The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Still my favorite magic book... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
gardini
View Profile
Regular user
Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
158 Posts

Profile of gardini
If I had to choose one book that I coundn't do without it would be the Dai Vernon Book of Magic, so much to learn from it, and if I could only keep one DVD set it would be Dai Vernon Releations,the effects, theroy and history is a must for all magicians no matter how many times I watch theese I always learn more about magic.

Scott
Magicray69
View Profile
Veteran user
Tampa Bay
369 Posts

Profile of Magicray69
Close-up Card Magic by Harry Lorayne.
There was a time I had the blues,

the reason was I had no shoes.

Until I met upon the street

a man who had no feet.
tcted
View Profile
New user
San Mateo, CA
51 Posts

Profile of tcted
Royal Road to Card Magic for me, but I do have Harry Lorayne's Classic Collection on it's way, and I'm guessing that will soon be the new favorite (judging by everybody else's favorites).

Ted
danedover
View Profile
New user
Central Arkansas
22 Posts

Profile of danedover
Quote:
On 2007-07-25 08:06, JackScratch wrote:
Sorry to sound contrary, but it's in my nature. I have real problems with the very nature of this question. It's like asking what your favorite tool in a toolbox is. My favorite tool is the one I need for the job at hand. If I had to answer, it would be a toss up between "Tarbell" and "Mark Wilson's Complete Course..." mostly because, in my opinion, those two works are tool boxes, rather than tools.

I have to agree, the classic books of magic are still the best. I would also add Corinda's 13 Steps to Mentalism.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
I have to say Henry Hay's "Amateur Magicians Handbook", which was my 1st "real" book of magic and has great sentimental value because it survived the '04 hurricane season (in Florida) which destroyed most of my magic collection of books and props.
Cardamagically,
Dom.
:) Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3245 Posts

Profile of gaddy
New entry for me: the omnibus "Secret Ways of Al Baker". Just... Wow!
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
SilentTuba
View Profile
New user
New Jersey
65 Posts

Profile of SilentTuba
What a great topic! There are plenty of books being talked about here I have not previously heard of but will definitely look up.

Right now, my collection consists of really only two books....Royal Road to Card Magic and Mark Wilson's Cyclopedia of Magic.

Royal Road, while a great book, is a little tough to understand. I have to read a passage 2-3 times carefully before I get what they're saying--not a bad thing, though.

The Mark Wilson book, I adore. It was my first magic book (given to me by a friend in High School, who knew I was interested in magic), and I still refer to it for some great tricks from time to time. Very well written and easy to understand, too.
"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." -Frank Zappa
T. Sebastian
View Profile
Loyal user
Ozark Mountains, USA
223 Posts

Profile of T. Sebastian
The most important book in my collection is Ken Weber's "Maximum Entertainment".
So sorry I soiled your precious eyes.
cenafreak0709
View Profile
New user
Memphis
59 Posts

Profile of cenafreak0709
Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. I also like Amateur Magicians Handbook.
gillesA4
View Profile
Special user
Brussels, Belgium
528 Posts

Profile of gillesA4
So, nobody likes 'The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings'???
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. (A. Einstein)
Malus
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Malus
Quote:
On 2008-07-29 03:46, gillesA4 wrote:
So, nobody likes 'The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings'???

I don't have that book...yet. But I am seriously thinking about getting this book. Smile Maybe it would become my favorite once I get it.
Malus.
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3124 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Still love Royal Road to Card Magic, although it's a bit of a bittersweet love. At some point somebody really should take another crack at that kind of book, but include modern touches where they are needed -- eg: improving the Ambitious Card routine, including small packet work (like the Elmsley Count or some such), etc.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
I know I'm a little late to the party, but for me it's "Classic Secrets of Magic" by Bruce Elliott.
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
EATCT
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Smoke and Mirrors - John Bannon
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
I just got my copy of Stars of Magic, no sleep for me tonight.
Ut imago est animi voltus sic indices oculi ~
The face is a picture of the mind as the eyes are its interpreter ~Cicero
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
"Now You See It, Now You Don't" - Bill Tarr. I learned a lot from that book as a amatuer.
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Quote:
On 2008-09-19 04:20, Dynamike wrote:
"Now You See It, Now You Don't" - Bill Tarr. I learned a lot from that book as a amatuer.

Ditto. The first magic book I ever owned.
Sammy J. Teague
mike greene
View Profile
New user
Manchester
80 Posts

Profile of mike greene
For me, it has to be Greater Magic

I picked this book up when I was relatively new to magic, and being a naiive young performer I overlooked it as being a dusty old book full of boring card tricks.

However, I recently had another read through it and was overwhelmed by the amount of useable material in there, even for a large book. Just over the last few days, several items from this book have forced their way into the repertoire.

In case anyone is even mildly interested, these are :

The new vanishing glass (Percy Abbott)
'Tearing the pack trick'
Two card location, and Saliva sorcery (Paul Rosini)
Two cards and a coin
The floating match

Having been very pleasantly surprised by this book, I'm now going over all of my earliest books to try and gather some more gems from them. Another example that a book should never be judged by its cover.
ALL I NEED IS ONE LIFE, ONE TRY, ONE BREATH, I'M ONE MAN, WHAT I STAND FOR SPEAKS FOR ITSELF - NAS
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1217 Posts

Profile of magicbern
For me my favorite magic book would also be Harry Lorayne's The Magic Book - I think I performed all the card tricks taught in the first three chapters (and still do some to this day!). I finally got round to buying Classic Collection 1 and 2 - and must say that the tricks and nuances are golden! Thanks Mr Lorayne for all your contributions to magic!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Still my favorite magic book... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL