The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Suggest An Effect - Uni Interview (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chris H
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1364 Posts

Profile of Chris H
Hi guys,

I'll be required to go to an interview for a University course sometime in the next couple of months. I'm mentioning in my application (for a performing arts/education degree) my interest in magic and mentalism, and I'm trying to think of something really killer I can show the interviewing panel. I don't want to do anything too bizarre, but it would be nice to have some kind of example to show them when I try to explain "mentalism". Was thinking it'd be cool to have some kind of prediction printed in the public notices section of the newspaper. I've always liked this idea, but have only ever seen it done in my area with the prediction of a playing card. That's easy, but not the kind of thing I'm after. Something simple and quick, but really killer. If you've got any ideas, I'd love to hear them. Thanks heaps guys!

-- Topher
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Your prediction idea would work well with a word or phrase forced from a book test, as with the Hoy Book Test. Simple, quick, non-fail, effective.

- entity
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
I would use Intelligent Redesign becouse you can do it with the stuff at hand and it is based upon personality profiling.

Read up on the reality of profiling and you can kill.

Jim
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
mentalv
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of mentalv
You can create just about anything with a swami. I suggest doing something with a swami since it will allow you to create ANY kind of prediction or mentalism effect you want to do. A swami is simple and quick and really killer. its exactly what you are looking for
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
And what presentation would you suggest?

J ack

H.O.A-X
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
mentalv
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of mentalv
Well it all depends on the performer. it also depends on the interviewer. if the interviewer happens to be a journalist you can have them think of any word or have them focus on a word in a newspaper and then you predict it. it all depends on the creativity of the performer. if they are a doctor you can have them think of a medicine or disease or whatever and predcit it. it all depends! OF course you'll have to be good at writting words with a swami though!
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Did you read the first post in this thread?

J ack

H.O.A-X
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17675 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Have them all select three personal objects and secretly BLESS one....then tell them which one they blessed Smile
Or play Roshambo and beat them all at the same time!( Entity's got the low down on that one Smile )
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
fib
View Profile
Inner circle
1535 Posts

Profile of fib
Do the Riggs book test with Banachek's letter in a word. First, force a word in any book on one participant. Ask him not to share it with another. Turn to that second and ask them to guess which word was being thought of. They try and fail. P---et ----e that word just uttered, the wrong guess. Turn back to first volunteer. Do Banacheck's letter in a word that you forced from the book. Then, using a Mullica or any loading wallet, show that earlier, you had had a premonition that the second person would guess that word and that you wrote it down and kept it in your wallet. John Riggs, thank you.
fib
Jlowhy
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of Jlowhy
If the interviewers seem cooperative enough, how about attempting an experiment of mind reading by the use of muscle reading? Use any 5 objects around and have one of them concentrate on one and then reveal it. I think the effect could lend itself to a good explanation of what mentalism is too.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I would move your focus from mentalism to making a comment on performing arts and use a piece of mentalism to highlight it.

Your interview should be a mini presentation that includes the following brief stories

A story about you that allows them to feel they know you. This can expose a flaw or an obstacle you overcome that made you who you are today. Make it relevent to your current application...

A story that exposes your values and why you chose your current career path

Why did you get interested in performing arts...

Then an effect. that pulls it all together and offers proof credibility and an example of your "performing art". Plus it should also make a statement or highlight a point about the subject you are pursueing.

In fact I would start with a sharp piece of mentalism then go on to the presentation....which should be conversational...

you could start....before we proceed ild like to show you something that's a bit of fun. Then after...."there is also a serious point to what I did... you see when it comes to performance arts you need to get inside the minds of your audience capture and lead their imaginations....and ever since (event) ive always been facinated by performance arst mentalism in particular"

name shows if youve done any then the reason or story why you are pursuing the course..

Another strong tip I can give you....talk beyond university.

say "Well its not that I really want to come to university its more that I want to (fill in here what the aspirations or results are of being successful in your field)this is an excellent pattern interrupt (im not here to go to UNI will derail them pause before proceeding to the following) Also tell them that not only do you want to be a performer that you see the university as being a first step in the process since it has such a good reputation.

Doing this will hit them on so many levels they won't be able to put up any resistance plus you will really stand out from other candidates...

Go for a hard hitting mind reading effect...rather than prediction.

Its all about getting inside the minds of your audience also transfers nicely to all performance arts..
Jean-Pierre Chateaubriand
View Profile
New user
Paris France
26 Posts

Profile of Jean-Pierre Chateaubriand
Any bank night will do it:

Lot of audience participation
Lot of entertainment
Lot of mystery.
Can be adapted to every kind of performange style (from "prediction" to "non verbal influence")

A very easy to do is Osterlind's version in his DVDMid Mistery #1, there is also a so clean and unbiliveable version by Yves Doumergue.

JP
JP
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
An effect with no structure is a wasted opportunity..
Mentalisten
View Profile
New user
London, UK
62 Posts

Profile of Mentalisten
Maybe a re-working of Andy Nyman's 'Magician's Graphology' effect - especially since its a panel.

Ross
'Welcome to the Jungle' - Axl Rose
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Think about what you want the panel to do....

Give you a place I would think... everything you do should be with that outcome in mind.

the effect is secondary. You should be thinking of using an effect as a mechanism embedded within a complete structure to persuade them to give you a place.

Its not really about the effect its about you persuading them to give you a place.
That is the puropose of the interview and the your outcome..

Mentalism can be used to persuade as part of an over all structure..
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Exactly correct Mindpunisher.

I wonder how many will understand the importance of your post.

Jim
Mentalisten
View Profile
New user
London, UK
62 Posts

Profile of Mentalisten
When they ask you about your interest in magic and mentalism and you show them an effect (whether asked for or offered by yourself), you should make it appear seemingly impromptu rather than a a pre-rehearsed showing-off presentation. An off-the-cuff demonstration of mentalism exemplifying your passion and interest in the field. ALso, in line with mindpunisher, you should build into the routine certain things that they're looking for in a candidate such as acting skill, plot or whatever it may be.

Ross
'Welcome to the Jungle' - Axl Rose
Jordan Waller
View Profile
Special user
London
610 Posts

Profile of Jordan Waller
I don't think that you should generally go in with 'obvious' intent to perform an effect. By all means lead the conversation round to the idea of performing an effect for them but do not openly suggest that you should. As has already been said, the interview is about getting to know you and getting you a place, any effects performed will play second fiddle to this.

The idea of suggesting a demonstration off the cuff without any verbal interest being shown in your mentalism background does slightly put me off, remember, nobody enjoys the domineering magical performer who thrusts upon you their egotistical look how brilliant I am routines. Whatever you perform should look to be impromptu, as though you were never realy prepared for such a request. Perhaps feining the desire to perform slightly. A show of reluctance can go a long way in heightening the overall effect of what you perform. If the panel is realy not expecting anything other than a novel and slighly amusing trick they are in a position to be impressed far more than their original expectations. That is were the real magic will be embraced and that is what will sell your performance.
One day I will write a book
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
When someone meets you for first time with view to giving you a place or doing business with you...

They are unconsciously asking these questions..

who is this person?
why are they here?
Why should I listen to them?
Are they telling the truth?
What credibility do they have?
Whats in it for me?

The above structure in my previous posts is sequenced and designed to indirectly answer those questions. Once you they answer all those questions they will not be able to resist giving you a place or doing business with you.

They will have already built an image in there minds of having you on board and how you will be good for them and the uni...

job done..
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Suggest An Effect - Uni Interview (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL