The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » I have heard about Doug doing this, now I have seen it. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MCM
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
456 Posts

Profile of MCM
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
Doug always made things extra special. He just has a way of making anything truly magical. I wish he was still around. I never liked the Origami Box, but watching his presentation...the clarity, the poetry and the magical personality...this has become one of my fav.

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
MagicB1S
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
Doug is the reason I am performing today. I grew up watching him perform and as a child he was my Idol. Thank you for bringing back some special memories.
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
John Heggie
View Profile
Inner circle
Huntersville, NC
1805 Posts

Profile of John Heggie
MCM,
Great find.
I also liked the partial interview at the end of the clip.

~John
leondo
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
759 Posts

Profile of leondo
Rannie,
As an illusion designer,I'm curious. What about the Origami illusion do you not like?
Ted L
Timm
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
56 Posts

Profile of Timm
Thanks for the link. There were a lot of other great Henning videos there also.
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
Quote:
On 2007-08-03 00:41, leondo wrote:
Rannie,
As an illusion designer,I'm curious. What about the Origami illusion do you not like?
Ted L

The way it was performed by the lot. It is indeed a beautiful illusion, but presented poorly in most cases. Out of the hundred performances or so that I have seen... only a handful made it meaningful. I love how casually Doug mentioned the back mirror. Almost in passing , but it made the illusion seem more impossible. Some people just have the props and do it so mechanically...it is sad.

I also loved the short interview. It just shows what a beautiful person Doug was. What an inspiration.

Rannie

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
I checked my post and I did seem to dislike the entire illusion. My bad, I did not expound on it. Another thing that gets to me is how the Origami boxes were poorly copied around the world. A total disrespect for a beautiful illusion. I hope I have made myself clear now.

Thanks,

Rannie

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
740 Posts

Profile of dduane
Doug had a way of casting a spell of wonder. I was also inspired by him to get into magic.

Thanks so much for the post.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
As the story goes, it was Doug Henning's idea to call this the "Origami Box", and you can see how much that premise adds to the presentation. Up until then, Jim Steinmeyer was calling it "The Puzzle Box".

Great to see Doug at his best. Thanks for that.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
WagsterMagic
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach, SC
639 Posts

Profile of WagsterMagic
Doug is truly an amazing man. I remember the first time I saw this illusion. I believe it was Jason Byrne, but I do think that seeing Doug do it makes me think me deaply about the illusion.

I definatley need to get one of these.

Best
Brandon

P.S.- I like DC's too.
The Wagsters: World Class Magic & Illusion
www.wagstermagic.com
AnthonyMaze
View Profile
Loyal user
San Diego, Ca
260 Posts

Profile of AnthonyMaze
WHAT ABOUT THE SHOCK OF THE MICROPHONE DISSAPEARING?... I had to start the clip over again... how creative is this that? Never would have thought of using a TT for that...

I agree with everyone else... Doug just has this 'Magic' about himself. Everything to him is magical. This is just a great performance, although as she's getting into the box there was that pause that drew a little from the effect. The interview was a good thing to see as well... I cant believe Joan Rivers is still around... lol....
...for the 51st time... that is NOT my card...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » I have heard about Doug doing this, now I have seen it. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL