We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Stylish vs. Professionalism...cellphones! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
We all know about the Apple iPhone that just came out. And the people that did get it (lucky), didn't get it for durability. It's a fashion statement, and that want other people to KNOW THEY HAVE IT.

Me, I just got a new blackberry. I have a new face-plate on it, and it looks really nice. In fact, I've already had several people comment on how nice it does look. So, my question is this.

Do you think it's stylish to wear an expensive phone on your belt while performing, or unprofessional?

Being a magician, and performing for real people is all about looks (not all, but it plays a big part IMO). You want to look like a nice person, but you also want to look sucessful. If you have the new iPhone clipped to your belt, people (that know about it) are going to think you're doing okay for yourself. I mean, you just spent $600 on a new phone.

But, is it gonig to make you look unprofessional? That's another thing you want to look. If having a phone clipped on your belt makes you look unprofessional, are you going to do that? I wouldn't.

So, do YOU think having an expensive looking phone showing while you're performing is a good idea, or a bad one? Which do you want more, to look like you're successful, or professional? Or, do they both go together?

My opinion:

They both go together. I think that you CAN wear an expensive phone on your belt, that makes you look successful. And if you can do it with style, then you can also look professional at the same time. As long as the phone's on silent and you're not checking it in public view, then it can go a long way for your image (assuming it fits your character).

Thanks, and hopefully this can turn into a nice thread. Smile

Best.
Steve
Noel M
View Profile
Loyal user
San Rafael. CA
208 Posts

Profile of Noel M
Anyone can get a cell phone, even a Blackberry. I don't think anyone will think you are professional because of a phone, your performance is all that would matter. Also, many people are put of by someone who seems trying to impress with a "status" item. And finally, your going to get mugged on your way home by some jerk who wants to look "professional."
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
I feel I have to make one obvious remark here. I also have a cell phone that I walk around with all the time. But when working, this little guy is ALWAYS turned off. Why? If there is one thing that truly annoys me, it is talking to someone and he stops and answers his cell... I try not to do the same! When working, I take no calls, period. For me, I think it is a mark of professionalism. This also means that most people I work for never get to see my phone, so the point of an expensive one is rather unimportant.

But that is just my opinion.

Have a nice day!

Louis Jutras
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
A cell phone is just a tool used to make phone calls. Either the call is connected and clear thus making it a good phone or the call doesn't connect or breaks up then the phone isn't good. I have never, ever, looked to see what type of phone someone has and I absolutely couldn't care less if it is the newest design by apple or the cheapest phone found at Walmart. No one I know, and I was in Silicon Valley with techies, cared what type of phone someone else had. The only ones who cares are egomaniacs who believe others care or kids. Again, 98% of those you run into won't even bother to look at what type of phone you have. I had a friend who's son wanted him to put one of those antena things on his car so people would think he had a super phone system. My friend told his son he was a fool.

While working I wouldn't have the phone on, I mean on as in functioning but also wouldn't have it on in view. We survived a very long time without cell phones and they are not needed to be on you all the time. As for successful I've known some high tech millionairs and they all, except one, used the phone provided free by their service. The one guy who didn't used a phone the size of a shoe box he got when cell phones first came out because it still worked and he liked having the oldest and crappiest phone, that and he didn't get wealthy by buying every new thing that came out.

I am glad you got a Blackberry, I use to do a lot of work with both Palm and Research In Motion and RIM were really nice folks to work with so I support their products.

Just a hint Steve, people look at shoes first and jackets second to see if a person likes quality, even then it just means they like good shoes and jackets and could be broke.
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
I personaly think a lot of teens, (even young kids for pete sake) have phones just because they are "cool"

Absolutley ALL of my friends, and I mean ALL have cell phones.
NONE of them actually need them...

What do they do with them? Call and text friends, and play games.

A lot of my friends come to me and say; "Cory, you need to get a cell phone. I'll add you to my 'list' "

I respond; "Sorry, I don't need a cell phone. I have better things to do than waste my time chatting with people who don't even have anything important to talk about..."

To be honest, I am really the only person in my group of friends that would actually use a cell phone for purposes other than playing games and texting answers to a test.

And I still don't have one. In the future, needless to say I will need one. But no need for one now. Just a waste of money.

I have seen children as young as 7 years old with a cell phone. That's just stupid.
Mr Amazeo
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of Mr Amazeo
Speaking for myself and knowing the opinions of a few close friends, I call tell you that we're fairly turned off by deliberate showcasing of 'bling' as some sort of status symbol. But my opinion may just be a generational thing or something. It seems like the world is more and more obsessed with these sorts of affectations. Maybe a Rolex and a Hummer will help with image as well. But I can tell you that they turn me off. Maybe if your gig is a high end country club sure. But if you're working at TGIF than I can't see the point.

If you're going to try to entertain me, please be at my level. Otherwise it's a bit pretentious.

Just my opinion.
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Wearing any cellphone on a belt with a clip is not stylie...just ask any girl who is "with it"...put it in your pocket.

This applies especially to the younger crowd, which you are a part of Steve...
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Hahaha...thanks for all the great opinions everyone! This is why I started this thread. I was worried about the exact reasons that some of you mentioned. I don't want to appear to be arrogant, an ass, etc. Just not my style Smile. But on the other hand, I know a lot of people equate success to material goods, so I wasn't entirely sure.

Once again, thanks! Keep 'em coming! Smile

Best.
Steve
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5842 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
When was the last time that you saw a respected entertainer with a cellphone on their hip, when performing? I certainly can't recall ever seeing anything like that.

A few month back, I was performing at a private party where many of the most respected people in Grand Rapids were. I can't recall seeing any of them with a single cellphone.
ugdini13
View Profile
Loyal user
Chino,Ca
259 Posts

Profile of ugdini13
Yeah...I the cellphone belongs in your pocket or case when performing.It would look pretty unprofessional for your phone to go off or vibrate when you are performing, and would def. break the rhythm of your trick as well. We are not IT Managers or Salesmen when we are performing. I usually close my card/table hopping/strolling sets with a trick using my cellphone, but I don't make reference to it until I bring it out at the very end.

Spades
"Perfection is in the details, but detail is no Perfection"-Dai Vernon
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Yes it would never look cool to be performing while wearing a cell phone. I leave it in my bag for my 6-7 hour shift. I may check it once or twice durring that shift when I return to get a new deck. When you are performing you are "working" and not available for chit chat on the phone. No performer would answer their phone while performing so there is no reason at all to carry it with you. Besides it takes up space when you should be trying to perform as light as possible. The only things you should carry with you while performing are only the things essential to your performance. So NO car keys, NO cell phones, NO cigarrettes, NO lighters, NO chapstic, NO combs, NO nail clippers ...ect. Unless those items have many uses during your performance then leave them in your bag.

, Jonathan
sibbie
View Profile
Special user
East Coast
525 Posts

Profile of sibbie
I am going to stray from the general responses and go along the lines of Noel. Ten years ago people would have taken notice not only at the expense of the phone but just the fact that you were carrying one at all. Now, I don't think it matters one way or another if you wear it or not. Most are simply going to overlook it as it is an everday item for most people. The type will impress but a few.

It is kind of like driving car. How many cars actually catch your attention in an impressive way?

I think the only thing that will cause any attention is if the phone rings during performance. Then you will be getting a lot of unwanted attention that will cause you some problems.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
You know...I just realized I've never sent or, to my knowledge, received a text messege and I also have never taken a picture with the phone.
Guardian452
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
235 Posts

Profile of Guardian452
I am more conerned with wearing a watch than a cell phone, my cell phone is in my pocket on vibrate to not make any noise while performing...if it "rings" I just reach down and click the side button through my jeans

just my 2 cents, id rather be wearing an expensive watch (for the looks reason) than have an expensive cell phone
Been a busker since I was 14 from San Diego; Don Driver was my mentor along with many others like Jimmy Talksalot, Sleveless (Stephen Sloan), Bob Elliott.
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Quote:
On 2007-07-28 19:27, MagicSanta wrote:
You know...I just realized I've never sent or, to my knowledge, received a text messege and I also have never taken a picture with the phone.

Hey Santa! Send me your number and I'll send you a text message. That's my primary form of communication anyways (and not JUST during tests Smile).
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I don't want one if I have to pay for it!
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
You probably get a certain amount free. I get 400 text/pix/video messages for $5. Unlimited is $15.
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
Turn the cell off and put it away. If you are worried about what people see then make sure you have nice polished shoes, a good belt and that all your clothes are pressed, good quality and not worn or frayed. That's what people notice.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3416 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Who are you trying to impress in a burger joint?

"Bling" don't make the magician.

JMHO
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Quote:
On 2007-07-28 23:15, Stanyon wrote:
Who are you trying to impress in a burger joint?

"Bling" don't make the magician.

JMHO

Haha...you'd be surprised. Red Robin might not be a classy place, but we actually get quite a few business men in there almost everyday. It's a fun place to eat and hangout. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Stylish vs. Professionalism...cellphones! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL