The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Still my favorite magic book... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
One Man
View Profile
Elite user
Frederick, MD
491 Posts

Profile of One Man
The Commercial Magic of JC Wagner...followed by The Secrets of Bro. John Hamman.

KEvin
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Scarne On Card Tricks. Smile
Ted Danger
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco/Utila
101 Posts

Profile of Ted Danger
13 Steps to Corinda, and Magic for Dyslectix. How many can we list?
"One may say the eternal mystery of the world is its comprehensibility." Albert E.
Nedim
View Profile
Elite user
istanbul/turkey
444 Posts

Profile of Nedim
Hi everyone,

I started reading Jeff McBrides and Eugene Burgers Mystery School Book. And nearly it became my favourite. Its very different from others. I think you must have in your library.

magicially yours,

Nedim Guzel
JeremyM0411
View Profile
Special user
Moody, Alabama
613 Posts

Profile of JeremyM0411
I would have to say that Tarbell books are the best.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3470 Posts

Profile of Julie
Hi Guys

I would say Tarbell, too.

However, if pressed to select just ONE individual book I would choose Greater Magic for its variety, practicality and overall complete and easy-to-understand instructions in just about all categories of Magic.

Fantastik for Beginners and Professionals alike!

Julie
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3245 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I changed my mind. my new ONLY book is Martin Gardner's "Book of Impromptu Magic"

out of print, hard to find ETC..... but you will NEVER again be at a loss for some trick to pull off at a moments notice!
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
My original idea for this post was to focus on that 'one' book .... IF there is one for 'you' that has given the most to your magic performance. As noted above some folks just can't carve it down that fine and I appreciate that! But, some of us can.

I have any number of 'favorite' books: Stars of Magic, Greater Magic, Tarbells 2,3,4; the Card Magic of Paul LePaul; Routined Manipulations vols 1-2 by Ganson; The Amateur Magician's Handbook by Henry Hay is so close a second to Harry's wonderful book that it was a close thing, but in the end....

It's interesting to me to know what that 'one' book is that had the most influence upon a person. If it's not possible to pare the selection down to one I totally understand.

One of the things that I do find interesting looking at the list above is how many of the books sited are 'older' books. 25-50+ years old! Close-up Card Magic, 13 Steps, the Martin Gardner book, etc. There have been some extrodinary books published in the last 10-15 years, but I find myself forever pulling out the oldies! As noted above...if you have copy of Greater Magic, how can you resist going through it again for the zillionth time and happening upon a gem that you missed the first zillionth times through? Tarbell is the same. I have never been able to just read 'through' Tarbell and thus I can pick up a volume and find things that just tear me up.

What fun. My best to you all,
Brad Burt
Sk8erBoi9305
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of Sk8erBoi9305
J.B. Bobo's modern coin magic.
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Quote:
The real issue is that once we master a book, it remains a sentimental value to us

The real question is "Do we ever truly master a book?" If we're always going back and learning new things from it, or finding tricks that we dismissed the first time round, I would have to say the answer is NO. Even Dai Vernon kept a copy of Expert at the Card Table by his bedside to reference nearly every single day of his life, once he discovered this gem.

Josh, The reason I picked the Fulves and Scarne books that I did is because I like the fact that a GOOD self-working trick, once learned, can help a beginner master presentation, which I consider far more important than just knowing how to do a trick. In my opinion, a good trick without good presentation is still just a trick. A lousy trick, presented well, can not only entertain, but might even come close to being considered art.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2007-08-04 21:38, clynim wrote:
Quote:
The real issue is that once we master a book, it remains a sentimental value to us

a GOOD self-working trick, once learned, can help a beginner master presentation

Are you suggesting that self-working effects are just for beginners? I have been in magic for almost 30 years, and I still love a good self-working effect. Smile
MindMyst
View Profile
New user
Connecticut
32 Posts

Profile of MindMyst
My recommendation would have to be: "Now You See It, Now You Don't" by Bill Tarr. He has put together the strong basics of sleight of hand for cards, coins, and other small objects. Then, he continues on with the concepts of putting together tricks from those sleights. Finally, he develops the work into ideas for stringing together several tricks into basic show routines.

For one book to 'pull' someone into the art, this book has it all.

My 2 cents.

Joe
The Truth Will Set Your Fee
http://mindmyst.blogspot.com/
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2495 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
Dear mr fantasy
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2020 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Sorry but a tie between my first two magic books ever. "The Amateur Magician's Handbook" by Henry Hay, followed by "The Magic Book" by Harry Lorayne. I still do 'Mental Message' till this day thirty years later. I still have both original copies in great shape, although yellowing some.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
jmoran76
View Profile
New user
West Palm Beach, FL
69 Posts

Profile of jmoran76
I agree with Burt...I love Close Up Card Magic. A close second for me is Terry LaGerould's Pasteboard Presentations.
cosmopop1
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of cosmopop1
The Royal Road to Card Magic. It has some absolutely phenomenal stuff in there!
Hawkan
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
472 Posts

Profile of Hawkan
As I´ve said in earlier threads: The Magic Book (Harry L.)

Hĺkan
:wavey:
DLarkins
View Profile
New user
Kingsport, TN
59 Posts

Profile of DLarkins
For me it would be Art of Astonishment v.1 - Paul Harris

I'm a little surprised that no one has mentioned it yet...
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3245 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2007-08-05 08:50, MindMyst wrote:
My recommendation would have to be: "Now You See It, Now You Don't" by Bill Tarr. He has put together the strong basics of sleight of hand for cards, coins, and other small objects......

My 2 cents.

Joe

I thought about putting this one in instead of 13 steps as well... even if you didn't speak any english and just found this book on a desert island you'd be able to begin to master sleight of hand. Sometimes the illustrations are not perfect, but for the most part they are very accurate.

Good choice!

G
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Montethrower
View Profile
Elite user
a little town in nowhere
422 Posts

Profile of Montethrower
Nothing's more nostalgic to me than opening my Stars of MAgic hard-cover. It just smells old and wonderful, all of the stuff it contains. Good memories...

Best,
Monte
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Still my favorite magic book... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL