The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » YMCA - What should I charge? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1877 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Chris,
I'm pretty bold, but I want a few under my belt before I ask for the big bucks. I also am shaping up several education shows. I need another website just for this, and I am working on that too. I think that when they see you do BP, the larger organizations think less of you.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20518 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Many civic organizations have a use for a magic show but are not well heeled. There are several solutions but two that are really from the corporate side of business are usually quickest.

One is to simply get your corporate client to "donate" your services for the event. (Usually it is wise to at least have posters, a few printed tee shirts or something that advertise the sponsor. Then it comes from the advertising budget of the corporation.) A second method is to use a backdrop with the sponsor's name, message, etc. This way the rate is the trade show or sales meeting rate as usual with the corporate client. (See which corporate clients sponsor teams for kids. They are often just as willing to spend in the sport's off season. It also gives them a chance to serve kids who are not in athletics. Those who care, really do care and seek opportunities to serve the community.)

The other angle is do it free, only if parents are there! However, populations can really matter here. I have seen both types of YMCAs: those that are really ghetto operations and those that are junior country clubs. Pick your battles. In the right YMCAs, it is the audition for the country club, company Christmas Party, next wedding reception, etc. In the wrong ones, you'll need a tail-gunner to protect your props and car. All YMCAs are hardly alike. Look before you leap.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
This may be a bit "off kilter" as I don't really perform many kid shows anymore (whew!!!) but back in my early career, I did a YMCA show for free to help gain experience. Granted I was only about 8 or 9 at the time...but was WAY AHEAD of my years. Anyhow, I was quickly flooded with phone calls from people who saw my show and called to book me for their event. You would think that's GOOD! It wasn't. Why? Because they all got my contact information from the Y and they were all told that I perform for free.

That was the LAST FREE Y show that I ever did (24 Years Ago). I've done a small handful of Y shows since and the cheapest I billed it for was about $800. The Y paid for half and they billed each parent an activity fee to cover the rest.

Have "walk away power" and don't be afraid to tell them "no, I won't work for that...you should call another enteratiner who may be less expensive than I do."

Just my 2 cents...
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1877 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
My son is autistic, and I do free show all the time to benefit special needs. I don't mind doing free shows as long as they do not conflict with paid shows, and I have no problem saying no. As for $800 Y shows, at this time, my show is not big enough for that high a charge, and I do have money from other sources. I want to do the shows; I just don't want to under or overcharge a new venue. If I undercharge they will automatically think less of the show, and not book me, and if I overcharge they won't book me either.

Bob,

I think you have a great answer, and I am going to try that. Since you have experience in this, do you have suggestions on how to approach a large corporate sponsor?
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12227 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2007-08-08 09:21, magicgeorge wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-08-06 12:56, johncesta wrote:
There is always what you WANT. But in reality you should concentrate on what you NEED.

Are you a Stones fan perchance, John! Smile

George

The GREATEST Rock and Roll Band in the World! YES! I am a fan.

John

PS: I'll be a fan until Mick gets so old his lips fall off!!
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » YMCA - What should I charge? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL