The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Svengali Pitch-- Price? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Zack
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Zack
I'm planning on adding a Svengali pitch to my street act. Anybody have an idea what the right price is? I'm paying just under a buck a deck, so I could let them go for five, but I think ten is better.
Bill Beach
View Profile
Veteran user
Nashville, TN
304 Posts

Profile of Bill Beach
How about somewhere in between, maybe $8. Perhaps do some market research, try 5 pitches at $5, 5 pitches at $8, and 5 at $10, all under as similar conditions as possible, keep track of sales at each, and then determine which price is more profitable.

Or, better yet, contact the self-proclaimed King of Svengali deck pitches, Mark Lewis. You can find him here:
http://www.magictalk.com/cgi-bin/index.c......rk+lewis

Bill Beach
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Hi Zack,
I've been pitching sevngali's for well over 25 years. I sell mine for $5.00 and though in a "free" 2 card monte as a kicker.I have about 5 cents in the 2 card monte.At $5.00 you will have a higher gross everyday.
If you want to learn the best pitch for the Svengali get "Expert at The Pitch Table" by David Walker.Its a video book combo.It also has the mouse pitch with Jimmy Dixon.It has been out of print for a few years,but I think Hank Lee still has some in stock.
David broke me in years ago,and Jimmy and I go back many years.
One thing you might want to think about is,where ever you set up and do your street act and than go into a pitch....and start selling,you might need a retail licence,sales tax licence and some cities just won't let you pitch(sell) on the sidewalk.Doing magic for tips and selling are two different ball games. You should check this out before hand.I set up at flea markets and in summer small fairs.If I can be of anymore help,feel free to PM me.
Hope this helped,have a great day,
Don
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2394 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Great advice Don!

Also something I just picked up that I think is pretty good. mark Lewis has a small book called, "The long and short of it." It is not a pitch but a handling. There is some very nice turnovers and displays that are real workers.

There is no pitch though, for that I agree with Don.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Jason K.
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Jason K.
I have been pitching for some time now. First off, Expert at the Pitch Table (book and video) is a must.

Secondly, don't MIX A SHOW WITH THE PITCH!!!
Do either, but not both. If things get slow, I usually start pitching. The reason for this is that if you're selling decks, you won't get donations in your hat. If you get donations, they'll expect a deck in return.

that's what I found, anyway...

PS
Don knows more on the subject than anybody I know. He's the guy that got me started in this. Thanks again Don!
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
.....and thank you Jason for your kind words.
Your Magic Buddy,
Don
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Svengali Pitch-- Price? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL