The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Why do I have glycerin? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mitchb2
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of mitchb2
I dabbled in magic 2 years ago, then moved on to other things.
I got started again a few months ago, and I'm going full-force, at least at a hobbyist level.

I came across a small unopened bottle of glycerin. My wife put it on my desk and said "Here, this is yours." I asked why in the world I would have something like that, and she swears I bought it for my "magic stuff...whatever."

Any idea why I would buy glycerin for my magic stuff?
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Maybe you were concocting some "hand lotion" (a little rose water and glycerin) to moisturize your hands for a better grip with cards. Or your wife may be mistaken as to what it was bought for.
Cardamagically,
<<<KRaZy4KaRdZ>>> /> <> //
:confused: Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3407 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
One half of the ingredients for self lighting matches or cigarettes?

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1947 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
These are some of the uses of glycerine

I bet you were making dynamite.

Maybe a suppository, but I am not judging anyone.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Froste
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Froste
It's also used to make bubbles more sturdy... maybe you did some bubble magic and were making your own? Then again the dynamite thing sounds possible too... Smile
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2674 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
If you have dry or rough hands it is almost the specific. My guess would be it was as a hand lotion. Best,
Brad Burt
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1953 Posts

Profile of tbaer
I'm going to take a stabbing guess and go with Froste on this one. A certain mixture (glycerin is one of the ingredients) and you can make bubbles that will bounce on a piece of invisible thread.

Do you do bubble magic?
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1947 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Of course..... Maybe your wife is wrong?

I know mine rarely is, to my great embarrassment, but I'm sure it happens off and on.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Wow Josh, this opens a whole range of possible answers . . .
Cards never lie
Froste
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Froste
Maybe your wife was the one making bombs, had to cover her tracks, and decided to pin the glycerin on "that magic you used to do"... Um, she's not reading this, is she? cuz I have a bad feeling about what might happen if she found out that we've found her out...

Scuse me... there's a knock at the door...

<some distant screaming is heard>

<fade to black>

<cut to commercial>
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
I'm going with the hand lotion idea. A mix of glycerin and rosewater.

Mark.
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
How does one make a soap bubble strong enough to bounce on invisible thread? This one sounds interesting! PM me the recipe and any ideas on where to get the ingredients if possible. Please!!!
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3407 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Just add some glycerin to the bubble juice! Experiment!
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
Oddly, I found a bottle of Glycerin in my apartment the other day as well. I think I used it years ago to make my own water color colors. I have found a ton of oils and other obscure chemicals from my alchemist/painter days, that I want to throw out now before any of it self ignites. (Glycerin isn't very dangerous though unless it has the word "Nitro" in front of it. Or so I think).

I too have thought about making my own lotion. The reason being that everything else I'm either allergic to or it is some sort of oily petroleum product like vaseline. I would use real Bees wax and then melt it in a water bath and stir in the Glycerin. Not that I have made lotions for skin before.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1947 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Glycerin isn't dangerous? Noobini, I'm incensed!

Have you ever been walking along in an S&M convention and slipped on a puddle of it ending up in a group of geriatrics who happen to have an abundance of rope and are quicker than they look?
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1953 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Clynim, here's Losander's website to buy his bubble juice.

http://www.magicalvisionsllc.com/isell/product.php?id=110
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
Quote:
On 2007-07-25 22:25, Josh Riel wrote:
Glycerin isn't dangerous? Noobini, I'm incensed!

Have you ever been walking along in an S&M convention and slipped on a puddle of it ending up in a group of geriatrics who happen to have an abundance of rope and are quicker than they look?

According to my repressed memory therapist, yes I have. This may explain why I get this odd involuntary facial twitch whenever I see something made from black rubber or hear Canticum Sacrum by Stravinsky.

I would attach my medical progress chart as a conversational piece but it's in the bookcase behind me and my leash isn't longh enough. Will have to wait until matron returns.

Obediently, The Noob.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
enginemagic
View Profile
Special user
Bluffton Indiana
603 Posts

Profile of enginemagic
This thread soundsl like one of the recipies in this Book called "Chemical magic" by John Lippy,JR my pastor loand me .it has some vwey interesting things you do with chemicals.Many you can obtain from drug stores,ans many you have to have licens to obtain.
theres a lot to learn out there,many interesting subjects,and hobbies to enjoy
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5392 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Glycerine also used to be used to simulate the albumen of a fake egg in a silk to egg trick I once had.
mindshrink
View Profile
Special user
Delhi,India
915 Posts

Profile of mindshrink
Glycerine can be applied to lips and hands,makes them softer and smoother.Usually used as a diluent/moisturiser in many cosmetics.It actually attracts water and is sweet(no pun intended).
Also used to make longer lasting soap bubbles...but bouncing on thread or IT well thtas a new one.Something to do with surface tension.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Why do I have glycerin? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL