The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Preparation of new silks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Genghis
View Profile
Regular user
Derby UK
180 Posts

Profile of Genghis
Browsing Rice's Encyclopedia, I see that it says new Silks should be washed to remove the 'weighting' coating of SERCIN.

Is this still good advice or is it outdated?

Any other preparations needed?
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
That is for old Japanese silks. It is no longer appropriate.

But I'm very glad to see a magician reading.

Enjoy your silk magic.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Genghis:

Yes, I remember reading that too. Unfortunately, I didn't know Bob back then, and tried soaking one of my SKS pattern silks, thinking I was getting rid of the sericin in it. Soaking the silk did mess up the pattern a (concentric cirles) just a bit.

Thanks, Bob, for the clarification. You're the best!

Ron
Genghis
View Profile
Regular user
Derby UK
180 Posts

Profile of Genghis
I have the CD-ROM version of the Encyclopaedia and there's a wealth of information there, but... There is so much! It will take me the rest of the year just to read it and sort out the bits I want to study properly. I wish I didn't have to work - it takes too much time from my magic! ;-)
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Genghis,

Volume 2 of the books stays by my bed. Even after all these years, I think I learn something every time I read it. Obviously, Volume 2 is the one I like best. But I am a "Rice" nut anyway. I wish I knew what he knew.

Ron's comment points out another important thing about printed silks. Even the old printed silks already had the sericin removed before they were or could be printed. (When you think of sericin, think of jelly. Once upon a time it was the "hair spray" for silk. You can spot it on darker colors because it leaves a white dust. Better irons had a lot to do with the need for it disappearing. There was a time when irons did not have good thermostats.)

Enjoy!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7392 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Raw silk still has sercin in it as Bob pointed out. Since most silks you get are already dyed, they have had the sercin removed.

When I get my silk in bolts, I cut and hem it and then wash it out before dyeing it. If you don't do that the dye will not take. If you have any doubt about silk you are trying to dye, wash with a mild soap such as drift before dyeing. A drop (repeat a drop) of fabric softner in the rinse will help kill the static and soften the silk.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Preparation of new silks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL