The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » How did you begin??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
One thing different from Illusionists to Close up or mentalist magicians is the size of show and props they use, not to mention the huge cost difference. Not everyone can get into illusions due to the cost and special requirements.

Always wondered how many of you illusionists got your start. How did you come to afford the illusions. Just a little background would be cool.

Ill start... My senior year of high school, I move to a small town with my grandparents as my Grandfather was a carpenter and had his shop. I borrowed his services to build about 6 illusions for around $500 or under each. (Metamorphasis, Levitation, Mismaid, Sawing, Shadowbox, and Tower Cabinet). Most were changed to suit my style..for example...

I opened the show with mismaid. You hear a jetliner land and pull up, next thing you see is a conveyer belt come in from side. 4 boxes, each with a body part name, move onstage on conveyer and are stacked one at a time on a platform. The first box says Head and before its stacked, its opened to show a live head inside, my head. After all are stacked they are opened to show mismaid. They are closed, put in right order, and I step out. All boxes looked like flight cases.

Anyway, couldn't afford new illusions from the great builders so did it myself. Im now a mentalist, but do miss the illusions and get involved with friends shows as well as discusion here. So how did you all get started?
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Hello VideoKideo,

I started in closeup and then jumped immediately into Illusions, spending a fortune on equipment and rehearsal space. When I realized I had jumped the gun I scaled down a bit and took the illusions slower until I could perform them properly. It took a LONG time to earn any success.

This also begs the question... How many Illusionists have "bought" their way into magic and had it work for them? I remember having all those toys and wondering why clients weren't lining up to book me. I see a lot of that going on these days with other wanna-be illusionists who have the bucks to spend but little experience behind them. I've never seen any succeed beyond impressing their friends and other magicians with their toys.

I can't think of any this formula has really worked for????

Lets not talk bad about those still trying to make it via this method as it is not my intention to flame anyone. I'd be interested if we can name anyone who has really made it using this method?

Best,

Tim
Darth Ewok
View Profile
Loyal user
Greeneville TN
228 Posts

Profile of Darth Ewok
Well, the other night I dreamed I won the lottery, and the 1st thing I did was head straight to the big magic builders. (was a hard dream to wake up from)

I'm of the same opion as Tim in real life, tho. add the big stuff slowly (no more than 1 new illusion a year) most of my stuff is close up, but the sub trunk will be my closer when its ready. later I may want to add something bigger, then move sub trunk toward the middle and end with the new illusion.

remember, even Copperfield does small stuff in his shows, heck he can kill with anything

let your show pay for itself. put a portion of your earnings into a seperate savings account just to purchase new stuff
my real name is Kevin Harrison

http://www.myspace.com/magicalclerk
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
Tim is right, theres a magician friend of mine that made a comment that if he had $$$ he would buy an illusion and big time!

They don't realize that I have illusions that I am still trying to work in my show and I have had them for 5 months!
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
I started out with some close up magic and then bought a few USED illusions from local magicians and my father made a few for me too....... GOOD times....
Now I usually have the illusions built when I have sold my clients on a particular idea for my PR STUNT ILLUSIONS..... Or, I just obtain them as I see good deals on them or really want them......

I usually take my old routines from many years ago ( well worked out) and apply them to the new peice....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » How did you begin??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL