The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Refraction - David Penn (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Andrew Richmond
View Profile
Loyal user
Birmingham - UK
252 Posts

Profile of Andrew Richmond
Refraction is as advertised a bending wine glass effect, the advertising blurb is a little adventurous with 'borrowed wine glass' terminology that is used..

The handling is pretty much what you'd expect and the required move is by no means revolutionary in fact it is what you would come up with yourself..

At no time on the DVD does it say that Mr Lesley has given permission, Mr. Penn thanks Mr Lesley but that is not quite the same thing.

Ted Lesley does explain all you need to know in his excellent book Paramiracles released years ago and also on his Cabaret Mind Reading DVD put out at least 5 or 6 years ago.

I find it somewhat strange that the TV rights have been held back on this effect yet the creator is Ted Lesley, the handling is a little different but as mentioned not revolutionary..

My score out of 10 would be 1 /10 as it is pretty much a rehash of an effect that the creator released many years ago with no restrictions on TV rights.

I would purchase Ted Lesley's Cabaret Mind Reading DVD or Paramiracles and get this and a host of other effects thrown in at the same price if not slightly less than Refraction By David Penn..

A.R.
"Take a card any card!"
"Why?"
"So I can find it."
"Why?"
Al Straker
View Profile
Grammar Host
Australia
1130 Posts

Profile of Al Straker
Thank Andrew. Having been a huge fan of Ted's work for many years, I had wondered how original this was and you have answered that nicely.

Cheers,
Al
Al Straker
Resident Mystery Entertainer at Multiple Venues
Music & Mentalism Specialty Act 'Completely Mental'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGhApqnG7I

(Old clip, show has changed quite a bit since then!)

Jazz & Contemporary Musician/Composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnN3JNmeKns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_zfOvpneA
cardbiker
View Profile
Inner circle
1484 Posts

Profile of cardbiker
Yes Andrew a fine review, and I might add a very generous rating.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I have the Lee Earle's MANIFESTATIONS version of this effect from the late 80's and early 90's. It sounds as if the method is the same. The routine looked similar on youtube. I thought that it was a totally different method. Guess I was wrong. Glad I didn't BITE. Thanks for the review Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Marc Spelmann
View Profile
Special user
London U.K.
666 Posts

Profile of Marc Spelmann
I liked this effect and I think David who I know has made some really nice changes, I can see Andrews points and am not really in a position to pass judgement as I don't know what agreement David had with Ted Lesley..

If Ted Lesley was contacted and fine with the release then I gues there is no harm done..

Spelmann
It's not goodbye, just see you later...
Jaz2005
View Profile
Veteran user
I wish I had time to get more than
339 Posts

Profile of Jaz2005
Quote:
Martin Waring Posted: Jul 21, 2007
Mine's just arrived too. A minor miracle in itself as I only hit the cart button at 4pm last night and half the country seems to be under water at the moment.

I like it a lot. Its difficult to say too much about it without giving it away but the mechanics of it are pretty much what I guessed they would need to be.

What you get is an well crafted explanation of how to present this given by a top professional with plenty of real life footage of him in action performing it.

I can well believe that it will blow people away given the right presentation but you will need some preparation and some bottle to do this.

KernowMagic Posted: Jul 21, 2007 11:33am
Back Of Box:

For the first time ever David Penn reveals his signature effect REFRACTION. Whilst holding a borrowed wine glass in both hands your spectator gets to witness the impossible as the stem bends visibly before their eyes. The glass is then given to the spectator to keep as a souvenir that freezes the moment of magic perfectly.

Bonus Material: David’s Cabaret handling presented by Rodney James Piper and a method to bend the spectator’s own key which can be used to enhance the REFRACTION effect.

Features three live performances and a two camera, studio style explanation filmed at ‘The House of Illusion’ in Spain.

The Review:

It's been a while since I felt inclined to write a review on anything but this is one product that I just had to air an opinion on after receiving a batch in my latest stock.

Anyone familiar with Germany's master mentalist, Ted Lesley, will know that he developed a wonderful "Bending Glass" illusion for stage and cabaret, which he described in his Para-miracles book and Cabaret Mind Reading DVD. As I'm a mentalist Ted's effect has featured in my act on occasions, but I can only perform it in certain venues and situations.

Well, REFRACTION takes the bending glass illusion to a higher level, once you've been through the DVD you will never go back to the Ted Lesley version again. No unreliable electronics, no elaborate setting up and the miracle takes place in the spectators hands not far away at the back of a stage. I got all excited skipping through the chapters as I could see a potential marketing tool since you can sign the glass and give it away. Imagine, you could give a "numbered" business card to the person who gets the glass, so not only will they have the glass as a souvenir but also a certificate of authenticity along with your contact details, a collectable item they will keep forever.

I love the fact that this effect can be done close up, in the spectators hand and only involves your interaction with the spectator and the wine glass, nothing else.

The DVD is split into easy to navigate sections so once you have mastered the basics you don't have to keep skipping through them to get to the bits you need, also it makes learning the trick intuitive, taking you through the preparation, set up and handling in separate sections. Once you have the basics out of the way the last few sections takes you over psychological nuances and convincers that will ensure that the spectator is in no doubt that a true miracle has happened. It also includes the handling and prformance for cabaret situations.

The Summary:

This is a well thought out DVD that has taken an existing but scarcely used mentalism effect and breathed new life into it. What was once a cabaret effect for a darkened room or stage can now be done in broad daylight and up close. I love the fact that you can give the bent wine glass away, this makes it great to use as a special presentation for the main table at the event you are doing or a little something extra for the blushing bride at a wedding reception. Magic is all about leaving a magical moment for your spectators, empowering them if you can and giving them something to remember you by at the end..... this effect ticks all three boxes. I can't wait to add this to my act.

The effect is exactly as it says on the packaging, however remember there will be some preshow preparation to carry out so you can use a borrowed glass, but you can't borrow a glass and bend it there and then. Any working magician will know there is always some preparation, after all you haven't purchased a miracle that has just been discovered and handed to David Penn by the Dali Lama....... just something very close.

Overall: 9/10
A strong magical effect that isn't too difficult to perform, a killer in the hands of a competent, confident magician or mentalist. It isn't a trick you would want to table hop with but rather save as something special for any VIPs at your events.

Martin Waring Posted: Jul 22, 2007 1:08pm

Hmmm. Limitations. Well you need some nerve, some good patter, a good sense of timing and be able to be in control of your spectator. If you bring all these elements together and David Penn certainly helps you to sort out some of these then this one will go off like rocket fuel. This will be your 'Pièce de résistance' that you do once to the person that booked you for the gig that proved she booked the right person. You won't want or need to do it again. Two presentations are shown, one is for table work and the other is for cabaret. The cabaret presentation is good but the table presentation is a killer because its close-up and the work is done in the spectator's own hands.

Here are some real reviews from professional and accredited performers.
Marc Spelmann
View Profile
Special user
London U.K.
666 Posts

Profile of Marc Spelmann
I have just spoken with David about this effect and congratulated him on something I always wanted to do but never did. Suffice to say he was initially concerned with the simularity with Ted Lesleys effect but after much discussion with well versed professionals he put this out through world magic..

A point I made to him was that his handling and thus the usability of this effect is VERY different to the original. It now makes it something that many of us here can and I am sure will use.

Bending a fork or a spoon has been done many times and we constantly purchase different handlings and methods, this is exactly that a very different handling that makes the effect in their hands and so much more useable for many professionals..

The majority of work in the UK is close up mix and mingle and the original effect couldn't be done in that environment, this however can be which makes it a value purchase.

David explains every element and subtlety in detail which takes it to literally miracle status, this is so much more than their signed card as a momento, a soggy bill that was in a lemon this will be kept and the story will be exagerated through the years..

I purchase very little these days but this to me personally is a stronge effect..

Spelmann
It's not goodbye, just see you later...
Jaz2005
View Profile
Veteran user
339 Posts

Profile of Jaz2005
Great review Marc,
It seems that the professional performers know the value of the effect as performed by David. They also have the ability to take it and make it their own.

We have had numerous positive calls and emails from all over the world regarding this including, Gerard Senehi, who confirmed that this was a very good and different method of performance.

Do we listen to one of the UK's Top Mentalists and other accredited performers such as Kenny from Kernow Magic, or a guy with a picture of an ESP card who does not appear to have purchased the product according to our sales records.
Best regards
Jaz
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Quote:
On 2007-07-25 05:01, Marc Spelmann wrote:
Suffice to say he was initially concerned with the simularity with Ted Lesleys effect but after much discussion with well versed professionals he put this out through world magic..

After much discussion with everyone except Ted Lesley?????
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Having posted the above - what better way to find out more than to talk with David Penn on the phone?

David told me he saw Ted Lesley perform the bending wine glass at a lecture about 1997 and it impressed him very much. Later on Ted's DVD, Ted Lesley said he got the idea from psychics who had a hands on presentation. Ted wanted a hands off presentation and developed what appeared in Paramiracles.

Incidentally Ted performed his bending wine glass for me in Berlin some years ago and it looked truly amazing.

David Penn wanted to develop a presentation that he'd perform at the Top table at close-up events. Just a one-off performance piece that would be talked about. And he wanted a hands-on performance - where it apparently happened in the spectator's hands

Now, I have not seen the DVD and can't comment on methods or similarities but on the face of it anything that happens in the spectator's hands will have a far greater effect on an audience than something happening outside of their hands.

David also pointed out the difficulty in contacting Ted Lesley before taping. While Ted has popped up recently here on the Café, and is happily getting back to his old self, it is true that contacting him wasn't easy.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Who contacted Lee Earle ? I believe his copyright is 1991. Smile
Sixteen years ago.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
man of magic
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of man of magic
Performed this last night at a family do and freaked evrybody with it.
The DVD explains the handling very well and wont take long for a professional to master before you put it in the act.
Will be performing this at my Close up gigs from now on , Starting Tonight.
If you are a professional Close up Worker you will use this.
Michael J Fitch
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Michael, have you thanked Ted Leslie and Lee Earl? I just wanted to be the first to get that current buzz phrase in here.

Also wanted to let Jaz know that the esteemed professionals of England are for the most part virtual nobodies in the US. Kenny at Kernow Magic????? We are pretty slow on the uptake of your talent pool. You are going to have to get better known endoursements than that for the US market... or it would appear of late more visible endoursements.

Cheers,

Tom
KernowMagic
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of KernowMagic
Hi Tom,

Interesting take..... I didn't know that you had to be a known entity in the USA in order to do a review on this forum.

As for my credibility, here in the UK and half of Europe most people in the magic community know me, we also have "some" coverage in parts of the USA.

Just part of what we do...... We are the creators of the UK Mystery School put together by myself along with my friends Jeff McBride and Eugene Burger. Anyone wishing to know more about the UK masteclasses please don not hesitate to contact me at kenny@kernowmagic.co.uk

Best

Kenny

http://www.kernowmagic.co.uk
Life is no miracle, just an illusion performed to perfection.
<BR>
<BR>www.kernowmagic.co.uk
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
I see you have altered your post since you first posted it and before I replied to your question regarding your question of endoursing this product.
Quote:
On 2007-07-25 05:18, Jaz2005 wrote:
Great review Marc,
It seems that the professional performers know the value of the effect as performed by David.

Do we listen to one of the UK's Top Mentalists and other accredited performers such as Kenny from Kernow Magic

Hi Kenny,

It would appear that the implication is you endourse this product, by which I don't mean you have any financial gain but rather review it favorably.

"Some coverage" in the US probably makes you a virtual nobody on the West Coast, being that you are in England. We couldn't even get the Kinks across our country more than once every couple of years, even though they toured the East Coast at least once every year or more it seemed.

Cheers,

Tom
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Seems like the UK dudes are behind this as the US dudes think that it's been borrowed from someone. Is this the general take on this?
Gochos
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of Gochos
Right I think its time I replied here. As for UK Dudes giving this a thumbs up compared to US dudes, that's because US dudes haven't seen it yet because it was only on Friday 20th the product started being shipped. So this shows all US Dudes that think its been borrowed, is all speculation and criticizing before seeing the actual product. Now how this can happen with accurate statements is beyond me. Maybe mentalists do have the actual power to watch a DVD that is sitting in a warehouse a few thousand miles across a very large pond.

Now to something that Tom Cutts seems to comment on
"esteemed professionals of England are for the most part virtual nobodies in the US."

Well it makes you guys in the states look like even bigger nobodies as you are a much bigger country than little old England in comparison, so if we don't know who you Guys are, then surely that makes you even bigger nobodies than us.

I'm not starting an argument, but please Guys stop all this childish behavior and lets concentrate on matters that are more important. Like helping each other and finding positives, rather than always the negatives and an excuse to always look as though we know better.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On 2007-07-26 14:38, Gochos wrote:
As for UK Dudes giving this a thumbs up compared to US dudes, that's because US dudes haven't seen it yet

Agreed. I've only pointed out the futility of using endoursements by people who are unknown to a part of the market you are marketing to.
Quote:
Well it makes you guys in the states look like even bigger nobodies as you are a much bigger country than little old England in comparison, so if we don't know who you Guys are, then surely that makes you even bigger nobodies than us.

So you understand my point, thank you. Internationally recognized talent should be used for international endoursements, especially if you are going to come off a little high and mighty about your endoursements.
Gochos
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of Gochos
Tom Cutts

"Agreed. I've only pointed out the futility of using endoursements by people who are unknown to a part of the market you are marketing to. "

You are contradicting yourself here as the DVD is endorsed by Mark Oberon. With the Amount of Bang Ons that were sold and still are being sold world wide, you cannot say he is unknown in the USA or World Wide.

I do not understand your point at all.
Jaz2005
View Profile
Veteran user
339 Posts

Profile of Jaz2005
Hi Tom,
I am guessing that your posts are meant to be tongue in cheek. Smile
Taken as such, I will now rise for your bait.

Firstly, endorsements is spelled without the ( U). I am not really sure what an endoursement is.
Perhaps it is an endorsement given by a Scotsman who are generally thought of as being Dour. However, being Scottish, I can testify to the fact that that assessment of Scots people is incorrect.

I think you will know Gerard Senehi.
Contact Gerard and ask him for his opinion on the presentation of this effect by David.

I have had the benefit of his opinion from his own mouth and direct into my ear. Guess what? He likes the effect and thought that David brought a new dimension to it
That guy has an opinion that I would certainly listen to. Just like Kenny, Quentin, Marc Spellman, Michael Fitch, Marc Oberon and many others, they all love this effect but then they are all professionals. Smile

Slim,

You gotta be informed to make a worthwhile comment and you are just not informed on this matter.

You just keep spouting the same old same old.

As I stated before, David Penn has a very original routine and handling of an effect which is hundreds of years old.
That routine is called REFRACTION. It is not borrowed or stolen or copied. Watch out for it in your local magic dealer, buy a copy and when you have watched it and feel qualified to comment, then I may take you seriously.

The previously proffered Olive Branch is withdrawn temporarily whilst you persist with your repetitious comments that have been answered in this and another thread.

Perhaps being a mentalist has given you a short term memory problem.

Having said that, I do love your avatar on this site.
Is that you doing an impression of Harry Potter, who in turn is doing an impression of Mr T?.

On your Radio ESP site I see you are doing another impression, one of George Bush when that guy stole his watch.
I thought you were a mentalist and all this time your are an impersonator.

By the way, have you credited Maxwell, Loomis, Hughes, Edison, Hertz, Tesla, Popov, Marconi, (not to be confused with macaroni) Father Landell de Moura, Bose, etc for their work on the invention of RADIO. Smile

Be good all
Jaz Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Refraction - David Penn (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL