The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Do you keep a journal to keep track of what you've performed? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
mrsmiles
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of mrsmiles
I find that I do note down a lot BUT I rarely re-read it(!) For me, I think Mark Wilden said something very wise where he wrote "...the advantage of keeping a journal isn't the reading - it's the writing." Thus I think that it is the process of writing that helps make one more reflective and makes one spend quiet time THINKING about what you do. Consciously and subconsciously this influences, helps and improves me thereafter (I hope/believe). Very well put Mark, you hit the nail on the head (IMO).
Whilst I don't read my reflections on performances (or at least rarely) the one thing I DO read however fairly regularly is my list of tricks including ones I know but ones that I don't often do, plus those I plan to bring in and my newest. This helps me because when I'm put 'on the spot' or if I'm doing a gig and a table or group keeps me for 20 minutes instead of 5 mins, I feel more able to remember and select which tricks to do instantly with confidence and with less hesitation. It also serves as a reminder everytime that I look at my list if I am getting stale/complacent and not working in the new tricks soon enough. That list nags me into dropping things and bringing in new stuff. Works for me anyway.
mrsmiles
(UK)
RebelAce69
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, Canada
53 Posts

Profile of RebelAce69
Well after skimming through you all have some very neat ideas, What I've done so far is after I learn a trick I record it on Notepad, I also organize it by category (Examples:Fire, Rope, Cards (no gimmicks), Cards (Gimmicks, etc.) I haven't gotten a chance to record the reactions I get from certain illusions I perform, except I can pretty much remember what the audiences reaction was because I like to perform it more and more after that.

-RA69
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Do you keep a journal to keep track of what you've performed? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL