The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Freudian mentalism? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
BH_Magic
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of BH_Magic
Having sifted through some of my library it turns out I was mistaken - turns out I was thinking of some Jungian presentations and the Freud ones I have encountered I cannot share, I'm afraid.
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
It was my pleasure. If anyone enjoys the presentation they are welcome to use it.

Sean
Energizer
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of Energizer
Yeah - That is really nice - Thanks Waters.

And that was your own work as well? Respect!

That is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for.

I should have thought of that myself - 'going Freudian' in a drawing dup, especially as a couple of years ago a friend asked me to provide some notes on the psychological research of drawing duplications and some of the product may have been relevant to this thread. Mind like a sieve!

But I don't think I could have done it in such a fabulous way.

Thanks again.
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
Olly,
I would be honored for you to use it. Thanks for the kind words.

Sean
Energizer
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of Energizer
Alright - here's one for you.

Young guy goes into Freud’s liquor store. The man behind the counter asks to see his id.
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
I like that Olly.

-Jim
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
Me, too! I've got these Jung and Freud finger puppets who take turns with it now in their P&J jag! More material please, Ollie!! Keep 'em coming, lad, please!!!
foreign correspondent, z and lt

inner being worker
Energizer
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of Energizer
Well, to be honest, I cannot claim credit for the above gag, alas. Here's another I found on Her Majesty's internet, but I like it less, coz it's less like Bruce Lee's techniques - i.e. it's not fast and punchy.

Mr. Perkins, the biology instructor at a posh suburban girls' junior college, said during class, "Miss Smythe, would you please name the organ of the human body which, under the appropriate conditions, expands to six times its normal size, and define the conditions."

Miss Smythe responds.

Miss Smythe gasped, then said freezingly, "Mr. Perkins, I do not think that is a proper question to ask me. I assure you my parents will hear of this." With that she sat down, red-faced.

Unperturbed, Mr. Perkins called on Miss Johnson and asked the same question.

Miss Johnson, with composure, replied, "The pupil of the eye, in dim light."

"Correct," said Mr. Perkins. "And now, Miss Smythe, I have three things to say to you. One, you have not studied your biology. Two, you have a dirty mind. And three, you will someday be faced with a dreadful disappointment."

Please do not encourage me to start telling jokes as I'll be up all night, and we'll go off thread.
Energizer
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of Energizer
It is supposed to be about Freudian slips, in case it seems I've suddenly gone off on a tangent.
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
I do like that one also.

Thanks I was in a rather dark mood and am smiling as I type Olly.

-Jim
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
It was fun while it lasted but we're here to work, right?

I should think that a few of Freud's defense mechanisms could be "mentalized." I want to think about this for awhile.

inner being worker
Energizer
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of Energizer
Just read through the gag.

Looks like I slightly mis-told it.
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
Post-Jungian slip?

inner being worker
Energizer
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of Energizer
Yeah ... or some such ...

I looked through your thread, Thomas, on Fairy Tales and found it became hard to follow quite quickly ...

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=161

I couldn't follow all the references ... maybe I missed some important link or something.

But it also got me thinking about the power of the symbolic, and reminded me of another reason why I love the psychodynamic perspective so much. The power of fantasy and imagination - it reaches parts of the brain that other beers cannot reach (to quote a well-known sales slogan in my country). Crucial part of psychology and what makes us human.

This is something that could be woven into our mentalism with ease. It's just doing it in a clearly Freudian (or post-Jungian!) way that might be a tad more tricky.

I'd be interested to read your Masters dissertation, if you'd care to PM it to me, although I may take a little while to get through it. If you'd rather not, no problems.

But also, as I'm none the wiser as to what post-Jungian analytical psychology (right?) is all about, would you please type up a few lines just to give a brief outline ...

I think others who have contributed to this thread would also be grateful to you if you made this effort.

I think you are right that a lot of Freudian defence mechanisms could be woven into our presentations. I would like to see a routine that demonstrates confabulation or rationalisation, if such a thing were possible.

Ultimately, people have to interpret what we do when we perform - even if their interpretations don't obviously seem to involve defensive manoevures. So us mentalists see confabulations and rationalisations whenever we perform. If only we could hold up a mirror and show it back to our spectators!
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
I errored when I said Jung's Tower was on a river...it's on a lake...my own post-Jungian slip.

inner being worker
Energizer
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of Energizer
Put your analyst on danger money, baby!
Energizer
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of Energizer
What is a Freudian slip anyway?

Isn't it where you do one thing, but mean to do your mother....
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Ohhh do I hear rim shot?

Yep I did.

Killer line.

J ack

H.o.A-X
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
Jung puppet loved it but Freud puppet didn't get it.

Projection, anyone? Some sublimation, perhaps?

inner being worker
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Yep my favorite thread this month is this.

Of course the Freud puppet would not get it he is an ID-Iot.

J ack

H.O.A-X
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Freudian mentalism? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL