The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Logos (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
jonathandupree
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of jonathandupree
Has anyone ever used a company called http://www.TheLogoLoft.com ?

If so, I would appreciate any feedback good and bad.

Thanks,
Jonathan Dupree
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
No I have never used this company.
But clicking your link, jammed up my computer.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
jonathandupree
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of jonathandupree
Not sure why, when I clicked the link it went to the company's website. Not trying to jam up your computer just asking for some info if anyone knows.

Thanks,
Jonathan
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
The link seems to be working fine for me, and they have some nice logo's in their portfolio!

Looks good. =]
-Vinnie
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Why on earth do magicians think they need a logo?

You're not Coca-Cola, you're not AT&T, and you never will be.

Wste of money and total diversion of your attention from where your efforts will do you some good.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
I totally disagree with Ross on this one. I think a logo is HUGE for people to remember you. I have used my current logo since 93 and it is on everything. I know it works because I always have people comment saying "Oh I saw your ad in the phone book, they were familiar with the logo.

If you get the right logo they DO work. http://www.thelogocompany.com is pretty good as well.

Ken
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I also respectfully disagree with Ross. Anyone who is going out to perform and getting paid for it is a professional. You are not only that but you are a brand and the brand is you. You need to let the clients and prospects know who you are and what your services are all about. An effective logo will do just that.

Often times in this busy consumer world of ours, we come across the word “brand” numerous amounts of time even in just one afternoon. We see it on TV, in the mall and all around the world we live in. But what is a brand and what does it mean to you the performer? Can this brand idea work for me and if so how do I go about it?

Let me start by saying that a brand is a visual, emotional, rational and cultural image or feeling that one person associates with a company, product or service. Companies with well established brands are the companies that we consumers remember when we go to make a purchase. We associate good feelings with the company or product and that influences what product we might buy on any given day.

For example, when you think of Nike, you think of certain visual and emotional responses. Some of the items that come to mind are Michael Jordan, “Just Do It”, athletics, quality shoes and apparel. All of these images and feelings derive just from Nike’s successful brand and brand message that they put out in the marketplace.

The fact that you remember the brand name and have positive feelings toward that brand makes your product selection easier and enhances the value and satisfaction you get from the product.

You can think of your own brand as an investment. It does not happen over night. The brand must be developed, nurtured and matured in the minds of the customer before you can reap your rewards. But is it worth it? Yes.

Many companies have spent many dollars and effort developing their brand and making sure their message gets out to the customer. Time is spent on building the perception of the brand in the minds of the individuals your services are trying to target.

But why are brands important for the magician? The branding of your company and its products will increase the public awareness of your services. This in turn increases your reputation in the community for providing a quality product. And the ultimate difference can be seen in the increased revenue that is generated by an increase in shows.

Branding will also provide a higher level of consistency and continuity in your advertising and marketing materials. The increased awareness will make your services and your products stand out from the others in your market, making it easier for people to buy your services over someone else.

But what are parts of a good brand that will make people think positively towards my own brand? Brand elements such as logos, postcards, ads, posters, taglines and packaging are all key ingredients for creating these positive feelings toward any given brand. For example, if a person has a perception that shoes by Nike are top quality, they will look for the Nike logo where ever they go to buy shoes. This Nike logo then becomes a driving force in their mind. Whenever they see the Nike logo they will think quality products.

The first step in creating any good brand is to create a brand message statement. This statement tells, in few words, what business the company is in, what benefits it provides and why it is better than the competition. Once this brand statement is created, then every piece of your promotional materials needs to be able to reflect back on this statement and meet its criteria. If it does not, then the promotional piece is not working properly. This helps you to make sure that every piece of material that is used to promote your brand is consistent in its message to the consumer.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Well, in this and a nearby topic most folks seem to disagree with me.

But I don't think there's much point to staying awake nights worrying about (or spending $$$ on) a logo.

Why?

I do want to look professional, but I don't think a logo is ALL THAT GREAT of an attraction. Example: I want phone service. Am I impressed more by the company with the best logo? No. Do I care what the logo looks like, or do I care what the company's reputation is? And does the company's logo establish or enhance my perception of its reputability?

When searching an unfamiliar market (as most people approach hiring a magician) of course they want a performer they can count on. For that reason, a logo may help establish an image of reputability, YEAH, TO AN EXTENT. But I still maintain that your CONTENT (your advantages, your ability to inspire confidence by your experience and your apparent knowledge of what the customer's needs are) are far more important.

Certainly when I am in unfamiliar territory - say, looking for a plumber or roofer - I "dive in" (open a web search or the yellow pages) and look for substance. I never even look at the tiny one-line ads or the amateurish displays, but I do look at those with confidence-building content: guarantees, association memberships, years of service, consumer ratings, features. Logos? Don't care. Logos and slick full-page ads? I shy away from them in many cases (I may be be 'just another shmo' to them instead of a valued client ...I may be ground up in the gears of their money machine).

Likewise, looking on the net, so far I've tended to ignore the 'sponsored links.' I figure if they've got that kind of money, they're not going to care about mine. But I will pay attention to the top links below the sponsored ones - and, BTW, a logo is a graphic not a text object...it won't do anything to improve your standing in the search engines.

Am I saying 'forget a logo'? No. Having a modest one may help establish your credibility as a professional. But I'm saying don't lose sleep over it, make sure it's readable instead of 'flash for the sake of flash', and spend your time improving your appeal.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
I think I will order the Bronze Package at logoloft.... I already sent an email...I will keep you guys posted on the job!!!
keithmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of keithmagic
Ross -

GREAT points. I think post of the logo/poster creation/insert other marketing gimmicks here - mainly serve to inflate the ego of said magician - and I never thought of this one until I heard a comment about it the other day - INTIMIDATE other magicians. I actually heard a magi talking about being worried about a new guy in town that had a slick logo and better glossy promo. I asked - yeah - but what about his show... The response... huh... never thought of that!

Keith
Author of "The Festival Entertainer" The Professional Entertainer's Guide to Booking and Working Outdoor Fairs, Festivals, and Events.
Available at http://www.howtobookfestivals.com
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
The point here should not and never be about a logo looking "slicker" or "cooler" than someone else's. That is the problem I always have as a professional Graphic Designer. The problem is that people just have the wrong idea of what a logo is and what it should properly do for you. A logo is not something that is done to just look pretty or look cooler and it should not be judged against someone else's.

A logo is created to brand and communicate your services and ideals of the company or person it represents. If you are creating a logo ONLY to intimidate someone else or to inflate your own ego, then you are doing it for the wrong reason.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

MAGICBYTIM
View Profile
Special user
Louisiana
531 Posts

Profile of MAGICBYTIM
I do not know anything about this logo company but I used Kyle (magic4u02 on the Café) to design my logo. I bought his profession package which appears to be cheaper than the packages on this logo sight. You will have to get with him for pricing though. I filled out a questionnaire and then about a week later I had 12 to 15 designs to choose from. He revised two of them and sent them back in a day. Then I chose a design and he sent me about 15 color samples to choose from. Then I had him revise some of the colors. After I finalized the design he put together two cd's and mailed them to me. These two cd's had my logo in both a high and low res file, a designed business card, and stationary. He also gives you the logo in color and black and white. This service seems to be a lot better then the website listed above and it is done by a magician and not just a logo company. He also can be very helpful in the design stage for "branding".

I would highly recommend Kyle,

Tim
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Tim: Many thanks my friend. It is greatly appreciated. I am hoping your new logo and branding has been working well for you. It was a real pleasure to work with you on your new design and to get it to communicate who you are wnd what you bring to the markets you work. Thanks again.

I also think there is something to be said about working with someone who is a magician and understands and speaks the same language. This is not to say do not work with any design copmpany. If they know how to do their job well, they will seopdn enough time up front with you to go over the important questions with you.

A designer is only as good as the information he or she gathers from the company or person the logo is being created for. The designer MUST know who the person is about, what markjets they serve and what makes their services better or unique. Only then can a designer design a logo that fits this need and communicates these qualities.

So no matter who you work with, ask many questions and make sure they are educated that not all magicians are alike and that their notions of what magic is and what you do, may not be completely accurate. so work with them upfront to make sure they understand this before design begins.

I hope this helps some of you. My pleasure. Thanks again Tim.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Hi - A good logo is a great idea but I would consider making one for you rather than your website.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Well in many ways a logo is and should be all about you and the services you and/or your company represents. It brands you and your services in the minds of the people who are seeing your marketing materials. A good logo does this.

A good logo or brand mark is also used and should be carried over into all aspects of effective marketing. This means it should be on your business card, stationary, brochures, posters and yes, even your website should have your logo on it. The idea is to use it consistently so that you build what we refer to as brand recognition.

Hope this helps.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

Ed Garcia
View Profile
New user
Lindenhurst, IL
35 Posts

Profile of Ed Garcia
Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not understanding something here. Those who are seemingly against logos or simply don't see the value in them seem to want to compare it to the quality of the product. In other words, they feel that the quality of the product is more important than the logo. While I'm not here to argue that point, I hate to think that they aren't able to realize that a good logo and a good product can go together.

You can have companies and businesses out there have the slickest looking logo on the planet, but very shotty service. You can have someone give the greatest service ever seen, but have no logo at all.

Why not use the best of both worlds and have a quality logo AND a quality product? It doesn't have to be one or the other... you can have both.

Just imagine the possibilities of having both? Not only will people appreciate your product, but they can easily recognize your product whenever they see your logo.

Sure, we may not be corporations... we're not soft drinks or phone companies or department stores, but we still expect people to hire us and buy into our services. The way it looks to me, the only difference between us and the big corporations is what we provide and how we provide it.

If you don't want a logo or feel it isn't an important, that's your opinion and I respect that. I just feel that if you want to give yourself the best chances possible at being successful, recognize that you are in show business, with an emphasis on business.

-Ed
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Can you guys believe I wrote them twice in a week inquiring about a 200$ package and I have not gotten a reply yet??? hmmmmmmm
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1850 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Eric:

I did spring for the Bronze pack, and the 1st 4 concepts that were sent to me were hideous. The were either ugly, or occultish! I wrote them back and told them (very nicely) that I was a magician, not a member of a wiccan coven. They responded and said that they would try again with a different artist, but I haven't heard back yet.

Chris
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Thanks for the heads up.... How long has it been? (since the reply)
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
As a graphic desiogner and a magician, I can only say that they did not do their job well enough as they should have. the problem is that most designers who are not magicians do not realize what magic is all about. They also think magic is only one perconceived image and have no real idea that magic is so vastly different.

This is one reason why I design a lot for magicians. As a professional graphic designer and illustrator by trade and a magician, I find that I speak the same language as we all do here. This allows me to really customize my logos and design work to the type of magic and markets you particularly work for. It allows me to create the perfect logo mark that works for your needs.

Ths is them with a lot of online design service shops is that they do not understand magicians and they do not spend enough 'up front" time with the client (You), to really understand who you are and the services you provide. A designer must do this if he or she is going to be able to design an effetcive logo image that communicates effectively.

Hope this information helps you guys.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Logos (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL