The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Classic Palming 4 Coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

leefoley3
View Profile
Elite user
Texas
402 Posts

Profile of leefoley3
Hello All- I've been studying coin magic for quite some time. As I have mentioned in other posts, it took me two years to perfect my classic palm. In David Stone's Vids. he palms four half dollars. I can only palm three. The fourth ALWAYS falls. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.-Lee.
In December of '06 I was diagnosed with a very rare cancer, Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans. One in a million people worldwide are diagnosed with this type of cancer annually. Sarcomas account for 1% of all cancers. Knowledge is power!
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
If the 4th is falling out slide the stack a little more into your palm (away from the wrist) where you have more meat to your hand. Just make sure you still use the same palming muscles.

Or you could switch to thinner coins like Barber Halves.
Click to visit:
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Or you could switch to cards. I can palm a whole bunch using cards. Smile
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
aznviet6uy
View Profile
Veteran user
Santa Rosa, CA
315 Posts

Profile of aznviet6uy
do the thumb palm, unless the trick requires the classic palm. either way works =)

-Chris
shhh..... I see Magicians.....
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Quote:
On 2003-02-04 01:53, aznviet6uy wrote:
do the thumb palm, unless the trick requires the classic palm. either way works =)

-Chris

Unless you are trying to pick up another coin with the hand you are holding out. You're pick up will look very odd with your thumb frozen to the side of your hand.

The simple fact is there is not many sleights that can subsitute for a good classic palm WHEN the classic palm is needed. The classic palm gives you full motion of your fingers and thumb to manipulate other objects. The palm is well suited to using coins on a close up pad, or with spectator's hands, or any time spectators are looking downward at your hands and your hands are turned down.

Curtis Kam makes a good point in the "Is the Classic Palm going out of Style" thread: That the use of the classic palm declines as you bring the magic up to chest level. With your hands at chest level you are much more apt to flash a coin held in classic palm. The finger palm becomes the primary concealment.
Click to visit:
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
Unfortunately, classic palming four coins only comes with practice.

But you can 'step' the coins. (The four coins are on top of one another, but one is offcenter from the one underneath it.)

This makes it a lot easier to hold out more coins.

Some coin magicians call this cheating, but the only people who care are magicians. I'm pretty sure muggles are not going to care much if the stck is together or stepped.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
When you step coins it makes it harder to release each coin one at a time by relaxing the palm muscle, that is the only disadvantage to what you say James.
Click to visit:
Isramagia
View Profile
Regular user
Bayamon, Puerto Rico
114 Posts

Profile of Isramagia
I don't know but it seems to me that the distance between palming three coins and four coins is not that great. I seem to remember working a long time to acquire a good, convincing and natural classic palm and next working on multiple coins and releasing them one at a time. I wonder if Leefoley3 is having a particular problem with multiple coin palm, e.g. releasing them or is it just the number. Does anyone else have a problem with palming 4 coins versus 3? Smile
Izzy
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
Ok, I must be dislexic, because I find it the opposite Dan, I find it easier to drop coins from the stepped multiple classic palm, then the traditional.
JoshCarter
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of JoshCarter
Yes Dan i have to agree with James it is mush easier to drop coins from the stepped multiple classic palm to the traditional.

Smile
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
It depends on which way you are stepping them. I assumed that since James said it makes it easier to hold more coins to step them he was stepping the coins so that the coins more toward the hand are being held in by the coin below it. You can basically just palm one coin and have all the rest sit between this one coin and your hand stepped.

Now if you step the coins the other way so that the coin below it is not helping to hold the coin in, then I can't see how this is any easier than just palming the stack. In either case (stack or stepped this way) you have to have palm muscles holding each coin.
Click to visit:
leefoley3
View Profile
Elite user
Texas
402 Posts

Profile of leefoley3
Thanks for all the great input everyone. I really appreciate all of your suggestions and opinions. I'll keep on practicing and I will get it. Thanks again for the boost.
In December of '06 I was diagnosed with a very rare cancer, Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans. One in a million people worldwide are diagnosed with this type of cancer annually. Sarcomas account for 1% of all cancers. Knowledge is power!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Classic Palming 4 Coins (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL