The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » New to Magic and Need SOme Advice! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jmuscold
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of jmuscold
Want some advice on books, dvd's, or tricks to add to my collection.

I started doing magic 20 years ago did little gadget (tenyo) style tricks. This time around I want to do it a little better, here is my collection (recently purchased and from my original collection)

Brass Bill Tube
Scotch and Soda
Svengali deck
Stripper deck
copper silver brass
transmental
invisible deck
skinner 3 card monte
deck shell

Books
Complete course in magic
Tarbell vol 1
Magician's Magic (Curry)

DVDS
Oz Pearlman Born to Perform
Card SHell DVD

What I am looking for is tricks that are more or less multi functional, like a stipper deck, that is not a one trick pony, but a system of tricks

What would be some recomendations to add to my collection?

Thanks
Also if anyone knows of any clubs in the south jersey area please let me know.

Jeff
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2674 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Part of the problem is that 'most' magic tricks bought AS separate magic tricks are basically designed to do one thing and that thing as good as you can do it. That's why I would recommend expanding your base skill set in sleight-of-hand. Once you have the basic somewhat multi-use things...I didn't see a Thumb Tip...add that to the above if you don't already have one, you run quickly out of things 'like' that and Scotch and Soda, etc.

But....learn a good solid basic skill set with say Cards and then ANY deck of cards becomes not only a wonderful multi-function prop to work with, but it can also be borrowed, bought, etc. right where you are. Coins and small item manipulation the same: Sponge Balls, many sleights with Billiard Balls are transferable laterally to other objects. Knowing a solid basic set of rope moves and effects can then be done with almost anything pliable enough to allow the manipulations.

Consider: Cards, sponge, rope, coins in that order. If you would like specific suggestions on what to get let me know via Private Message and I'll get back to you. Best,
Brad Burt
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Profile of THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
Get Melting Point and Melting Point Reloaded. Or you could get a PK ring.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1882 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
I strongly agree with Brad. I strongly disagree with theguy.

Brads advise will fill your world with magic. Theguy's advise could fill your world with endless shopping and overflowing drawers.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Jason Simonds
View Profile
Loyal user
Pensacola, FL
269 Posts

Profile of Jason Simonds
I would go through either Complete Course in Magic or Tarbell Vol. 1 before purchasing anything else. You have a lot of information in both of those books to last you a while. And they'll help you learn sleight of hand, as Mr. Burt suggested. If you are hellbent on buying another trick, I'd pick up a TT, again as Mr. Burt suggested.

Have fun!
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
I agree with Brad too. Sleight of hand offers a great opening to the real world of magic.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I totally agree with Burt about learning sleight of hand.

A while back I started a topic asking two things.

1) Which props do you feel are the most useful and can be used in the largest number of effects or routines?

2) Which gimmicks, gaffs, etc, are the most versatile and can be used to create the largest number of effects?

It wasn't surprising that I got more responses about #1 than #2.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......27&0

Rather than tricks, accessories like a TT, holdouts, IT, coin gaffs like ^ and ]s, Swami devices, etc, will allow for more effects.
J.D.Palmer
View Profile
New user
Columbus, Ohio
19 Posts

Profile of J.D.Palmer
I'd recommend:

a nice set of hopping halves
Bobo's 'Modern Coin Magic'
Erdnase's 'Expert at the Card Table'
an Ultra mental deck or Kolossal Killer for an out

and a copy of Duck Soup.

You'll be set.
Ted Danger
View Profile
New user
San Francisco/Utila
97 Posts

Profile of Ted Danger
Imagine the things you would do if you had the power. Think of what would most amaze you if you saw a stranger perform some miracles. Then, after learning magic principles, come up with some ways to do those things convincingly.

In the meantime, get Henry Haye's Amatuer magicians handbook, and some more Tarbell. Buy a TT
"One may say the eternal mystery of the world is its comprehensibility." Albert E.
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

All I did was answer what he asked. He asked for a gimmicked that does a whole bunch of tricks. If that wasen't what he asked, I would say to get Daryl's Encyclopedia of Card Sleights videos, so you can actually see what the sleights look like.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1882 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Sorry Theguy. I shouldn't have picked on your comment. I wanted to dramatically break the cycle of shopping that Jeff was pursuing. Your answer does address the question more directly than the others. I just liked Brad's better. Sorry again.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

It's alright. I reccoment you get some of the basic reccomended stuff, then try and create your own routines.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
I am rather relaxed about your list of props. This is a phase that most magicians go through. In order to quickly improve their magic - they go after props. After that, they discover that nothing can really replace the sleight of hand.
Cards never lie
Lester
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland. U.K
189 Posts

Profile of Lester
If you are looking to generally increase your magical repertoire rather than concentrating on close up I'd go for a good basic selection of silks of various sizes and colours. I would start with buying them in colour pairs. There is a whole universe of magic that can be performed with a few silks. Combine them with a basic utility prop, e.g a silk cabby, and you have at your finger tips a whole host of possible effects. The beauty of silk magic is, that it, as they say, packs small and performs big! Can I recommend learning the Sympathetic Silks effect as an illustration of this. When finances permit, go for 36" silks for this trick, you wont regret it!

Whilst on the topic of silk magic in general, you could do no better than acquire the complete Rice's Encyclopedia of Silk Magic on disc. It is available in the standard hard back book version but in terms of cost I'd plump for the disc intitally. It will tell you all you need to know about silk magic and give you a wealth of ideas for possible effects and, incidentally, save you a small fortune as you can make the props yourself.

Enjoy.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Although there is nothing wrong with acquiring a FEW good, well-made props, I also agree that there is nothing like a good book or DVD to really expand your magical horizons.

A long time ago I was advised to buy one book along with every two or three tricks, and I have found it to be excellent advice. So my suggestion is to get Tarbell #2 and #3, and then the rest as you are able. You can then learn about and focus on specific areas of magic or effects that you might want to pursue further -- coins, cards, ropes, balls, silks, etc.

As for a good next trick, you can't go wrong with a set of Cups & Balls, which will teach you some basic and easy sleight-of-hand, as well as a lot about misdirection, timing and presentation. Bazar De Magia makes an OK aluminum set for about $25, but if you can spring for Bazar's copper or brass set, now running about $55, they will be heavier, more durable and easier to work with. Get a spare set of Morrissey crotcheted balls (about $6) and if you have small hands, get the 3/4" balls instead of the 1" balls; click HERE for more info. For instruction, you can't beat Michael Ammar's 2-disc DVD set, "The Complete Cups & Balls," which is an encyclopedia of sleights, moves and ideas that should keep you busy for a very long time; click HERE for more info. Good Luck! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
jmuscold
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of jmuscold
Well thanks for all the great advice, here is what I bought:

Royal Road to card magic DVD set ($20 with shipping on ebay)
Modern Coin magic DVD set ($20 with shipping on ebay)
Royal road to card magic hardcover book,
2 decks of cards,
I am starting with the royal road dvd, this should keep me busy for a long time!

jeff
jonxodus
View Profile
Veteran user
San Diego, CA
312 Posts

Profile of jonxodus
That's a lot of material, great purchases. Take your time to master every sleight and than everything will be a lot easier than!
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Instead of hearing name of tricks or books from others, I recommend to visit a magic shop and see demonstrations and books in hands. It will motivate you more practically.

Hideo Kato
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2740 Posts

Profile of John Long
Analogous to what was said above, I think your next purchase should be a pair of reading glasses.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Good intentions pave the road to hell, or so they say... We all would like to break the cycle of spending and buying on magic that really don't serve in the long run and/or they just sit in the bottom drawers. However, how do we shield another magic fan, amateur or otherwise, to avoid this self-destructive path? I'm afraid we can't. It's a path that each needs to discover for him or herself, I think. I certainly have purchased my share of great magic vs useless stuff. It's a learning process and both Brad and THEGUY26 offer good advice and suggestion Smile
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » New to Magic and Need SOme Advice! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL