The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Card magic, more advanced (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Koko
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Koko
Hy you all!

I'm not so new to magic, but I've choosen card magic as my profession and I'm a bit stuck. I learnd the basics, and few tricks, but I don't find any really good tricks to preform anywhere at any time with any deck of cards. I'd like to learn many moves, but besides that I need tricks that go with that moves(just to practise move, an for move to take any effect). I need some suggestions for books, that will give me knowledge about card magic (history and all), and a bit more advanced moves like double lift and those beginners stuff. I'd need some guidance or smt. to proceed on higher level of card magic. I'm not a beginner, and I'm not an expert...somwhere in betwen, lost in material I have, becuase I don't know what knowledge is usefull do porceed further.

tnx:)

Koko
AngeloR
View Profile
Elite user
441 Posts

Profile of AngeloR
For some of the best instruction on dozens of important sleights, you should read one or more volumes of Card College, by Giobbi. There are 5 volumes and they are $30 - $40 each.

For tricks, my guess is that Harry Lorayne's Close-up Card Magic would be perfect. Overall, the effects are more than beginner-level but quite doable and are very well-explained. You can probably pick his book up for $20- $30. Really, almost anything by Lorayne would be a good purchase.

(BTW, prices above are estimates for new copies. Used copies much cheaper might be available).

Hope this is some help.
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
I will second Angelo with regards to Card College. They are great at any levell. I understand that you concider yourself to more than just a beginner, but in order to be more helpfull, it would be nice to know what material you already have (books, dvd, ...). If you master even the basic moves, you will be able to do a lot more tricks than "uncle bob", and better ones too. One of the most devastating tricks that I use very often uses only a double lift and a basic force.

Louis
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Harry Lorayne's books are all great and full of card magic, and just for moves try Daryl's Encyclopedia of Card Sleights. If you are into videos, then Both Harry's and Daryl's stuff are available on videos. Harry's "best teacher ever" series is fantastic.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Shakey
View Profile
Veteran user
In over 4 million i've made
360 Posts

Profile of Shakey
Card College is without doubt the most important single resource to someone in your position. Start with Vol 1 and work your way from each chapter.It has improved my card magic more than any other single resource (other than mentoring) Good Luck
Jason Simonds
View Profile
Loyal user
Pensacola, FL
269 Posts

Profile of Jason Simonds
If you've gone through Royal Road to Card Magic, Expert Card Technique has a lot of good information and seems to be a natural stepping stone from RRCM. Both books are by Braue and Hugard.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
The only drawback of RRTCM and ECT is that they are at the first view not as sexy as a quick-win learn-a-trick DVD from E.
Cards never lie
spycrapper
View Profile
Loyal user
Indonesia
295 Posts

Profile of spycrapper
If you want book that will give you foundation on card magic, it's Card College series. In volume 1 you will find a brief history of playing card (as you wish) and guidance to card magic..
Magic is life

Ario A.
visit my blog:
http://amagicblog.wordpress.com
Jay Austin
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Jay Austin
Card College is great as suggested above. There is one called card College Light that is completely self-working tricks. Do not overlook this as only a beginner book. It teaches a lot of psychology and the why of magic that is great at any level.

RRTCM is also a great resource for all levels.
Jay Austin

http://austin-computer-solutions.com/
Hire a tech, not a geek.
Jay Austin
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Jay Austin
Card College is great as suggested above. There is one called card College Light that is completely self-working tricks. Do not overlook this as only a beginner book. It teaches a lot of psychology and the why of magic that is great at any level.

RRTCM is also a great resource for all levels.
Jay Austin

http://austin-computer-solutions.com/
Hire a tech, not a geek.
TerryLam
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of TerryLam
I think you should get Card College 1-4, or you can just get 1 ande 2 at the begining. No matter what is your skill level, you can learn a lot from these books due to the detail explaination these books provided. And also there are tricks followed the sleight introduced for you to pratice.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
What books have you read?
If you answer for that, you can expect more appropiate advices.

Hideo Kato
Timm
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
56 Posts

Profile of Timm
The Commercial Magic of J.C. Wagner has some really good stuff that will make you want to pick up your game a bit. There are a lot of routines that aren't too difficult.

I would also recommend Counts. cuts, moves, and subtleties by Jerry Mentzer.
msc455magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Taipei, Taiwan
1523 Posts

Profile of msc455magic
The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings and The Complete Works of Derek Dingle are pure classics in terms of card magic. My advice would be... get them while you still can! You will not regret it.

Hope that answered your question!

Best,
Charles
One Man
View Profile
Elite user
Frederick, MD
491 Posts

Profile of One Man
The Secrets of Bro John Hamman is also filled with good stuff and I second the Commercial magic of JC Wagner.

Kevin
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
3370 Posts

Some of the work of Elmsley is also very good to perform
Cards never lie
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
Books by Giobbi, Bannon ,Elmsley (or is that Minch), Wonder (or is that Minch again), Vernon, Harris and Annemann are all good.

Card College has enough good material to last forever.
What exactly do you mean by advanced?Guy Hollingworth has some stuff that will make your fingers bleed.

On the other hand take a look at Michael Ammar's ETMCM, if you want great looking magic that's quite easy to do and present.

AJ
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Koko-san has not responded after his first post in Magic Café til today.
So far, several different books were recommended.

How can he decide which is best for him?
How can we decide which is best for him?

Please respond to our answers so that we can know more about you.

Hideo Kato
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
3370 Posts

Good point Kato-san . . .
Cards never lie
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
Harry Lorayne's Apocalypse series is great! Card College is also a great choice.
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Card magic, more advanced (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL