The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » The Screwed Deck by Paul Harris (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
SCREWED DECK By Paul Harris

The Effect

The magician removes two halves of a card case from his pockets, each containing two halves of a deck of cards, cut right across. Attached to one half of the deck is a screw, to the other half a screw-in hole.... Much like a pool cue. The two halves, in the card case, are put together and are screwed together by hitting one half, allowing it to spin around rapidly.

Unfortunately, the screw becomes jammed at a mismatched position; Meaning, half of the card case is facing one way, the other half the opposite way. Even more bizarre, when the cards are removed, one half of each card is face up and the other half face down! Sort of like a full-deck Card Warp without any cover. Fortunately, the magician manages to un-jam the screw and twist the deck back to it's normal state in full view! The deck is immediately used for a card effect.

Cost

Around $50, and you get the special pool cue card case and a special card gaff. I have also seen this going for as much as $75. The cost is justified by the great quality of the gaffed card case, along with the bress screw.

Difficulty
(1=easy to do, 2=No sleights, but not so easy, 3=Some sleights used,
4=Advanced sleights used, 5=Suitable for experienced magicians only)

3... One special sleight is used to twist the deck to a normal condition, but the first phase is relatively easy.

Review

Screwed Deck is truly a bizarre effect, but a fantastic bizarre effect at that. It is one of those rare effects that gets reactions before it even starts. Just seeing the two deck halves is a startling moment, the screw-together is just as amazing, and pulling the warped deck out immediately following is the real moment of astonishment. Basically, the effect packs non-stop punches from beginning to end.

You get the special gaffed card case that screws together, and a special card gaff that makes the second phase possible. The special card case's screws are very nicely made out of brass, and the whole card case is quite durable. Actually, part of the case is quite fragile, so it is best to stuff it with some sort of object as to not crush the case.

The effect is so strong as stated before, and as long as you ditch the card gaff the deck is examinable after the effect. This is THE perfect opener to any card routine, and is perfect for any type of close-up magic situation.. even walkaround.

Overall

Overall, I give this outstanding effect a 9/10. Card workers will find plenty of potential here, and the reactions are the best achievable. Highly recommended for all card worker!

Michael Kras
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
974 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Hi Michael,

I've been doing this effect for many many tears now and it's a great opener for close-up. I showed this last week to snooker legend Steve Davis, I mentioned that we magicians also have to sometimes screw our decks together for pocket space, he thought it was one of the craziest things he'd seen.

I give this 10 out of 10, handling is easy and the effect is not only excellent it's also sort of crazy/weird.

All the best,

Gary Jones.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

DVDs/Effects; The Unknown - iCandy - More iCandy 1 & 2 - Dupes - 52 0n 1 Project - 74% Self Working - Flying Tonight - Pocket This - 6 Pack Coins - 6 Pack Cards - Thought Wave - Noted - Duality - Live Lecture Vol 1 - Pseudo Pickpocket - iContact - Shock Twist - Thought of Cards Across Plus - Touched - Colour Diffusion - Look No Hands Wayne Dobson - Automata - Box Pad - No Frills Lecture Notes 1 & 2 - The Ammo - Double Cross - Initial Here - Automata 2 - Black Market - Trick Soup - Automata 3 - Penguin Live Lecture - Upper Hand - Cartoon Capers - At The Table Lecture - Life's a Beach Vol 1 - Life's A Beach Vol 2 - Alas Chris and Jones.
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Wow, a snooker or billiards pro would be a great person to show this too! Great idea there.. This effect is a lot of fun!

Any more thoughts on this from anyone?
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
stuartjp
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of stuartjp
This for me is my favourite opener.its hard to actually top this effect its that visual.
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
I've been doing this for many years, too. I'm surprised more people don't do it. Great Paul Harris effect and the perfect opener for a card routine.

Robert
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Definitely. Since, there have been many rip-offs of The Screwed Deck, most notably Jay Sankey's Folding Deck or his Telescoping Card Case.

I also love Paul's impromptu Screwed Deck from the Art Of Astonishment books, and tha also gets great reactions. But I have found the marketed Screwed Deck has non-stop reactions.

Any more thoughts on this?
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
I purchased this used from someone here one the Café, but have never used it. If anyone is interested, send me a PM and it's yours for $25.00. Thanks -

Bill
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Someone get this! It's half off regular price and, as stated before, it is the perfect card opener.

Any thoughts on this?
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1524 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
Are there any demos online anywhere?
I've had a look with no luck.......
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Well, if you go to Penguin Magic and search Paul Harris, look for the search result that says Paul Harris Video #5... the video demo for it has a brief clip of the Screwed Deck which should pretty much give you the gist.

http://www.penguinmagic.com

Michael Kras
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
I agree. I purchased one several years ago and always had good reactions when I presented it. Interesting how it just sort of ended up in the drawer! Might be time to get it back out and put it to use again.

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
He teaches how to make this on his video, but I could never find where to get
the gimmick....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

You're better off just buyng the gimmick on the market... Beides, it would most likely last longer than the homemade version.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
He doesn't teach it really at all, he just simple mutters that "you can make it." Easier said than done however. A lot easier to buy.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Nick-V.
View Profile
Special user
Create and Devastate
817 Posts

Profile of Nick-V.
Great effect.
Peace on the Magical Streets
~Nick V.~
algebraic
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of algebraic
You can see a demo at http://www.thetrickery.com.
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Awesone find! Thank you.
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
The one I had for sale has been sold, thanks to all who expressed interest -

Bill
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I have an original one that comes with a case/box that's custom-made for this prop. Haven't used it lately...

Steve
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1524 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
Got it,
great!
thanks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » The Screwed Deck by Paul Harris (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL