We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Your Opinion on this book.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicboy111
View Profile
New user
somewhere in Idaho
25 Posts

Profile of magicboy111
Hello Everyone,

I just bought the book, Encyclopedia of Card Tricks, it has short effects, but pretty strong ones, and was edited by Jean Hugard. Anyone own this book, what do you think of it?

Thanks,

Corey
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6584 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
While it is an older book, it is still one of the best. Pretty much any tome by Hugard makes it onto MY 5 foot bookshelf!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
martinkaplan
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
562 Posts

Profile of martinkaplan
I heartily agree with Scott.

-Marty
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
That book is a classic, and is well worth having. Check out the very first effect in the book called Twin Souls. I perform this all the time.
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
It's one of those books you simply must have in your library. Of course mine is lent out right now, but it should be in my library.

Sable
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1030 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
It is one of the most underrated books out there. I created a packet trick based on an effect from this book.
ME
magicboy111
View Profile
New user
somewhere in Idaho
25 Posts

Profile of magicboy111
Well Thanks Guys!

You all are very helpful. I am also finding this book a very good source for card work, although it does have older terms, and concepts. The best part is, I got it at Barnes and Noble for under 10 bucks! Well, thanks again,

Corey
andyhurst
View Profile
New user
Somerset, UK
64 Posts

Profile of andyhurst
Quote:
On 2002-02-10 23:29, magicboy111 wrote:
I got it at Barnes and Noble for under 10 bucks! Well, thanks again,

Corey

Well Corey,

Don't judge a book by it's cover price Smile

I'd agree with all the comments here, it's a great book. At the same time, if everyone had said it was awful I would hope that you'd have read it anyway. From books that others have told me are terrible I've devised variations and routines that work.

Enjoy the book. You'll find some good ideas on card stacks which is something you mentioned in another post.
Andy Hurst
----------
http://www.andyhurstmagic.com/
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Encyclopedia of Card Tricks, was first printed in 1937 and reprinted in 1974. I feel that every magician should have a copy. Pound for pound it holds it own with any book of card tricks.
Rolando Santos
View Profile
New user
Atlanta, Ga.
86 Posts

Profile of Rolando Santos
As was mentioned above, any Hugard book is excellent.

There are some very good routines and ideas in it. I use it reguarly as a starting point for topical themes and effects.

Great book.
R
The Pianoman
View Profile
Veteran user
Lliving in Scotland.
344 Posts

Profile of The Pianoman
I have the wonderful "165 card tricks and stunts" by Jean Hugard and of course the "Royal Road to Card Magic".

Regards Alan
magicboy111
View Profile
New user
somewhere in Idaho
25 Posts

Profile of magicboy111
I don't know how to make a quote for you guys, but Andy Hurst told me, from a quote from me "don't judge a book by it's cover price" I don't know how he knows how I judged it, I don't think judging things without justifaction is right, but I never judged this book, just wanted to tell ya guys I got it for that price, thought I got a deal or something? Anyways, thanks again,

Corey
andyhurst
View Profile
New user
Somerset, UK
64 Posts

Profile of andyhurst
Quote:
On 2002-02-16 00:31, magicboy111 wrote:
I don't know how to make a quote for you guys, but Andy Hurst told me, from a quote from me "don't judge a book by it's cover price" I don't know how he knows how I judged it, I don't think judging things without justifaction is right, but I never judged this book..

Hi Corey,

I wasn't saying you did. I was just making a point. You were asking what we all thought of a book you had already bought (surely if you read it and liked it.. what's it matter what me or anyone else things?)

But I honestly wasn't accusing you of anything. You mentioned the price and a lot of people do get it in their heads that because a book is cheap it's no good. I'm not saying you did that, I was just making a point.

Regards

Andy
Andy Hurst
----------
http://www.andyhurstmagic.com/
magicboy111
View Profile
New user
somewhere in Idaho
25 Posts

Profile of magicboy111
Ok Andy,

Sorry for the Confusion,

Yours In MAGIC,

Corey
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
876 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
It's a wonderful book which has stood the passage of time well. It pays to wade through the VAST amount of material and find the few items which happen to suit your style and tastes. One of the book's strengths is that everything in it is practical.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
Joe
View Profile
Regular user
Sunny UK
139 Posts

Profile of Joe
This was the second magic book I bought many many years ago. The first was Royal Road to Card Magic. I haven't looked at them for a while but will now just to take a trip down memory lane.
Tricky
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Tricky
this book is availabe from the learned pig
the URL is http://thelearnedpig.com.pa
once you pass a simple test many books are available for online viewing. there is even a downloadable version of expert at the card table!
james
Jared Lemons
View Profile
New user
Dandridge Tn
53 Posts

Profile of Jared Lemons
I love the book one of my favorites
Magic is a vanishing art and it is our job as magicians to make it reapear.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Your Opinion on this book.... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL