The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Jack Gwynne (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

markis
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of markis
Is there any video of him doing the fish bowls production?
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7351 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
SAM Film library I believe has some footage.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4863 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Jack Gwynne on Youtube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh6lIp3Fpzk

Jack Gwynne and his royal family of magic. Onstage and the nite club in 1930's. Compiled by Andrew Martin.

http://chicagoroundtable.com/
gadfly3d
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of gadfly3d
Jack Gwynne inspired me to develop my own method for the stack of bowls which I used for 5 summers when I worked theme parks.

Gil Scott
Rick Fisher
View Profile
Elite user
Rick Fisher
467 Posts

Profile of Rick Fisher
I have some old footage of Jack and Anne on 1961 Abbott gettogther performing the fish bowls - silent footage tho.
Rick Fisher, President FAB Magic

"One of the largest magic shops in the world!"

www.fabmagic.com
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
I have performed Gwynne's fishbowl routine using his original apparatus. Believe me, it's not as easy as it looks! In my book, "Jack Gwynne," I explain the entire routine and the working. I don't know of anyone who is building the Gwynne style gimmick (actually the Doc Nixon gimmick). I do have one built for me by the late John Pomeroy about 20 years ago and it works beautifully.

Gwynne began performing the effect in about 1919 and did it consistently throughout his career until his death in 1969. That's 50 years. He worked out a lot of nuances and changes in the routine during that time. I estimate he performed it at least 20,000 times on stage.

The big secret of the Gwynne fishbowl routine is the timing between the magician and the assistants. To do it right, you need at least two assistants, and preferably three. There is a lot of misdirection involved, and it's provided by the assistants. By the way, the entire effect from beginnng to end (from the production of the silks to the appearance of the stack of bowls) only take about 90 seconds. But a lot is happening in those 90 seconds!
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7351 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
It is a difficult routine to do. The bowls (with water) are very heavy.

I have considered making a bowl stack release but it doesn't seem the interest is there.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Jack Gwynne (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL