The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Stylish vs. Professionalism...cellphones! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Good choice.
It doesn't matter where you are performing.
Having a cell phone with you while performing is definatley unprofessional. (Unless, like previously said it has to do with the routine.)
Alexander Wells
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of Alexander Wells
No one should wear a phone on their belt if they intend to appear stylish. I don't know about the US, but in England it is only done by men with combovers who wear white socks with black shoes. I hate to use the word, but VULGAR is the best way to describe such behaviour.
( actually I love that word but rarely get the chance to use it without seeming a pompous Arse. I fear I may have failed).
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24298 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I can't believe anyone would even ask this question. I'm serious.

Let's suppose you are at a store and your cashier is talking to someone on his/her cell phone all the time he/she is ringing up your sale. Would you feel like you were getting their undivided attention? I don't think so.

There are places where cell phones are intrusive and obnoxious. If someone, such as a waiter or a strolling musician approached my table talking on a cell phone, and tried to appear "cool" about having so much to do before deigning to give me their time, I would ask them to leave. I'd do the same with a strolling magician.

In fact, I'd call the manager over and ask him/her if their employee had made a wise career choice.

The ONLY possible exception I would make would be if there were a really killer effect that used a cell phone that I could perform in the venue I was working in. In that case, I would ditch the phone as quickly as possible after I got through with it.

Maybe there should be a thread about carrying a PlayStation or a Wii!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
erlandish
View Profile
Inner circle
Vancouver, Canada
1254 Posts

Profile of erlandish
David Spade's got a great quote.

"Every time I see somebody cruise by in a limousine, I think 'Oooooooh, somebody's got 75 DOLLARS!'"
The Jester Extraordinaire : bderland.com
Ye Olde Magick Blogge : erlandish.blogspot.com
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Very good!
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I would much prefer you spend $600 on quality attire. That will make you look far more professional and successful than any gadget.

I once heard that the high-priced hookers assess at men's shoes to determine their success and ability to spend money. If they spend money on shoes, I guess they figured they had it to spend, uh, recreationally. I wonder if others use that trick (no pun intended.)
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
So I guess the conclusion is that cell phones are neither stylish or a component of profesionalism in appearance.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
People generally don't look at someone's cell phone unless it is an unusual one, in my experience. And "unusual" usually only lasts about two months.

People in the business world judge a person more by the following (according to GQ):

Wristwatch - a Rolex, Movado, Tag Heuer or the like is generally the number one thing that busniess people (and women in clubs) notice

Manicure - a manicure on a man indicates that a man is a considerate lover (that's a quote from the Science Channel's study on relationships) and also is a social status indicator

Shoes - the better quality the shoe, the richer the individual.

Don't blame me on these, they come from both the Science Channel and from GQ - I did find it interesting that cell phones, blackberries and such were not mentioned at all in these studies...

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
In a social setting producing either a blackberry (made by those wonderful people at RIM) or phone would be rather rude.
JustinVisible
View Profile
Elite user
South Jersey/Philadelphia Areas
453 Posts

Profile of JustinVisible
My turn.... but first, Corey, I am still making the cuff link statement, even at my day job when I am wearing a suit... Until the end.

As far as cell phone, I have a few original effects that utilize my cell phone AND some of the misdirection is putting the phone back into its holder near my back. Just like GodHandz, no buldge but I don't use it for music to help create the mood... I have effects that the cell phone is involved with....

I don't wear a watch when performing. Some do and some don't...... If you really want to impress someone it is your overall appearance... Nails done or at least clean. Get your jacket OR suit tailored so it fits.... Go to the gym, keep in shape..... Wear clean clothes....etc... So I think the cell phone is the last thing to give you status as a performer..... Although, I cannot WAIT to see what kind of original stuff I can change with a super phone like the Iphone....

Cheers,

JPV
"If they laugh, it's funny..."
Flec
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, UK
585 Posts

Profile of Flec
I can't think of an instance where I would even think of using a phone whilst entertaining. Even as a gag, I would have the thing turned on?

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=44

Similar argument in the link above?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Stylish vs. Professionalism...cellphones! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL