The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » YMCA - What should I charge? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
I am not sure what to charge a YMCA. Daycare rate? School rate? Any ideas?
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
Daycare rate! YMCA's generally don't have a great budget!
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Thanks Todd!
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1143 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
It probably depends (as always) on your area. You can't go wrong with daycare rates, if you want the show. In my area, $135 is pretty much the upper limit for daycares for a single show. YM's and other daycamps get charged $200-250 and they have no problem with that.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
Scott O. hit my YMCA and day care rate right on the nose (or even hit $5 high . . .). I haven't been at this long, and I do it part-time, but I second the fact that these are not the places to get those "million dollar" gigs. They are a blast, though, and they have led to lots of birthday parties at double the rate.

I work on word-of-mouth only, and think these are the best venue for generating buzz, especially if you're up front with the administrators and tell them you are going to leave flyers to pin on their bulletin boards, put a give-away with your card in each kids backpack, and give cards to the teachers. I'll bet each of these shows leads to two or three birthdays with in turn lead to other birthdays ...

Doing these shows is vital to get the ball rolling for new "circles" of possible clients. And, some of these kids don't have regular exposure to live entertainment and appreciate your show more than those you'll perform for at private birthdays, and that also makes them tremendously worthwhile.
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
So what ended up happening, Captain?
Hoping all turned out well for you...
Chris
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Mumblemore,

Thanks for the ideas. I do hand out my "magic card" and have Jax (my parrot) sign each. (If I have time, she will bite a hole in each card.)

Chris,

I thought it was a YMCA, but it was a Parks & Rec. (The guy had a YMCA shirt on when he approached me at a restaurant gig.) They are discussing it. I am charging $150, or $125/each for 3 or more. It is in a poorer suburb of Raleigh.

I have a friend here in town that gets $375 for a daycare show. Anyone else get that type of cash?
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2007-08-01 21:39, CaptainKid wrote:
I am not sure what to charge a YMCA. Daycare rate? School rate? Any ideas?

Ask the YMCA what they have in the budget for shows. Or, charge them what YOU NEED to do the show.

John
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
John, I did/do, but always feel like an ass asking how much they can afford (in a less direct way). As for what I NEED or what I WANT. *G*

I am in the building stage so I am taking things a little cheaper than I want, to get my name out. I don't want to be overpriced and lose a weekday gig, neither do I want to be underpriced, so they think less of my work.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
There is always what you WANT. But in reality you should concentrate on what you NEED. You don't ASK them what they can afford. You find out what they usually spend on shows. Offer to perform a FREE show for their review.

They won't think less of your work if your work is good just because of your price. Do the FREE show first. Say, "It's hard to explain what I do but I would be happy to perform a show at any location (within reason!) for your review."

Between all that you will DISCOVER what they pay for shows.

John
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
Captain,
Parks and Rec have much more money than they're ever willing to let on, from my own experiences. Ask them for what you feel you could walk away and feel good about, and realize that they may get MILLIONS for their budget every year, and thousands for special event expenses. They'll play "broke" only as long as you let them....I can get between $500 and $1000 from Park and Recs....depending on show size or numbers....or if I can market my own stuff.
Chris
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1143 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Chris,

Are you talking about a single show for kids? Or is this a larger community event?
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
Quote:
On 2007-08-02 02:25, todd75 wrote:
Daycare rate! YMCA's generally don't have a great budget!

in regards to that. I had a YMCA want to hired me .. I gave them my price. and they asked about giving me a 3 month membership instead..(i would have taken it... if it was in my home town:P)
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Chris, you know how to make a guy feel good about his $150 *G*! $500-$1000? This is for a camp, and a small group of kids.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2007-08-06 16:04, Scott O. wrote:
Chris,

Are you talking about a single show for kids? Or is this a larger community event?

500, 1000 where does he live? I'm moving!

John
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4633 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
If you plan to offer a special price, the first thing to do is to ask what the client's budget is. Then quote your regular price. You now have the two boundaries between which you can haggle, to arrive at a satisfactory figure. Do this when you really want the gig, not because you feel sorry for the client!
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
$500 to $1000 are for Park Districts...not for YMCA's or YWCA's. Sorry, Captain, I did'nt mean to make you feel bad, I just want you to go home with what you deserve.
Keep in mind, there's also BOR to be had here too. Don't forget that. I used to, but not any more. Even if they book for $500, I plan to bring that up to at least $1000 with BOR.
$150 for anything larger than a Birthday party is a client robbing the entertainer, in my mind. But that's me, one person, please keep this in mind.
And if you move here I'll have to call my friends in the Irish Mob, just look for a bunch of Irish guys that only talk through their puppets and carry foam billy clubs....
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Chris,
I am raising my prices, but now I am one of the pricer (BP) magicians in my area (last I checked). I also don't have your experience in this area. I've done a million BP, but not nearly so much other venues. I am also quite sure you show is more suited, especially for schools & librarys. That is changing for me. I'm an old man, and like most magicians, a bit lazy.
Actually I think my main problem is I do too many things, so it is harder to promote 7 different shows. I am focusing more.
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
I respect where you're coming from, Captain...but you're not old! Old is like mid 80's now! I plan on living to be 120 at least!
Keep in mind that Al Flosso used to always ask for above whatever the top star on any program he was on was being paid so he could say he got paid more than anyone.
He was also respected more than many who had full stage acts from those in the business and those hiring in the business. Be bold as love, aim for the stars and good luck with the gig!
Best,
Chris
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Quote:
On 2007-08-06 12:56, johncesta wrote:
There is always what you WANT. But in reality you should concentrate on what you NEED.

Are you a Stones fan perchance, John! Smile

George
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » YMCA - What should I charge? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL