The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Which Axtell Puppet? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
I've been thinking of adding the Axtell routine Reading is Treasure and have been wondering which puppet I should get to use with it. I like the dragon with smoke option but worry about having to refill it and having to purchase consumables for my show. I also like the elephant that squirts as this doesn't cost anything to operate. The other puppet I think is distinictive is the rat which doesn't do anything else but just has a neat look to it. I'm curious about which puppet folks would like for this routine and why. Thanks for your help with this!

Smartini
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Smartini,

Axtell makes so many beautiful puppets. Deciding which one is best is very difficult. I feel it's a personal choice in many ways and much depends on your own style and personality. Since you mentioned a reading program, you might want to consider one of the book puppets also. I think they come in 2 sizes.

Good luck with your decision. Keep us posted and let us know when you decide. One good thing about it, it's hard to make a wrong choice!

Regan
Mister Mystery
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
No matter which puppet you get your audience is going to like/love him/her.

I use Vern the bird with the Hiccups-Wide Open.

The Reading is Treasure is great. I may do that next year.

I probably want 10 puppets that Axtell sells.

I now have the Drawing Board's (large and small), Vern the Bird w/bird animated bird arm illusion and the Giant talking Book. I've never used the book though.

Thanks-Nez
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1877 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
The book puppet is great. Also, since "bugs" seem to be the "in" thing for '08, you may want to keep that in mind.
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
I love the Duck puppet! I don't own one yet but I am hoping that they will have one I can look at at Kidabra. If I like it (which I am sure I will), I am going to get it!
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I can't decide either.

:(

M:C
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
Pardon me, folks, for intruding.

Colman, how can you expect to keep your life units intact in the Bitterman Challenge if you can't even decide about puppets.

Lucia Von Franz
Referee
foreign correspondent, z and lt

inner being worker
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
If your show is about promoting reading I think it's important to have a puppet that the kid's can relate to so they're inspired to read. Therefore the obvious choice is a boy/girl puppet although it could well work with many puppets. A parrot would fit the theme.

George
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Quote:
On 2007-07-30 15:20, thomas hastings wrote:
Pardon me, folks, for intruding.

Colman, how can you expect to keep your life units intact in the Bitterman Challenge if you can't even decide about puppets.

Lucia Von Franz
Referee

Hastings! How dare yee cross the border!

Once I have chosen my puppet my insanity will return and together me and the axtell will beat the challenge!

M:C
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Matt, stop bringing your loony, surreal friends in from the NTF forum. They make a mess and they smell funny.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I'm sorry, he wet himself over my superior alien humor.
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
Inner Beings have no body fluids.

L

inner being worker
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I vote for that lil' board thingy and draw a book on it.
Julian Franklin
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, TX
139 Posts

Profile of Julian Franklin
FYI: I have the smoke breathing dragon and bought two extra cans of smoke. I have yet to replace the first can that was purchased and put into work in 2003. The cans last a pretty long time, provided you don't spray for 45 seconds at a time. It only takes a short blast to make the point -- one or two seconds max.

Get the dragon. You will LOVE it!

Of course, I also have and use the MDB, Possum, Hippo (VERY POPULAR with audiences), a bird, giant rabbit, and the turtle. They all share their own web site at www.RooseveltRat.com

--Julian Franklin
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1867 Posts

Profile of kenscott
I use Croco the Gator in my school and reading shows. I have been using him for 7 years now. I also have the book puppet. Find that you will work well with.

By the way Todd, Axtell will not be kidabra this year.

Ken
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Starting to lean towards the dragon...nice to know that the cans last so long! (Thanks for the info Julian).

If you haven't seen Ken's handling of Croco the Gator puppet you have to check it out on his library DVD...it just kills and I love watching it with my kids who are 6 and 9. Another puppet highlight is Terry Herbert's Monty the Monkey...again, just brilliant.
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
I know how Ripley felt slowly backing out of the mother alien's egg chamber.

L

inner being worker
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Those puppets are so nice it is hard to pick one.
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-07-30 22:12, MagicSanta wrote:
Those puppets are so nice it is hard to pick one.

Thus...the thread! LOL
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
I vote the dragon...I somehow feel that for you Great Smartini...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Which Axtell Puppet? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL