We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren to premiere this week (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
I recall Derren making a student drunk by using a varied mixture of Psychology, Suggestion, Magic, Misdirection and Showmanship, though.

- entity
brainchild
View Profile
Loyal user
Ideological Bigot
259 Posts

Profile of brainchild
I am very excited to see how the ratings are. It's not very often a 'smart' show gets a chance here in the states.
Marc Spelmann
View Profile
Special user
London U.K.
666 Posts

Profile of Marc Spelmann
It'll be interesting to see how his style goes down in the USA, Criss Angel couldn't be more different with his yelling at the camera after each effect, Derren is also quite dry with his humour, he is actually a very funny guy out of performance mode as is Andy Nyman hence they create some lovely humour on stage and in his shows..

I am sure he'll be a huge success as he does have that english gentleman aura about him.. Also he is a really good mentalist and performer..

Good luck to him, you guys are in for a treat, Derren really makes each piece very believable, gives it a process and thus the viewer feels they are in on some of the process but none the less still amazed at what he achieves with that process..

Spelmann
It's not goodbye, just see you later...
Virungan
View Profile
Inner circle
Here and There
1156 Posts

Profile of Virungan
I didn't realise that his US series was a new Americanized version.. I had assumed that it was his old UK "MIND CONTROL" episodes.

This should be interesting, especially to see how some of his routines are "adapted for US audiences".

I hope he is a success and finds his market over there- he deserves it and US audiences deserve to see him in action.

Will he make the jump to mainstream network TV over there? Maybe not, and that may be a good thing- as much of his style isn't really suited to a mainstream primetime network.

Keep in Mind that in the UK his best work was on Channel 4, which is regarded as the more edgy, non- mainstream channel- something they pride themselves on.

I think a lot of his appeal comes from his style that blends charm with occasional wonderful bursts of obscenity- think of how many of his best routines included great casual throwaway lines such as "I like to go there on my huge f***ing yacht" or "One lucky lady may get a finger-ring" or "My own chess is frankly sh*t".

Think of how he introduced the US section of one of his recent shows "I was eager to try this in America where people have smaller brains".

This style really works with an English audience... but perhaps not in puritanical America... some of this stuff would fall flat...

Here's a promo for his UK Channel, with quotes from its leading stars (Derren included)- I can't imagine an NBC promo running like that with the stars of its primetime shows! (You may not want to view that if you are easily offended!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4Nb7G-Rfpo

So perhaps he should stay on cable and maintain his edge, rather than re-package for squeaky clean mainstream network TV...
Smile When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth...Smile
LLL
View Profile
Inner circle
1574 Posts

Profile of LLL
Tony - this was taken from an interview with Jamy Ian Swiss aw while back about why they haven't chosen a major network.

"As far as an American show, what happened was I came over September 11 th of 2001 to do pitch the show--which was obviously a bizarre and amazing time to be there. Obviously a very bad time to be there if you're pitching yourself as a man who can predict the future. So the meetings all got cancelled, we were making inroads with the larger cable outlets and with the networks as well. But all of that obviously just had to stop and we came back. And we got an offer from one of the big cables which we then thought about. And there's an interesting issue, which is if you go with a big network and it doesn't get great ratings the first time, then they just drop you. Whereas a cable company is going to nurture you a little bit more. So it's whether you go for a higher profile immediately or whether you allow cable to nurture you and build the show, and then build over to a network. Which I think probably is a more sensible idea."

mescalitoeyes
The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words.
oombob
View Profile
Special user
Canada
680 Posts

Profile of oombob
Criss Angel... Ed Wood.

Derren Brown... Orson Welles.
oombob
View Profile
Special user
Canada
680 Posts

Profile of oombob
Actually, I quite admire the films of Ed Wood.... so forgive me for the comparison. Criss Angel is a sad victim of A&E's rubberstamp style of TV production. Is this Knievel's Wild Ride?.... Is this Inked?.... Is this Gene Simmon's Family jewels?..... Is This Criss Angel?... Is this formulaic crap?

You know what I love about all of Derren Brown's UK televison endeavours? ...they don't insult my intelligence.
psychicturtle
View Profile
Special user
UK
821 Posts

Profile of psychicturtle
Quote:
On 2007-07-25 01:16, oombob wrote:
Criss Angel... Ed Wood.

Have you never seen Criss's stage show? I'm guessing none of the people who slag him off have. You should, it'll make you realise that he is one of the best stage illusionists of the last 20 years. His 'sawn in half' routine is better then ANY other version out there (and massively better than Copperfields version which is widely regarded as the best by those that don't know...).

But anyway, Derren is the best performer of Psychological illusion I have ever seen (and I have seen most of them that footage exists of). He is also as near to a genius as I have ever come across, his skills in real psychological methods (which he does use quite a bit) are amazing, he is excellent with cards, and he is also a lovely person.

I'd be very interested to see these shows that will air over there.
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2511 Posts

Profile of Waters
I will be embarassed with my own (countrymen), if Derren does not come over well. It will be a sad commentary on our sense of style.

Criss is a magician, not a mentalist. Blaine's appeal was a houdini-like skill of self promotion (of which, I do not dissaprove). Derren has a true artistic sense, which I hope "our fellow Americans" can discern.

Some close friends (some of which had an interest in all things magical) and some family members who had come over to watch some of Derren's series (which I bought, thank you!) have all recognized his subtle brilliance. I was glad to see that they appreciate his artful approach. Each of them thought it all just might be real. QED!

I am proud for Derren, I hope he does well. Cheers!

Sean
oombob
View Profile
Special user
Canada
680 Posts

Profile of oombob
I am not so much slagging Criss Angel as the overly formulaic A&E format of MindFreak.

Here's the formula: Show a 4 second clip of Criss about to be crushed by a steamroller and repeat this throughout the entire show. Intersperse this with countless interviews with Criss's posse on how dangerous and difficult it is to be crushed by a steamroller. End the show with the full clip of Criss being crushed by a steamroller.

Derren Brown's channel 4 shows, in stark contrast, deliver original content, sharp production values, engaging humour, drama, and most of all display an extraordinary creativity at work.
Michael Midnight
View Profile
Regular user
Southern Swamp
104 Posts

Profile of Michael Midnight
Looking forward to this also, as what I've seen and read by Derren Brown have been superb and made me really think about what I try to bring to an audience. I agree with oombob on the Mindfreak series...nothing against Criss Angels work, I just found the whole format boring to a thinking adult. Maybe it scores well with the younger crowd.
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
Does anyone know what time the show is scheduled to be on? I'd like to call my daughter and tell her to TIVO it for me.

Thanks

Steve
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
969 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
10 PM EST
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
psychicturtle
View Profile
Special user
UK
821 Posts

Profile of psychicturtle
Quote:
On 2007-07-25 10:47, oombob wrote:
I am not so much slagging Criss Angel as the overly formulaic A&E format of MindFreak.

Fair enough.
the levitator
View Profile
Special user
Spellbound Productions
546 Posts

Profile of the levitator
My first exposure to Criss Angel was around 1998. It was an A&E special about the history of magic, I believe. They showcased his Metamorphosis illusion. I instantly fell in love with his theatrical style and character. Being a drummer in a heavy rock band, my magical character was also pretty edgy and not the tux & tails type of performer. I even had a few email correspondences with Criss regarding character development and theming a show. He was very helpful and came off as a really nice guy. When Supernatural came out, I was glued to the screen. I thought it was a great show. When Mindfreak came out, I was so happy for him and watched every episode. Yeah, you could say I was a big fan. Now Mindfreak is in season 3, and I find myself forcing myself to tune in. It's become soooo over the top and every single stunt could end his life and has never been attempted and so on. Don't get me wrong, I still think Criss is an awesome entertainer with a very unique stage persona. I just think that A&E's formula is wearing a little thin. I would have thought that by season 3, they might have changed the format a bit to keep it more interesting. I'm glad for Criss' success and he definitely earned it, I just hope they find a way to repackage him a bit to keep it fresh.

I am a huge fan of Derren's. Thank the cyberworld for Youtube for the opportunity to see many of his televised performances! My biggest fear for Derren coming here is that he's almost too smart. As much as I'm ashamed to admit it, Americans (sorry, I'm stereotyping now) seem to think very highly of themselves and considering how we rate with the rest of the world, many times it comes off undeserved to non-Americans. I can see a large portion of the country adopting a standoffish attitude like, "who is this guy with all the fancy talk?" I think Derren may challenge the intelligence of people who may be a bit defensive of a non-American treating Americans like puppets on strings. I hope with every fiber of my being that doesn't happen, and that we as a country embrace Derren and he has much success here. I guess I should have prefaced this all with the fact that I live in a small city in the Midwest, so I'm surrounded by this type of attitude.

I've been telling everyone I know to tune in and have really talked Derren up, as he is one of my current major influences. I'm not influenced by his style so much as his commitment to character and script. He is just so good at what he does, and I hope he is rewarded here for it! I'm pretty excited that we have 2 regular magic/mentalism specials on the air right now! I wish "The Mentalist" would have been more popular too. I initially found Gerry McCambridge kind of annoying when I first saw him on Psychokinetic Silverware. But I really enjoyed his show and found his personality much more engaging on the show than I did as Banachek's sidekick.
"It's all in your head...."

James Anthony
www.jamesanthonymagic.com
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1918 Posts

Profile of DT3
Cruise on over to Derren's Myspace page and you can read some excellent reviews for tonight's episode.

You may want to wait until after watching though ("Spoiler Alert")

4 Hours, 18 Minutes and counting!

I've been waiting for this day for almost seven years.

Those of us familiar with his work (pretty much all of us here) I'm sure have no doubt that he will pull off his debut swimmingly.

Don
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren to premiere this week (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL