The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » One cup and coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mr. Ed
View Profile
Veteran user
California
337 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ed
So I just received John Murrays One Cup and Coins via an e-bay purchase. I saw Doug Brewer use it in his lecture and had to get one. Now I like Dougs routine, but does anyone know of any others. I really like this device and want to study other routines so I can draw from them to make my own. Any suggestions?
Smile Smile Smile Smile
He who laughs, lasts.
Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
621 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
Here's my routine. To be honest, I haven't performed it under fire. The main difference is that I would use three coins, plus the gaff, while Doug uses four plus the gaff. I would also precede this routine with a routine using three ungaffed coins to help sell the idea that everything is okay and ungimmicked.

1.) Dump out the three coins and the gaff. Drop two coins and the gaff to the mat, retaining one coin in left fingerpalm. Put the coins and gaff into the cup. Doug's move of flipping the coin forward struck my fellow club members as odd when I performed the routine at a meeting. If you show the good side of the gaff and then rotate it 180 degrees as you drop it into the cup, the "bad" side can't be seen because the coin is moving too quickly. Do Doug's production of the coin in left fingerpalm and set the coin aside.

2.) Dump out two coins and put one back in the cup. Openly take the second one under the table and snap it against the underside. Jiggle the cup, then invert it forcefully enough to dislodge the gaff so two "coins" show. This is Doug's through-the-table phase. Put the coin and the gaff into the cup. Bring the left hand up from under the table with the concealed coin and repeat the first production. Set this coin aside.

3.) Dump out the last coin and the gaff onto the left fingers, secretly retaining one. Put the gaff into the cup. I like Doug's idea of using a napkin to take some heat off of the gaff and the cup. Produce the last coin.

My presentational theme would run along the lines of how expensive drinking is and how people are practically drinking money (since the cup resembles a shotglass).
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
I will confess that I've never seen, John Murrays One Cup and Coins routine.

I've been doing magic for awhile and have found what fits my style.

I have been a fan of Larry Jennings for years. I do his one cup routine. I do it standing up.

You start with empty hands, reaching into the air you produce a silk. Placing the silk onto the mat (table) a form appears under it. It of course is the cup. The ball appears next and at the end everything vanishs one at a time.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Yes, but that's a cups and balls routine, not a coin routine. The Murray routine, though using aspects of a C&B routine, still remains strictly a coin effect.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » One cup and coins (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL