRALIA
106 Posts

Profile of krantis
No.no.no.no.no. my friend does this - he performed it to me - the marketed version and it rocked - the concept was easy to follow. Then I have seen someone do the extra versions above and the whole thing got confusing....... ask a lay person what they think - you will be amazed by the results.
I like the trick - I don't have it, but I like it.!!
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Anyone do this now, iv sparked a recent interest after playing with the tenyo version to learn and perform the version from AoA. anyone do this for people still?
andrelimantara
View Profile
Special user
Surabaya, Indonesia
869 Posts

Profile of andrelimantara
My Friend also has a nice version involving a special gimmick.
It's nice

Cheers
Andre
"Good performance comes from good practice, Great performance comes from the heart - Andre Limantara"
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1140 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
I used to use the Cros version walk-around all the time. Very strong effect . . .
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2003-02-03 17:14, Chuck Wonsik wrote:
Hello all! I have been going through old effects that I havn't used in a while and found Twilight. I started playing with it and realized that this is a beautiful effect. I'm not sure why I didn't like it when I bought it years ago, but now I think it has a lot of potential. Has anyone improved on this effect over the years?

I remember vividly the first time I saw this effect performed was by Doug Henning on one of his TV specials. he began with "You know, one of the most magical things we encounter in our everyday life is a mirror. The reflections we see in a mirror look real, but they're actually an illusion. Wouldn't it be amazing if we could take the reflections in the mirror and make them real? Well let's start with this fifty cent piece. The first thing I do is I throw the......(etc.)

From that moment on I was hooked. For a young boy, watching Doug's performance was one of the most magical experiences I could ever have.
Imagine my delight when years later I bought Paul Harris' book and discovered the routine spelled out for me in glorious detail?

I'll always love ths effect....

I have that Doug Henning special on DVD btw. I'll always treasure it.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Magikrn
View Profile
Veteran user
333 Posts

Profile of Magikrn
Best I have ever seen right here.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BaXpdWUM_bY
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Thank for the link. That young man has some chops!
Chris SD
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Chris SD
I've actually performed this trick in my younger years, but as I become more experienced, and think more about the performance aspect of magic, the entire effect seems too contrived.

Magician begins talking (out of nowhere) about reflections and illusions, and proceeds to pull out a mirror and a funny looking coin.
To me, this just seems like the definition of a canned trick. The theme of the effect necessitates a presentation that would be difficult to segway into, and it uses akward and uncommon props.

Someone mentioned they performed the effect table hopping, but that sounds totally impractical. You'd be standing over the table (terrible posture for this effect), and the coins would make a resounding *thud* as they hit the table.

I think it would be neat for someone to devise a handling using more common objects. Perhaps a borrowed quarter, and instead of a mirror, using the finish on a dinner knife?
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2160 Posts

Profile of RCP
Great ideas.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

I think the coins and mirrors work, I don't beleeve everythign has to be explained and justified. its supposed to be a mystery, are you the magicain or some random guy that does magic? I think it fits fine in context.
Chris SD
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Chris SD
Quote:
On 2007-12-17 00:07, Joshua Barrett wrote:
I think the coins and mirrors work, I don't beleeve everythign has to be explained and justified.

Doesn't that kind of fly in the face of where close-up magic has gone in the last hundred years?

Quote:
its supposed to be a mystery, are you the magicain or some random guy that does magic? I think it fits fine in context.

The method should be a mystery, not the effect.

I think even you'd have to agree that it would be strange if someone, a guy no less, pulled out a mirror and a funny coin that you couldn't touch, and started talking about illusion and reality.
I see magicians all the time just sort of pull out whatever effect they're working on. Yes, you can do magic that way, but you might as well just say "And for my next trick...", because that's what it feels like to the audience.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2007-12-16 18:23, Chris SD wrote:
I've actually performed this trick in my younger years, but as I become more experienced, and think more about the performance aspect of magic, the entire effect seems too contrived.

Magician begins talking (out of nowhere) about reflections and illusions, and proceeds to pull out a mirror and a funny looking coin.
To me, this just seems like the definition of a canned trick. The theme of the effect necessitates a presentation that would be difficult to segway into, and it uses akward and uncommon props.

Someone mentioned they performed the effect table hopping, but that sounds totally impractical. You'd be standing over the table (terrible posture for this effect), and the coins would make a resounding *thud* as they hit the table.

I think it would be neat for someone to devise a handling using more common objects. Perhaps a borrowed quarter, and instead of a mirror, using the finish on a dinner knife?
A half dollar is a "funny" looking coin? What's funny about it and when did that start? They have always looked pretty normal to me..and I have never had a a spectator comment "Hey! That coin is funny!"

And if the mirror is not a normal thing, then I am going to have to ax my Paul Harris Twilight Angels too. Brother,that ain't happenin'.

Also if half dollars are "funny" then do you realize the implications? Do you have any idea how many hundreds of effects on the market utilize a half dollar (from scotch and soda to three fly on down the line) that we would all have to throw out?
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17176 Posts

Profile of joseph
Agreed...Too much thinking like a magician IMO...This effect is awesome, and people
remember effects like this....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

The effect itself is a mystery, what is so ackward or strange about the effect. people understand mirrors. if you take a coin shoudl the reflection of to then pull that reflection out the mirrors that's pretty mysterious.

I don't feel I have to do close up magic with complete everyday items. I'm not a bar magician, I'm a entertainer. there is much to be said about interesting props and strong mystery wrapped in the presentation
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Twilight by Paul Harris (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL