The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Shadow Origami (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
reynold
View Profile
Elite user
Puerto Rico
490 Posts

Profile of reynold
Sometimes called Shadow Theater or Folding Shadows. I recently purchased this illusion from Owen Redwine. I have done it only twice fooling around in two small shows. Now is in the warehouse in the process of real routining to be in my new show 2008.

Question: Anybody with experience with the prop or seen it performed, do you think is incomplete to end with a vanish (thats what I felt in my two trials) or it is anticlimatic to bring her back.

Thanks,
Reynold
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
I feel that ending with a vanish is cheating your spectators.
STEPHANE-ARNOW
View Profile
Regular user
FRANCE
136 Posts

Profile of STEPHANE-ARNOW
Maybe in a serie of illusion in continue, it can be a good idea. and the lady will reappear few minutes after in a prop that your assistant bring from backstage?

Use as a vanish for that trick, that what I want to do too. To have a different effect as the rest ofthe show.
But it is right that
the audience are waiting for his reapparance. Or to be not anti climax, the music will arrive at the end at this moment, to make understand that the routine is over. I think this part (music)is important.

Give your opinion about this.
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
Reynold,
I too am in the same boat, my shadow theater is in the warehouse ending with a vanish does nothing the audience are there sitting waiting for more. You can ask the audience if they have any questions then tell then you will reverse the process.
markparker
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
350 Posts

Profile of markparker
Reynold,

How about making an adjustment to the folding form so it morphs into a small box...carry this to the front of the stage...curtains then close and the girl is loaded from the shadow prop into an origami behind the curtain if you own one...then produce a small replica of the girl in doll form out of the box...pass the box to a stage assistant who goes through the curtain and ditches the box and is then seen apparantly placing it onto the origami table as the curtains reopen (neat timing rehearsals and this would look great)...unfold the box and reproduce her. I have seen someone perform the box ruse before for just an origami presentation, but can't be sure who...it may have been the majestix but don't quote me on that, so you would possibly have to get permission to use that idea....
Just a few ideas for you.

Best

Mark
http://www.illusion-designer.com - Bespoke Illusion design - Publications -Show consultancy....Vivify a collection of stage illusions limited edition of 500 copies available now.
reynold
View Profile
Elite user
Puerto Rico
490 Posts

Profile of reynold
Stephane Arnow: Producing the girl later from another prop (blamo box or fire cage) is a good idea but that will not solve the problem on the spot. Where people don't know if is over or if they should aplaud. Maybe your music idea combined with something else could hit the spot.

Magical dimension: you are right. I studied other vanishes like deKolta chair and usually the girl comes back from the back of the audience or tip over, etc. But DC doesn't bring her back, maybe it is justified with the storyline.

Lusion: from your experience and mine (only 2 performances)we should reverse the proces but I don't think the prop allows it. In case it did, I was thinking not to unfold it, but to inflate it with the bicycle tire pump. Ala david with the kid wringler. What do you think?

Mark Parker: great to contact you again. It has been a very long time. I will PM what happened to me that never replied to you. But anyway by your post its proven once more you are a visionary, great idea! Not practical for everybody and every situation. But you are thinking outside traditional parameters.

Thank you,
Reynold
vj022
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of vj022
I actually have a routine designed where you fold one girl up and bring back a second girl. Let me know if you're interested in the routining.
reynold
View Profile
Elite user
Puerto Rico
490 Posts

Profile of reynold
Vj022: Sounds interesting. Still using the same prop? Please give me more detai;s in PM please.
Thanks,
Reynold
gulamerian
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of gulamerian
I am not sure who built your prop, but they can be used to produce a girl.
reynold
View Profile
Elite user
Puerto Rico
490 Posts

Profile of reynold
Gulamerian: yes I know, but the prvious post talks about a second girl.

Thanks,
Reynold
gulamerian
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of gulamerian
Reynold: Sorry, I was refering to your comment about reversing the process but not sure if the prop would allow it. I thought you were talking about producing the girl. Vinny's idea where you fold up one girl and bring back another does use the same prop. It just might be what you are looking for.
reynold
View Profile
Elite user
Puerto Rico
490 Posts

Profile of reynold
Gulamerian: Do you own one?
Reynold
gulamerian
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of gulamerian
Reynold, I sent you a PM.
STEPHANE-ARNOW
View Profile
Regular user
FRANCE
136 Posts

Profile of STEPHANE-ARNOW
With my Shadow theater, both effect are possible: Vanish or Production.

I 'm interested to present it as a vanish as in the Steinmeyer book. If you have ideas to give a more effective impact if used in vanish, contact me in PV.

If you are interested about this illusion, I sell it in my Local Store in France. Building at your request and shipping in different way (economical or fast) . Ask me on PV to have photo and prices. Prices very interesting cause we have a discount in july of this item.

Cheers
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
Reynold,
Does your shadow theater allow for 2 Girls? That is a lot of work on the assistants behalf. Nice concepts but how practical? Girl 1 gets in get folded and is gone, unfold and now its girl #2? I dunno
My shadow theater is not that big.
reynold
View Profile
Elite user
Puerto Rico
490 Posts

Profile of reynold
Lusion: mine is made for just one. I prefer it that way for size practicability.
Reynold
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
That what I am saying mine way built for 1 and I can't see builing another or moding mine. I love this illusion but I have been trying to get a strong patter for it. Its a great effect but still missing that 'little something'
gulamerian
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of gulamerian
Lusion, you should contact vj022 {Vinny} he is a really nice guy, and his idea of the second girl uses the standard Shadow Theater. All the best.
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
Yes I have spoken to Vinny and he has some nice ideas but nothing that goes with the flow of my show.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2007-07-18 22:51, reynold wrote:
[...]
Question: Anybody with experience with the prop or seen it performed, do you think is incomplete to end with a vanish (thats what I felt in my two trials) [...]

The performance as laid out in the book does have this problem, but we solved this with clever scripting that created a nice "cathartic" ending for the audience.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Shadow Origami (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL