The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Manipulation routine/show trouble (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
Westfield, North Carolina, USA
449 Posts

Profile of The Great Danton
Well, it's not really trouble with my manipulation routine, but I do have a question. There might be a better forum for this, but I could not think which one.

Okay,
I want to do a show, where I start out with a manipulation routine done to music, then go into a mentalism routine. Would this be workable/entertaining? I want it to be well thought out and put together. What I am looking for is a good 13-15 minute show, but I would like to keep my manipulation routine in it. Any ideas?

Thanks so much for any help!
T.G. Danton
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house."
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
Maybe if you put something in between the two. It might seem out of place otherwise, but you never know until you give it a shot.
I live my life for a layer of ice
Just like those poured by my bartender vice
Any taste of vermouth would be really sublime,
When you have a good martini time!

-The Reverend Horton Heat
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Maybe a example of "mind powers" via popping balloons, or a light bulb? Then go into how two minds can connect with each other etc. etc. ?

Any other Ideas?

Thanks Drew!
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house."
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
You can still start off with the manipulation routine and followed by the mentalism routine. You still need a finale. I don't think the mentalism routine is a good powerful ending.
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

James, you took the words out of my head! (haha)

I was actually thinking about that, but no ideas have showed themselves. I was thinking Zombie, but I doubt that would work well...

I suppose I'll go try to think of a finale....

Thanks guys,
Danton
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Well, I had an idea,

I would like to use Tony Clarks in and out rope escape. Would this make a powerful enough finale (while being as funny as possible of course)? I like making people laugh while doing magic and I thought this would leave them in a good mood.
I thought I could end the Mentalism routine, then say something along the lines of, "No Magic show is complete without an escape!" and end with the in and out rope escape. Yes? No? With some work maybe?

Thanks for all the help so far, but being as new to magic as I am, I need some more. So Please Help!

Thanks guys,
Danton
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
If you are "new to magic" I suggest you work in front of audiences and test each segment and see how things go. If your personality is strong and you have charisma, you can do almost anything.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

I am not totally "new" to magic, I have done several shows already, but this will have some new stuff in it. I know the manipulation part will be fine, I took it to a state level talent competition. => I want to add more to it though.

I always try my show out on a few close friends (all of whom are quick to point out what wasn't good), so I'll try this with the escape as the finale. If they like it I think I'll go with that.

Thanks ya'll,
Danton
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
Quote:
On 2007-07-25 18:59, The Great Danton wrote:
James, you took the words out of my head! (haha)

I was actually thinking about that, but no ideas have showed themselves. I was thinking Zombie, but I doubt that would work well...

I suppose I'll go try to think of a finale....

Thanks guys,
Danton

You know the manipulation act could be a good opener then onto the zombie. Offer an expalanation of the effect that it is achieved by using your highly devloped mind via telekenisis and then go into a mentalism routine and then what ever finale you'd like.
I live my life for a layer of ice
Just like those poured by my bartender vice
Any taste of vermouth would be really sublime,
When you have a good martini time!

-The Reverend Horton Heat
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Drew, that is a great idea! I'll Definitely have to try that one out.

I think that, with the in and out rope escape, will make a fine show.

Thanks guys!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22013 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You use the word show then give 15 min. time limit. That is an act, a show lasts 30 min. to 60 min. or longer.

I do not believe doing magic sleights then mentalism would work well together at all. You are telling them you are tricky by using the magic. This would pull down the mentalism.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

I see what you mean...Sorry for using the wrong word to describe my "act". I am used to doing an "act" of 5 minutes or less, therefore a 15 minute "act" seems like a "show". I'm still fairly new to this.

I believe I will be changing some of the "routine" anyway, just because of the given location I will be performing, I need magic. Magic that will grab people and keep them there. Mentalism unfortunately, would not work well in this setting I think, because it takes a rather long time to come to the end of an effect. Still a work in progress, I am sure the "act" will be different in the end then my original thoughts. If necessary, I can make the manipulation "routine" longer to fill the time of the "act".

Thanks to all the people who helped me,
Danton
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Manipulation routine/show trouble (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL