The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Boxes and cases and crates... oh my! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thanks, amosmc for those links. I have been trying to source for those parts too.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2860 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I've been thinking about this quite a bit the last few days, and the book is beginning to scope itself out. Like I said above, there's a lot of material on ATA-style cases out there already, so I'm going to focus on traditional theatrical cases and road boxes, which can be a very effective alternative for performers who cart their own shows around.

But I've also been looking at some of the cases and tables and stuff I built when I was a teenager and performing regularly, and there are some interesting ideas (some good, some dumb) there too. So I'm thinking the book is going to start out with my own experiences, sort of "what I learned from..." and go from there. In other words, there's going to be a little humor in there too. I'm hoping the book will be entertaining as well as useful.

I'll keep ya all posted on progress.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
We'll be waiting, George, for the release.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Way to go George . . .
Cards never lie
MagicErik
View Profile
Loyal user
Sneek, Netherlands
284 Posts

Profile of MagicErik
It sounds like one of those books everyone already should have.... So carry on writing it... Smile)
EVI
Sam Pearce
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
308 Posts

Profile of Sam Pearce
George, how it coming?

I'm really looking forward to picking up a copy!

Sam
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2860 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Well, it's coming slowly, but it's coming. I spent most of Saturday on it, between the writing and the drawings, and hope to make a dent this week. Thanks so much for the interest.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Papasmurf
View Profile
Special user
Tell-Tale Shapeshifting
548 Posts

Profile of Papasmurf
I am also interested in buying your book George.
Christian Illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Ohio (currently located in Missouri)
503 Posts

Profile of Christian Illusionist
This is sounding great, let us know when it's ready! Smile
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2860 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Okay, another update...

The first three chapters are done and I've started on the illustrations; so far I've done a basic road crate and a design for a stage manager's console. The illustrations are taking a bit longer than I anticipated, mostly because of the software I'm using (SketchUp), but I think it'll be a good choice in the end. I really want to get more proficent with SketchUp anyway, since it's great for initial studies for set designs, and I want to take it much farther than that.

This morning I was working on the chapter on a touring tool and accessory box, and I was having so much fun "putting stuff in it," it was pitiful. Smile

Thanks again for the interest, and I'll continue to keep you posted.
www.georgefledo.net

Larry Bean
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm digging enough holes for
2016 Posts

Profile of Larry Bean
Thanks for your work on this George. Know that your work is appreciated! I am very excited about obtaining a copy when your done. I especially love the idea of using the crates as stage props - killing two birds with one stone.
adam christopher
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of adam christopher
Did this book ever come about?

AC
abrell
View Profile
Loyal user
Remscheid, Germany
283 Posts

Profile of abrell
I have build ATA cases in the past. You need precise tools because you must cut the sheets of plywood/ plastics and the aluminium profiles absolutely exactly. Riveting those cases is hard work until you have a pneumatic rivet machine. For everybody who can not buy the materials with resellers prices, ordering cases will be cheaper. The only cases that are stronger than heavy ATA cases are Pelicases.

There are two options: These cases fit your style or you diguise them by draping them with fabric!

If you build cheaper (and lighter) cases from wood, this can be very rewarding because you have more design options (medieval,...). A design that is not spoiled by scratches is better (medival, antique,...)than high gloss enamel! But you will have to take care anyway. As I transport my magic myself, I do it this way.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2860 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Quote:
On 2008-08-11 11:15, adam christopher wrote:
Did this book ever come about?

Hi, and thanks for asking.

The book is about 90% written and I'm still working on the illustrations (there are a lot of them!). I'm hoping to complete the content over the next two or three months, then spend a couple of weeks just proofreading. The book has gone into areas I didn't think of before, like how to pack a truck, carrying lighting and sound equipment, and how to build a stage manager's console. Hopefully, it'll be fun to read as well as useful.

I'll keep you all posted.
www.georgefledo.net

Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
George,

I know this is kind of after the fact, but I was wondering, are you including topics as to how to size your case? (For example, I have these four tricks, how do I pack them for the minimum volume, but still protect them?) Also, guidelines for standard sizes (to fit nicely into pickup trucks) and maximum weights and sizes to minimize injury or the necessity of a forklift. I'm just wondering...

Thanks.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2860 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Hi, Steven,

I'm covering a little bit of what you're asking, but the problem is that there are so many variables that I'd have to do a book the length of a Charles Dickens novel to cover it all. Smile

But then again, maybe I could also do a DVD and then spin it off into a weekly series... Smile Smile

Seriously (drat!), as I read what I've written so far, I've created more of a "here's how to think about this" type of book than a "here are the rules" one. I have another book in the works (it's been on the back burner for a while) on how to use theatrical and theme-park techniques to create a haunted house, and I found that it was more effective if I showed people how producers and designers think (and let them use the book as a starting point) than if I just gave them a bunch of room designs. On the other hand, your question about how to pack stuff for minimum volume is a good one... let me think about this a bit and see if I can add something on it.

Thanks for the questions!
www.georgefledo.net

Magic Kevin
View Profile
New user
Maryland - United States
77 Posts

Profile of Magic Kevin
This is a little outdated, but I figured I would ask since I am interested and others obviously are too, if you ever finished the book. If so, where is it availible to buy?
Kevin Smile
trey
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of trey
I have a book about building ATA cases here somewhere. As I build drum sets. Its not the best information I've ever read. But once you get the hang of it. Its not all that hard to do. I do think that a well written book about the subject would do well. As the one I have was a bonus that came with a very over priced workshop manual.

Just my 2 cents.....

Trey
Magic Kevin
View Profile
New user
Maryland - United States
77 Posts

Profile of Magic Kevin
After reading the requirements for ATA cases, I don't think I will ever attempt them! There are so many things that have to be exact that I think my head would explode! That's why alternatives to these cases are interesting me.
Kevin Smile
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2860 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Quote:
On 2009-01-19 22:30, MagicKAmazinG wrote:
This is a little outdated, but I figured I would ask since I am interested and others obviously are too, if you ever finished the book. If so, where is it availible to buy?

Hi, and thanks so much for asking.

I've been getting back into the book recently, after several huge projects last year that got in the way. Most of the writing is done, but I'm still doing the illustrations... and there are a lot of them. I'm hoping to finish the project in a couple of months, in between set design jobs and other real-life stuff.

I'll keep you all posted. Smile
www.georgefledo.net

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Boxes and cases and crates... oh my! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL