The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Unexpected (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
How many of you have seen this? I watched the entire dvd earlier and loved it. I'll have to watch it again. These guys (Marc and Peter) have amazing chemistry and it was a super fun dvd to watch. Awesome impromptu ideas, I already performed "A Tribute To Mr. Kane" and I also liked "Perfect ESP" but I thought of using it with regular cards instead of ESP cards. "Busch Brain Buster" is awesome but a little too involved for the kind of performing I do (casual while out usually). So far I liked "Drinks On The Patio" with the super useful and effective extra bits, "Take Note", and "Single Handed Geller" but I'll have to practice that one and find someone to do the work for me. Whatever these guys put out, Im going to get. Super fun and informative. Excellent!

Anabelle
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2136 Posts

Profile of gabelson
Can't BELIEVE you're bringing this up now, Anabelle! Was just watching it tonight. I have felt that this DVD set has not gotten NEARLY the attention it deserves. There have been many comments of it not being truly "impromptu", which, IMHO, is silly. Using just business cards and currency not impromptu enough? There is such a thing as being TOO much of a purist. There have also been complaints that only a novice can glean anything from this- I disagree. As you said, "Drinks on the Patio" is based on a VERY old technique, but adds a wrinkle that takes it over the top. I performed "Perfect ESP" to an established mentalist (something I certainly am not) and it fooled the heck out of him. Even though I was using Beyond ESP 2 cards, and he knew their workings, he still couldn't figure it out. In fact, when I told him to hide the cards, it fooled him even more! "Take Note" is another oldie but goodie, done by many of the greats. Yet here, it's presented in a unique and refreshing way. It irks me that Maven's "Nothing" got all the attention as THE "propless mentalism" DVD, when, in fact, "Unexpected" takes LESS preparation, and is, to me, FAR more powerful than anything on "Nothing". (Anything on nothing??) It's killer to Maven's filler. Rare, when I find DVDs that have so many "workers" on them. Hats off to Nardi and Spellman. Good call, Anabelle!
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
I love Maven and Nothing had incredible information (I loved listening to the discussions) but I had more fun and got more practical, useful material (at least for me) from Unexpected than from Nothing. I have them both though and wouldn't like it any other way.

Anabelle
E.C. Valdemar
View Profile
Veteran user
Orange County, CA
301 Posts

Profile of E.C. Valdemar
I had it. Liked it. But didn't love it. No I didn't think it was that impromptu because there always needed to be a "Set-up" before hand. A set up that you couldn't do in front of people. If I remember right there was about 2 effects on there that you could set up in front of people, but most were one's you'd have to head to the restroom for a minute to set up. That was my problem w/ them. For me the idea of Impromptu isn't that you are using everyday items instead of expensive props; it's that you could do them at almost anytime anyplace on the spot w/o a set up. Did the material on the DVDs meet that requirement? IMO Sadly no.
Rob-ing you of your thoughts www.themindofrobert.weebly.com
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3777 Posts

Profile of takeachance
I thought it was the best mentalist DVD release since the Osterlind series, certainly the best I've bought in a long while. Most of the effects took extremely limited set up, which made them very informal to perform. The serial bill revelation is great, and if the set up is too much for some to say its not impromptu enough, well I'm glad they're not using it. Great value and great information, I'm no novice and got plenty from these DVD's. These have been greatly under rated IMHO
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2136 Posts

Profile of gabelson
Hey, E.C.-- Why would you head to the restroom when you can just write a few things on business cards and bills, then keep them in your wallet for good? You know, unless you need the cash. Or have to go to the restroom for another reason.
Anabelle, I agree that the discussion sections of the "Nothing" DVD were fascinating and insightful. But for a man who is a strong, theatrical presence (which Max is), he was remarkably slow on his feet when things didn't go as planned... which was often. There was a TON of "dead air", with Max not knowing what to say, which is embarrassing enough for a performer of his stature, let alone for a DVD release. I've seen magicians, mentalists and comics who've only got a COUPLE of years under their belt work a crowd better. Not to say that Max isn't capable of it- of course he is- and that's what disappointed me so- Max KNOWS theater; he lives and breathes it. Which is why releasing a DVD of such lackluster performances is inexcusable.
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2136 Posts

Profile of gabelson
Takeachance, I couldn't agree with you more. Despite the fact I've gotten more from Osterlind's Mind Mysteries and ETMMM DVD's than any other mentalism series (I idolize Richard), I STILL got more out of "Unexpected" than Richard's new "No Camera Tricks".
E.C. Valdemar
View Profile
Veteran user
Orange County, CA
301 Posts

Profile of E.C. Valdemar
Quote:
On 2007-07-19 00:34, gabelson wrote:
Why would you head to the restroom when you can just write a few things on business cards and bills, then keep them in your wallet for good? You know, unless you need the cash. Or have to go to the restroom for another reason.

Marc and Peter suggested heading off to the restroom themselves on the DVD. I loved the routines. BUT I wanted On the Spot stuff. I'm not saying the routines were useless, I'm saying they weren't as Impromptu as I'd like. And if you are carrying prepared items on you all the time is that really Impromptu? IMO A CT is Impromptu. Banachek's Ring of Truth is Impromptu. Jay Leslie's Musical Chairs is Impromptu. Having stuff already made and ready in your pocket or wallet isn't Impromptu IMO. I mean that isn't Unexpected -- that's Expecting.

And I'm not saying I would never use the material on these DVDs. It is very good material!!! It's just not my idea of Impromptu. That's all I'm saying.
Bertrand Thornley
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
278 Posts

Profile of Bertrand Thornley
Quote:
On 2007-07-19 00:40, gabelson wrote:
Takeachance, I couldn't agree with you more. Despite the fact I've gotten more from Osterlind's Mind Mysteries and ETMMM DVD's than any other mentalism series (I idolize Richard), I STILL got more out of "Unexpected" than Richard's new "No Camera Tricks".

I absolutely agree, but have been timid to say so for fear of lynching; especially on another forum Smile
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business." Tom Robbins

Personal Revelation: I'm not a hippopotamus
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2136 Posts

Profile of gabelson
Unfortunately, Bertrand, fear of lynching affects much of our posting, which is a shame, because it's the opposite of what this forum and the sharing of ideas, should be all about. It should be supportive, nurturing, and helpful. A place to express your ideas without fear of reprisal or knee-jerk attacks. Now, much of what goes on here at the Café DOES meet all the criteria I have mentioned, amd for that I am grateful, but there are too many fragile egos, too many petty tyrants ready to pounce.

And E.C., a CT is impromptu, I agree with you. But what of the mentalist who carries around an Osterlind PCT pad, (as I do, everywhere I go), because the paper is perfect for numerous tears and peeks. How is that more impromptu than dollars and business cards? Or ia it NOT impromptu because I'm carrying specific paper?

I carry Bryn Reynold's BusinessCOIN prediction in my wallet. I regularly knock people's socks off with that, and it's extremely low-tech and simple. In what way is that "Expected"? For that matter, in what way is ANY of the material on "Unexpected" "expected"? Following that reasoning, any peek wallet is "expecting", as it is not as "organic" as a CT. In the end, it makes no difference which you use. Both are as "unexpected" to the audience as the other.
bear trees
View Profile
Loyal user
uk
263 Posts

Profile of bear trees
I watched mine again a few days ago.Its easy to follow routine follows method which I like.Also when was the last time you bought a mental dvd with 6 or 7 strong effects,not ground breaking but solid effects,usually your lucky to find 1 or 2 on a dvd.Also Peter and Mark gel really well as Anabelle pointed out,a great dvd.
Jason
Virungan
View Profile
Inner circle
Here and There
1156 Posts

Profile of Virungan
I thought this was a fantastic release... And Anabelle, with regard to the Busch Brain Buster effect, I also thought it seemed a little fussy and complicated for an impromptu performance, but give it a try, it's a real worker, I get great reactions with it...
Smile When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth...Smile
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3777 Posts

Profile of takeachance
I guess people have a different understand of impromptu. To me, it doesn't mean propless. By having a simple TT on me, if asked, I can perform a miricle to a lay person on the spot. I can set up almost immediately, by just killing time with a little conversation. The same with a lot of the material on these DVd's. By having a bill folded at the back of my money clip, that I can steal as I pay for a drink while at the same time asking them to fold a bill and put it under a glass is as impromptu as it gets. There are a couple of good totally impromptu effects (ring of truth being one) but for me it doesn't pack the same punch as a serial number revelation (for example) To be entertaining when asked to be by people, well I don't mind a little preperation. The prep on these DVD's is very small and nothing to have on you when you go out. Its not like you have lots of magic factory props in a suit case when you walk into a venue. The effects on these DVD's certainly lift you well above your Uncle Charlie who did a couple of card tricks at the family get together. If performed as a paid entertainer or down the local with your mates, either scenario your going to be taken seriously and entertain people if you polish your routines using the info from Unexpected. And that is exactly want I want without carrying lots of props, I want to entertain!
E.C. Valdemar
View Profile
Veteran user
Orange County, CA
301 Posts

Profile of E.C. Valdemar
Hey very good points Gabelson and Takeachance! I really can't argue w/ what both of you were saying. Effects that require a little more prep do pack more punch then something like Ring of Truth. Though I do have to say that maybe it's just me but I have very very strict guidelines for what I call Impromptu. I not saying it has to be Propless {Though I do like those effects}. And I don't see anything wrong w/ setting up a little in front of the audience. As long as it's nothing that will not give away the secret. FOR EXAMPLE: prefolding and writing on a business card to do Acidus Novus. You could totally set up Acidus Novus and Acidus Plus infront of people and that wouldn't give away anything. A couple of the effects on Unexpected used two way outs. Someone watching you closely at a table could very well see you writing down one of the outs. That was one of my problems. And one of their {Marc and Peter's} solutions was to head to the bathroom to set it up.

So, like I said I just have very very strict standard for Impromptu.

To tell you the truth; if this DVD set would have had just ONE COMPLETELY Impromptu ON THE SPOT killer routine that I knew I could use anywhere, anytime w/ almost nothing I would be on your guy's side and defending this DVD set just because of that ONE EFFECT. HONESTLY! But, IMO it just did not have.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
I have this DVD too and it rocks! The Martin/Lewis of Mentalism! (Whose who, varies from effect to effect)...

Nice straight forward effects and easy to set up quickly...

Just get ready to invest in a large supply of your business cards since you'll be going through a lot Smile

As for "One good effect" - they had TONS - the real key is how YOU will present them... just because Peter and Marc present it in a light and happy way doesn't mean it cannot be altered to mean all sorts of awesome implications that rock space/time...

How many killer effects are based on a simple peek and cut of cards.. or just a PW method?

Nope, I'd have to say the beauty of the DVD is that the effects are good and can be made to what you want them - and are taught in a very nice way that is not pontificating....

(It was as fun as learning from Boris Pocus!)
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3353 Posts

Profile of Looch
Peter & Marc = Bill & Ben of mentalism Smile
Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/ Learn Mentalism with the Pro's: https://www.mymind.rocks
Mentalisten
View Profile
New user
London, UK
62 Posts

Profile of Mentalisten
I agree totally with Dr. Spektor. I recently bought the DVD and though it was great and I was immediately thinking of how I would incorporate them into my way of performing etc. Marc and Peter even suggest to do this.

Many of the routines are adaptations of well-known ideas from taken effects that are usually done with much preparation such as for stage (ie. serial numbers, book tests to name two). However, on this DVD the two mentalists have provided methods and ideas that allow for a more impromptu way of doing these. Yes, a little prep is needed but, as takechance mentions, this can be done during some patter relating to the effect. This appears to be impromptu to the spec and, in contrast to other methods, they pretty much are impromptu for the mentalist.

Highly recommended and look forward to future releases!!

Ross
'Welcome to the Jungle' - Axl Rose
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Who's Bill and Ben?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
fishwasher
View Profile
Inner circle
B'ham uk
1231 Posts

Profile of fishwasher
Sayn lay narn, marli?

http://www.bizarremagic.net
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2136 Posts

Profile of gabelson
<<Bill and Ben??>>
Just what I was thinking, too, Slim. Although Spellman and Nardi are more like Ben and Jerry.

Kidding.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Unexpected (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL