The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best Magazine? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Matty Moriates
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Matty Moriates
Hey guys,

I didn't know where else to post this but I am greatly considering getting a magazine perscription. But I don't know what magazine I should get it for. Basically it's between Genii or Magic Magazing. Which one do you think is better and why?

p.s. I understand this is a personal oppinion question but I'd like to get some other people's ideas because I have no idea what is good/bad about either of them. Thanks in advance
-3-
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
Don't just get a prescription, but get a subscription instead!

They are both great magazines! I prefer Genii just a little bit over Magic Magazine just for the illusions from Paul Osborne. Also, they usually have one person a month that they do an in depth interview with, not just a page or two. I think Magic Magazine has better pictures/graphics and they offer some great articles as well. Both magazines have great reviews of products out there.
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
I get them both. Genii for close to 20 years and Magic since it started. I also get the Linking Ring (as a member of IBM, 1990)

All of them are great.
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Profile of THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
I like Genii the best.
cosmopop1
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of cosmopop1
I'm definitely a Genii guy but only because I am a beginner and I am not subscribed to anything else.
Matty Moriates
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Thanks guys. I was leaning more towards Genii to be honest with you.

And Banester thanks for catching that lol. It was late last night when I posted this.. I guess I was tired haha Smile
-3-
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
I feel about ready to subscribe to a magazine myself. In the beginning I felt that I got more value for my money by getting books and DVDs that contain tons of neccessary building blocks.

Now I'm starting to be drawn towards smaller details and individual handlings. And oddities. Plus I haven't had a magazine subscription of any kind in ten years. I miss that.

Wish these magazines had free test issues but I suppose I can always either buy a separate back issue or venture a subscription, so it is no real problem. If they are good enough for everyone else, then they are certainly good enough for me.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
VcosNJ
View Profile
Inner circle
1179 Posts

Profile of VcosNJ
I'm also a regular subscriber to genii. Great Magazine!! I'm about to make a subscription to Magic, but not yet, due to some low funds.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Are you nuts!? Get the bound volumes of APOCALYPSE if you want to really learn magic. hl
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Matty Moriates
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Lol thanks for the advice Mr. Lorayne but I actually own Apocalypse Vol. 1-5 already Smile And I already have learned a tremendous amount out of them, but I'm looking for a suscription to a currently running magazine.
-3-
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Why not go through volumes 2, 3 and 4 of APOCALYPSE, then look for a currently running magazine? Get the good stuff first. hl
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

No shortage of great and important reading here either. But having a new magazine arrive in the mailbox and to be able to read reviews of new things and so on is a completely separate thing from studying the classics.

Having said that, it's great that magazines are being collected in volumes. A magazine like Trapdoor for instance, has not been released in bound form I think. Which is a shame.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
Shakey
View Profile
Veteran user
In over 4 million i've made
360 Posts

Profile of Shakey
It was suggested to me a couple of years ago that magazine subscriptions were important - the main reason to keep up with what is developing in the world of Magic ( and no, I'm not one of the must have the latest fad group - I don't have a tribal tatoo or wear a skull cap!!). It was good advice - and for completeness I subscribe to Magic and Genii.
Jay Austin
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Jay Austin
Check out your local shop and see if you can get a copy of each magazine. I do know of a few shops that sell individual issues. That way you can see if you like one over the other. A current mag does tell you what is happening currently. A mag is more than just learning tricks. They also list who is playing where and when, for instance.
Jay Austin

http://austin-computer-solutions.com/
Hire a tech, not a geek.
Matty Moriates
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

The problem is that the closest shop to me is about 45 minutes away Smile So I don't really go there very often at all, I rely on the internet to get my stuff. But I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with Genii Magazine. Thanks for the help everyone.
-3-
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

No magic magazines in shops in my country. So it is a question of import. Genii seems to have a fairly reasonable offer with $76 for 12 issues, or $88 if you want them by air mail. Magic Magazine is about the same price. Getting both would be a bit excessive.
TKE
View Profile
Veteran user
FL
346 Posts

Profile of TKE
Quote:
On 2007-07-29 03:06, Shakey wrote:
It was suggested to me a couple of years ago that magazine subscriptions were important - the main reason to keep up with what is developing in the world of Magic ( and no, I'm not one of the must have the latest fad group - I don't have a tribal tatoo or wear a skull cap!!). It was good advice - and for completeness I subscribe to Magic and Genii.

keep up? I browsed through a recent edition of magic magazine and they were reviewing stuff that came out months ago. is this normal? ive also been thinking of subscribing...
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Actually I think that these very forums is the best place to keep up.

There are so many things out there that one could spend a lifetime discovering new things in old locations. But a magazine offers interviews and articles and reviews. A magazine is the kind of thing you bring to a café. Tarbell is not.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best Magazine? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL