The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Why Hate Criss Angel? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
linceed87
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of linceed87
Ok, I have not liked Criss Angel for as long as I have been doing magic because of his camera tricks, but I was watching an interview and he is actually a really nice guy and he has done something for our community.... Magic now is actually quite cool, people don't think of magic anymore as a geeky thing. Before Criss and Blaine came to the picture people thought of a magician as a guy that pulled a rabbit out of a hat and I have never liked that, and now people think of magicians quite differently, and to me that's something good.
Just my opinion,
regards mau
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
The high tide...

anyone who bashes those on top deserves to drown...
xxx
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Quote:
On 2007-07-28 22:21, linceed87 wrote:
Before Criss and Blaine came to the picture people thought of a magician as a guy that pulled a rabbit out of a hat and I have never liked that, and now people think of magicians quite differently, and to me that's something good.
Just my opinion,
regards mau

How old are you, linceed87? Ever heard of Doug Henning? David Copperfield? Ricky Jay? Penn and Teller? There were lots of others paving the way to cool, long before Blaine and Criss Angel.

- entity
brainchild
View Profile
Loyal user
Ideological Bigot
259 Posts

Profile of brainchild
He made magic cool? To who? Marilyn Manson and the kids who work at Hot Topic?

To elaborate, I am not really a fan of the stereotypical 'cool' in magicians or comedians. I find it very boring and bland. Obviously in the case of Criss Angel, or Dane Cook, cool and bland can still be very popular.

Richard Pryor, Houdini, Anneman, Rodney Dangerfield, Jerry Seinfeld, Richard Osterlind, Chevy Chase, Bill Hicks, the list could go one forever and while all of these guys were amazing, none of them were particularly 'cool'.
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2081 Posts

Profile of gabelson
Criss Angel and Dane Cook. Wow, there's a double-bill that will play forever to tortured souls in the eternal fires of Hell.
brainchild
View Profile
Loyal user
Ideological Bigot
259 Posts

Profile of brainchild
Yes. That will be just my ****ing luck.
Hansen
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
653 Posts

Profile of Hansen
"Whay hate criss angel"
Why not?
It's fun and I've got nothing better to do on a lazy Sunday afternoon...
Also, he's richer than me. And he has (is?) dated Cameron Diaz.
He deserves my hate.
#%&*!@
E.C. Valdemar
View Profile
Veteran user
Orange County, CA
301 Posts

Profile of E.C. Valdemar
Magicians bad mouthing other Magicians just hurts us all. Hasn't anyone ever read The Amateur Magician's Handbook by Heny Hay?

The sunject of Criss Angel was also brought up on another online community, here was my 2 cents:

I too hear a lot of different things about Criss. Positive and Negative. Most of the negative stuff from other Magician's. LOL Mostly because he uses Stooges and Editing tricks. But hey, Criss had done more magic on TV then anyone else in History. I'm sure after a while everyone would turn to at least one of those tehniques.

Moving on: IMO is he one of the best Magicians out there? NO Is he one of the best performers out there? Again IMO, YES. I think there is a differance between the two. Say what you will about Criss; you can't deny that you will remember him for a while after he's done performing.

Something else I really like about the guy is the fact that doesn't just stick to one style of Magic. He's done a bit of it all on the Show. Street, Close-up, Mentalism, Escapology, Bizarre, Geek, etc , etc. And also I personally dig the stunts. Honestly I would love to do stunts like him. That's just me, though.

There is also the things I've heard about his drive that really attracts me. I'm not 100% but I remember reading some about Criss only sleeps for a couple of hours a night, then heads to the gym for 2 hours and spends the rest of the day working on the shows he's putting together. I admire stuff like that.

All that being said; he does have his weaknesses. Like his patter! WOW I have to admit sometimes I feel bad listening to him try to explain what's going on or what will happen. That to me is a big thing. I think he needs to work on his command of the English Language.

And like someone else said; some of his stuff just comes off as way too over the top and "fake". Criss is really more of a stage illusionist. Some of what he does on stage he's trying to do on the streets. And it just doesn't translate that well.

Well, that's my 2 cents!
~Robert EC Valdimar

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also guys, come on. Be nice. It should be about the AUDIENCE IMO. "Kids" "Hot Topic" Shoppers or who ever are a audience.

~Robert
Rob-ing you of your thoughts www.themindofrobert.weebly.com
Hansen
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
653 Posts

Profile of Hansen
But why should he get to date Cameron Diaz? That's the key point here.
Also, he has more hair than me.
I repeat: #%&$*@!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20290 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2007-07-28 23:48, entity wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-07-28 22:21, linceed87 wrote:
Before Criss and Blaine came to the picture people thought of a magician as a guy that pulled a rabbit out of a hat and I have never liked that, and now people think of magicians quite differently, and to me that's something good.
Just my opinion,
regards mau

How old are you, linceed87? Ever heard of Doug Henning? David Copperfield? Ricky Jay? Penn and Teller? There were lots of others paving the way to cool, long before Blaine and Criss Angel.

- entity

To that list add Mark Wilson, Dunninger, Kreskin, Don Alan, and as you said LOTS of others paving the way.

More magic than anyone else in history? Ever watch Magic Ranch with Don Alan? Copperfield to my recolection has at least a special or 2. On a NETWORK mind you, not on a basic cable channel.

Why hate him? Oh how about because the children and their hero worship gets so tiring that it needs a balance?

It is not about hate and it is not about anything but the fact that if you ask me he commits the ultimate sin. He gets caught. A LOT. By people, NOT magicians. That is not good for magic in any way.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Marc Spelmann
View Profile
Special user
London U.K.
666 Posts

Profile of Marc Spelmann
I don't think people actually hate Criss Angel, hate is a very overused and strong word, I think it is more a case of people especially in this small community that do not like the apparent edits, st--ges and computer clean ups on his work..

Especially if he then says "I get these magic guys saying I use TV trickery and it's because they don't understand the real methods I use." Now whether he uses those naughty techniques or not is not important to me but putting down people who love what he does and do themselves obviously is going to hit a few nerves.

I am delighted to have popular magicians and mentalists grace our screens as it makes the art popular and 'cool' thus giving us more work and admiration for what we do.

IF and I say IF Criss uses camera trickery it can be bad for the art as if joe public catches on then all other TV magic shows will suffer as a result because joe public will not believe any disclaimers. For years there was a trust that if a magician said "There are no camera tricks or special effects used" then joe public excepted it almost like a gentlemans handshake.

Criss is now on in the UK and I have met numerous joe public types who say "It's all camera tricks, why didn't the 'random' person film high above his head when he foated from building to building?"

I admire Criss for his drive and ambition, he is certainly going places and his show at the Luxor is at the top of my list for things to see. I actually preferred him on stage anyway as in the segments from the first Mind Freak.

I agree with many of the comments above, when David Copperfield flew live on stage trust me even us cynical brits thought he was very cool, also when Canasta graced our screens we thought he was very cool.
I think Blaine, Angel and Derren are just the new generation of popular artists.. I'm sure in ten years from now there will be some new guys and people here will be posting how cool they are and then we'll all come on a say "hold on a few years back Blaine made it very cool." etc

I don't think people hate Criss and if they do they should meet the man first and then decide, I think it is more about how he sometimes comes across elitist and anyone else doing magic who is not a personal friend is lower than him. I'm not saying that is what he thinks but I am saying I can see how some might feel that is what he thinks..

I hope that was clear?

Spelmann
It's not goodbye, just see you later...
E.C. Valdemar
View Profile
Veteran user
Orange County, CA
301 Posts

Profile of E.C. Valdemar
That was wonderful, Spelmann. And I think you came across very clear.

~Robert EC
Rob-ing you of your thoughts www.themindofrobert.weebly.com
Marc Spelmann
View Profile
Special user
London U.K.
666 Posts

Profile of Marc Spelmann
Thanks Robert, I can ramble at times...

An example of what I consider to be a good TV magician would be Cyril, his stuff on Youtube is brilliant and of course there is a huge setup with some of his effects but what the audience experience is what matters and they experience a 'real' effect. The burger segment where he pulls a burger from a menu outside a fast food joint is awesome, obviously a huge set up but imagine being the spectators watching that..

Another good show which I am suprised they didn't do more with was T.H.E.M. I thought from a magical standpoint it was very good, every effect was well executed and the responses were great, also the team of guys they used were 'cool' and contemporary. No edits or sneaky cuts required, just good proficient magicians with skills..

The flies from mouth on the blind date was great, reminded me of Candy Man.. what an image..
Also the person through glass in the nigt club scene was perfect, they didn't even need to generate a crowd as they had the queue going into the club.. If you've seen it you'll know what I mean..

Spelmann
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
More magic on tv than anyone else? How long has Cyril been at it?

Anyway, to me, it is all the needless camera cuts. Like 30+ of them in a 5 min clip. He actually has to make a point now of saying this is a continuous shot. Everyone else just casually says, the camera won't cut away. It is the horrible misuse of stooges. Now I understand that in order to convey the effect to people at home, like Blaine's edited levitation, all the reactions are from the balducci, but in order to get the effect to the people at home, he used a camera trick. I do understand that in some situations a stooge may be needed. But he uses them way too often. Hell, I think I saw the same woman he levitated on the sidewalk be a volunteer for something in a later season.

And his weird fetish for levitation is getting really annoying. Or his childish attitude towards David Blaine. When he wanted that "Magic competition" between the two of them. Or all the the effects he has done that are copies of what David Blaine has done, only slightly different. Instead of a Garter snake appear in a kids backpack, I'll make an albino boa appear, please...

It's him saying things that aren't true that get to me the most. Like when he did his metamorphosis, saying it was the fastest in the world. Sorry, Criss, I believe that still belongs to the Pendragons. Or his sawing in half, saying this is the first time anyone has done a sawing in half like this, sorry criss, do the words "Death Saw" come to mind? That is just disrespectful imo.

Things always look too set up. Even the honest to goodness effects he does with pure slight of hand look horribly set up. And that is just horrible acting and performance compared to say anything by Cyril. I am sure Cyril has used stooges before, camera tricks and set ups but the way he presents it it looks natural. Cyril seems to enjoy what he is doing, while I just get a "look what I can do" vibe from Criss.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
Ed Mauve
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Ed Mauve
Criss Angel has a very nice cool image and I'm sure he is a very capable Magician up front and had (in a way) helped promote Magic through his Shows.
But other than his different image from other magicians nothing is special about his Shows.

Though in some part we all know Magic is fake, his Show just proves to us Modern Magician sucks in a way. ( Before present me knew anything more. )

IMO only one is burning himself for his Mum, that is the only good TV show.
I'm not into magic that time and wasn't impress by him at all.

The way he do his show, if its in the 80s I'll sure be impressed. But with the modern day technology of computer graphics (and other high tech filming equipments) in and out of todays cinema, he's is so much worst to date.

I'm not a working magician, but would rather wish someone in place of him who is more willing to put together a more nicer show.

No offense, just a Layman's(Audience) views from then.

A few to name but one I feel is also on par with all the very good Shows will be Mondo Magic.

Cheers.
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Ever see that Simpsons episode where Homer, Apu, Skinner and Wiggum/Barney start the Barbershop Quartet, The Besharps? Well after they strike it big and Barney gets his new girlfriend the "Japanese Conceptual Artist" they start going downhill. So Barney says "Barbershop is in danger of growing stale. I'm taking it to strange new places." i.e. Lennon and Yoko. That is what I see Criss doing to magic, taking it to strange new places, and after the way I have seen it going lately in his shows, I don't like what I see in the distance.

And it is his general attitude. Now there is a difference between self confidence and saying in your eyes you are the best in the world today. And how he can say that with a straight face with people like Johnny Thompson and Banachek sitting behind him I don't know. With his attitude and not to mention the effects he is trying to get away with, seems like he is gaining a god complex.

I thought I posted these last night, but then again I was half asleep.

Criss Angel may be an illusion - Levitation
Criss Angel may be an illusion - Motorcycle Jump
Criss Angel may be an illusion - Hit by car

The guy who made them obviously has an eye for things, so I take it he has some film experience. They point out some interesting things.

See you space cowboy...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20290 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea you posted them, my guess is they were deleted.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Ah, I wish they would tell you they did so, and possibly even why, just so I don't think I am losing my mind and imagining I did things I haven't.

See you space cowboy...
Marc Spelmann
View Profile
Special user
London U.K.
666 Posts

Profile of Marc Spelmann
Joey I have watched those clips on Youtube and the guy makes some valid points, the bicycle jump was very interesting..

Copperfield did things a little differently, I remember watching his Niagra Falls escape and he did use selective camera angles but the effect used no cuts or edits, IF Criss is using them and I say IF as I am trying to stay impartial it will not be too his benefit as you can only fool Joe public for so long, look at Millie Vanillie and in some cases Geller and James Hydrik (sorry for spellings I'm brain dead)..

Criss doesn't need to have digs at Blaine, after all Blaine did a wonderful job of making magic popular again and maybe it would have been harder for Criss to have broken into Television.. Criss is making big bucks, is becoming a household name in the US, does what he loves for a living and lives a life many of us can only dream about, I really find it distasteful to still keep the grudge going, just enjoy yourself and appreciate it..

Also I have to say that Criss and his team did a wonderful job with the Luxor Light Levitation, what a great image, I'd have loved to have seen it. But as many have said here enough with the levitations.. That one tops them all..

Spelmann
Steve4magic
View Profile
New user
Omaha, NE
1 Post

Profile of Steve4magic
As far as Blaine and Angel are concerned always remember that you can't kick a dead dog. In other words, if they were not making waves and creating publicity for our art then we would have nothing to complain about. Critisize, condemn, and complain all you want but with these two guys there are way more positives than negatives. We should all just be thankful... just my two cents.
Fortune Favors the Brave!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Why Hate Criss Angel? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL