The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Why Hate Criss Angel? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Mike Brezler
View Profile
Inner circle
Waynesboro, Pa.
1114 Posts

Profile of Mike Brezler
I don't hate Criss Angel, however I am not a fan of his. A friend of mine met him while in Las Vegas last week and told me he is a very nice person. He gave my friend and his son's autographs and took photos with him. He didn't perform any magic.

He is very popular on TV and has brought an interest back into magic. I noticed this week on NBC, Criss Angel and Uri Geller are mentors to wannabe mentalists who compete for $250,000 and the title of "Phenomenon." The show is on Wednesday evening at 8 pm.
Xpilot
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
464 Posts

Profile of Xpilot
Quote:
On 2007-10-22 22:29, Mr Mike wrote:
I noticed this week on NBC, Criss Angel and Uri Geller are mentors to wannabe mentalists

I think a lot of people here will recognize Guy Bavli's name.

And many will recall that Gerry McCambridge had a special on network TV a couple years ago. If they're just "wannbe's", then looking back on America's Got Talent I suppose we could say that Kevin James is just a 'wannbe' magician.

From the short bio's here: http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/nbc-r......5912.php

It appears that of the 10 contestants, only 2 claim any paranormal powers. The rest are admitted entertainers and magicians.

Quote:
Jim Karol:... Twenty years ago, Jim dreamt the winning numbers of the Pennsylvania state lottery. He gave out the numbers at all of his shows and they proved to be correct. By giving the numbers out at his local shows, he had created hundreds of winners and he became famous overnight.

Seems like hundreds of winners in a single drawing would have made some headlines when it happened.

Quote:
Eran Raven... At an early age Eran began having vivid dreams about the future, but he thought this was common. It was not until he years later that he realized he had a special gift..
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I hope the show goes well.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
worldasillusion
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of worldasillusion
Why hate Criss Angel? plenty of reasons--for one, while he's helped to usher out the public perception of magicians as geeks, he's ushered in a new, equally problematic, public perception of magicians as "weird" and "creepy." Really, it's a new angle on "loser," not the geeky kind, but the creepy, stalker kind. trust me, the kids that are really into Criss Angel at high schools and junior highs across the country are outcasts. It's Angel's whole get-up that miffs me--the whole gothic thing--it's just, well, weird and creepy. And, like Geller, he takes himself way too seriously. I don;t think this is what magic needs.

What we need are smart, witty, personable, artistic and skillful people to help magic--Derren Brown comes to mind. He's not an outcast, he's a star and a true talent. Though it might seem that Angel has helped to bring magic into the mainstream, I truly believe that will ultimately turn out to be false, and that Angel could ulltimately hurt magic.

Just my opinion.
adolphus
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of adolphus
He sure could have passed up on naming out loud "P_ T_____s" and Banachek on national TeeVee...
"Unlike the mere Conjuror, the Mentalist reaches into that space which a hat normally covers. And from there, he withdraws something more fleeting - and at times, far fuzzier - than any rabbit"
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Quote:
On 2007-10-24 20:17, adolphus wrote:
He sure could have passed up on naming out loud "P_ T_____s" and Banachek on national TeeVee...

Why? Average Americans have no idea what that comment meant. As far as saying "Banachek", he's on Angel's show every week so his name is no secret. Criss probably wanted to give him a 'shout out', as the young people say. And "PK Touches" was discussed endlessly here on the Café when it first came out, so it's sure not forbidden to mention it here.
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
I wouldnt have minded the name drop. But he shouldnt have said what the effect was called.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I can keep hoping can't I?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Maforen
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Maforen
As for me I liked Chris Angel in the beginning now I don’t watch him anymore. He looks like a punk who thinks he is the strong man of American. He really loves himself to much for me to take. The only thing he did was bring more attention back to magic. I'll take the character and style of David Blain anytime. Plus angel's DVD's Suck Big Time all baby tricks there, highly over rated. Plus this Ma Ma thing is over the top... It get kindcof sickening after a while.. grow up, we all love our Mothers but man, give us a break. This guy is weird to say the least.???
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
If you really want the answer to this question, perhaps you should ask all of the folks that started with CA but have quit or been fired by him? Basically all of the people that aren't relatives Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
DerZauberer
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
468 Posts

Profile of DerZauberer
Why dislike Criss Angel??? Many say that a Picture is worth 1000 words...

gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-01-31 13:41, DerZauberer wrote:
Why dislike Criss Angel??? Many say that a Picture is worth 1000 words...

wow. Just... wow.

Anyone know where Vernon is buried? I really gotta use the WC.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
JRob
View Profile
Veteran user
Central South Carolina
395 Posts

Profile of JRob
Sitting on a head stone is considered disrespectful to the deceased. Not as much as actually dancing on the grave, but disrespectful none the less. Sitting on a headstone in a pin-up pose by somebody who claims to revere the man upon whose head stone he is sitting puts me squarely in DerZauberer's camp. Until I saw that I didn't dislike him, just found him annoying.
"Jim Roberts, AKA: Professor Jay Rob "<br>
The Professor's Facebook Page
Loopback
View Profile
Veteran user
Lincoln, Nebraska
359 Posts

Profile of Loopback
I dunno, I like his toenail polish.

Tongue planted firmly in cheek
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Why Hate Criss Angel? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL