The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Pierrot - Your thoughts on this routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
I've noticed a new banner being advertised here at the Café. I watched the short teaser video at his site and then later watched the entire routine on You Tube. You can check it out at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSWQVH_hZoI

What are your thoughts on this routine?
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I think saying negative things about those advertising on the Café is frowned upon no matter how slow, uninspired or badly performed a routine is. So yeah, that was great.....

George
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
Why is this for sale?

Rich B.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
Back in the 70's and 80's I did a silent act called Mime over Matter. It got me a lot of work with museums, and private parties where they also had 3-piece bands as well as an occasional Harp player. (The large beautiful string instrument..rather than the smaller beautiful wind instrument I currently play).

Puppets can also be a great addition to a magic act. They have helped this nearly normal one make his mortgage payment and new siding. He sure knew how to get applause...

Doing mime well is not an easy thing. Back then I could bend from the waist up to form a flat table. These days without the makeup I still do what I call silent comedy bits.

A class in movement, mime, and or dance is recomended to all performers by this nearly normal one. A few years back I took a workshop by the Kapootz Klowns a Mimish duo. They created much much more. They also taught the importance of status and hierchy(sic) which I use in duets including my vent routines. If you get a chance to see them(Kappootz) I recomend them..

I love to see what others are doing with their puppets. The monkey is a cute puppet. After college I interned with a master puppeteer for a couple of seasons. Not sure if the wife was happy about it(at the time) but it has had many years of payoff.

If the author asks for my opinion I would be glad to offer it.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
Thank you Stefan for your email.

Harris
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1736 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I found the applause very annoying after awhile. I have no idea why he asked for it every time that a move was made, but after a few minutes I turned my sound off.
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
Quote:
On 2007-08-03 06:09, magicgeorge wrote:
I think saying negative things about those advertising on the Café is frowned upon now matter how slow, uninspired or badly performed a routine is. So yeah, that was great.....

George

I haven't formed any opinion after watching it but once...Still, I wasn't aware that talking fairly about Café advertisers and their products wasn't allowed.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I thought there was, may be I'm misremembering things. I regret making that post now as my feelings where pretty obvious and I'm as subtle as a brick. I should've been more like Harris.

I haven't got the product so perhaps I shouldn't judge it. I do have some negative opinions about the performance and therefore the routine, I'm not sure whether it's right to air them publicy.

Combining visual/physical comedy, puppetry and magic is one of my favourite things. The old suitcase bit was performed adequately perhaps the product has some great insights into that.

George
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
Has anyone read the Physical Comedy Handbook by Davis Rider Robinson?...But I digress from this topic.

Harris
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
Stefan O.
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of Stefan O.
Hi,

it is interesting to read your thoughts on my routine. Don't worry, I will not comment on anything you said and I accept everyone's opinion.

It is quite difficult to explain in detail what you get when you buy PIERROT as it is far more than just revealing a card with some miming before. On the DVD I go into detail not only talking about techniques but also structure and theory concerning theater and drama.

I am happy that the German children's entertainer Marc Dibowski was one of the first to receive the package and that he was willing to post a review. I did not pay him for his words ;-) He really does seem to like it.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=5099523

Best regards

Stefan

http://www.pierrot.tobit.net
EXCLUSIVE MENTALISM PRODUCTS - Check out Stefan's original routines!

http://shop.stefanmagie.de
The Great Stevini
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of The Great Stevini
I have purposely not purchased a "specially printed deck of cards" before because I didn't have a routine I liked. I liked Stefan's presentation. I'm also not sure about all the applause breaks, but I thought it was a nice way to take the heat off the cards. Good job!
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
I could never do this routine (takes a certain performing style I'll never have), but I respect anyone that can pull it off . . .
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
Structure and theory are very important in theatre in all it's arts..(dance, mime, puppetry and magic)

When I was sharing about the Kapootz Klowns and said they do much much more...it was not more than Pierrot that I was referencing...but much more than mime(singular) can do my oneself. The monkey is adorable and reminds me of a stuffed toy monkey that my wife got me after some painful stones...Puppets, laughter, applause, and double takes are great ways to take heat off.

As a "former mime" I love to watch mime videos. You can take the white face of the mime..but can't take the mime out of a body. Muscles though more stiff still remember.

Sight gag for mimes...

Towels...His ..Hers ...& Mime

Mime like ventriloquism is not a dying art. This nearly normal one respects both.

Thanks for sharing and the memories...

Harris
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
George,
You shouldn't have to feel bad about your original post. How on earth can we grow if everyone's afraid to say what they really feel? Even in a critique the negative must be stated in order to improve on what we as artists may not see because we're "too close to it" and others may have a clear view of.

I couldn't find any rules about not posting negative critique's of vendor's products..perhaps it's an "unsaid" rule...The fact is is that many products here must be judged by amateurs and professionals alike. I thank God for a professional vantage point that protects me, most of the time, from purchasing useless products.

As a critique for the above posted routine:
I thought the backdrop was professional, the performer's entrance professional...I was captivated by the suitcase bit as a "lead in"....
The first negative factor I encountered was the incessant clapping.
The second negative factor was bringing out small props that can't be seen well beyond the second row...like playing cards.
(My honest thoughts as the cards came out: "Oh, no, a card trick! Yuck!").
The puppet was so small I didn't know what it was until I saw the performers logo.
Was the card shown to the audience at all so they could better understand the "drama" behind the whole scenario? I don't remember...I was bored and began looking at the drama masks on the curtains wondering how they were sewn on...

The clapping got so annoying I turned down the sound on my speakers. I felt it was forced on them by planned theatrical stances that command applause psychologically...and the fact that this was the case made the applause sound almost patronizing...but it DID break up the monotony of the routine.

It was excruciating to watch this. I don't think for a minute this could play for school children, but to be fair everyone I saw was an adult in the video. Honestly, as an adult, I would have taken a breather and left the theater until this was over.

As for the artist's intention, I believe the intention was there to present a professional routine that was entertaining. I have to wonder if the forced applause has given him a sense that he's "good" but in fact is giving him the complex called "clapping ears".

OVERALL:
This routine needs an incredible amount of work. The performer needs to use the myriad of mime techniques that could indeed provide more entertainment and make a typical "pick a card" routine much more enjoyable. Was this ready for "market?"...No.

Please keep in mind that I LOVE mime and deeply respect it as an art form I know well, studied deeply and perform often. I WANTED to like this, but honestly, it was one of those routines that COULD be good, but it just isn't ready....I also appreciate the work he's put into this and the effort he gives on stage. I truly believe he simply needs to hone this, get rid of many of the "command applause" stances and begin from scratch, learning and listening to the audience who will clap naturally, and with gusto if subtle "stances" are provided, on their own.

BTW: Smartini, what is your honest opinion about this routine? Why did you want to know our thoughts? I would think you already knew this was "bad"...so what were your intentions?
Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm building a fence with
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
When I was younger, my mom told me if I didn't have anything good to say don't say it.....so I won't.
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
Good one, Harv!
However, I was taught that when I did grow up, it was best to be honest with people when they ask for an honest opinion so they can grow and learn from the response. I've had my share of tough critiques over the years and I remember the tough ones the most..and those tough ones were the ones that caused me the most valuable and positive introspection.

I had to face a fork in the road. Do I hide from criticism I don't like, label it as "negative" and become defensive..thereby never fixing anything because I was too busy fighting back? Or...should I face the critique like an adult, swallow my pride and take the critique as a gift, a reflection, that could fuel my passion. If I really loved what I was doing, I would allow that energy from the critique to come out as positive growth, not negativity. Only after doing this was I able to look back and really understand what my peers and teachers were doing...helping me and being true friends.

I sincerely hope Stefan uses my critique positively and does not become defensive. I hope he looks at the critique as a chance to grow and takes what he wants from it. Overall, I hope that his business grows and he prospers. Personally, I would not count on those who hide behind 'niceties' as friends...and I hope he knows I am trying to be a good "brother" on the entertainment path and offer what insight I can.
Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm building a fence with
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
Chris hopefully your critique will be taken as you intended and I agree with what you said. I actually enjoyed the initial pantomine, but I also have to agree that the clapping was really annoying....especially because there was no reason to do so most of the time. I just went to the Pierrot website and I will be the first to say it....$219US for this routine is incredibly outrageous. This could have been an inexpensive DVD where, if you really wanted to do the routine, you could assemble the props yourself.
kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
While I agree with many of the criticisms of this piece, at least the guy was good enough to post a live video of the routine to show exactly what you get.
VISIT MY ONLINE STORE!: www.kimmomagicshop.com
NEW LECTURE NOTES - SHOW US YOUR TRIX NOW AVAILABLE AS AN INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!
Order your copy NOW! CLICK HERE!

ENTERTAINER,MAGICIAN AND VENTRILOQUIST'S BLOG - DON'T READ THIS...
Stefan O.
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of Stefan O.
Hi guys,

thank you all very much for your comments and critique. Chris, I do not feel offended at all. I appreciate eveything as long as it is more elaborate than just saying "this thing sucks"...

However, please let me make a few things clear:

First of all, I was wondering why you started this thread in he children's section, because PIERROT definitely is not intended for performances in front of children.
I have been performing this exactly the way it is for the past eight years with huge success at any venue with up to 100 people. I admit that it is not ideal for big stages due to the size of the monkey, but to be honest, how many of you do regular shows on big stages with several hundreds of people watching? The big pro is that it is suitable for every gig you do, no matter in which country as it plays totally silently, a thing I was eager to ensure when I developed PIERROT.

I think it is always wise to show exactly what you get so you can make your own decision. I hate "colleagues" who present the holy grail in their ads and when you receive the trick it is nothing extraordinary at all, just because it lacked a demo video to help people make up their minds. I charge 159 Euros for this routine and I want someone who is willing to pay that much for a magic trick to know exactly what he will get. I guess that's only fair. Including everything you need was intended to help beginners to develop a routine without having to run around assembling all the props and to add somethung to their act that is different from most other tricks.

For those of you, who do not want to use the materials I supply, I am happy to announce that a CD/DVD Combo will be released, soon at a regular DVD price. This includes a 2 hour dvd covering every theoretical aspect and of course the royalty-free music that has been composed especially for this routine. Assemble the props yourself and create your own version of PIERROT . Please feel free to contact me personally for more information on this.

Just a few final words on the performance video and pricing:
I also disliked the annoying clapping of the spectators. The whole thing was done in one shot from different angles, because I did not want to stooge the audience and have them go through all of this over and over again. The only thing I told them was that they should applaud or laugh whenever they wanted to. Knowing that there was a dvd production going on, they might have wanted to make a good impression and thus applauded for everything I did. Usually, they only applaud when the spectator comes on stage, when she manages to mix and square the deck, when the monkey is brought out and of course at the end, when the card is revealed. But as I wanted to show you everything, I did not edit the applause afterwards.

The price in Europe for PIERROT it 159,- Euros (which is actually even a little bit more than $219 USD - at least a few months ago when the pricing was defined). The average prices for the stuff you get with PIERROT here in Germay are the following (all prices in Euros):
Monkey: 20,-
Carry case: 35,-
professional brush: 5,-
Sponge: 5,-
Theater water makeup (reknowned Dutch company "Grimas")white: 10,-
Theater water makeup black: 10,-
gimmicked cards: 10,-
Total: 95,-

Add to this the signed and numbered certificate, the labour of producing a dvd, having special royalty-free audio tracks produced, recorded, labeled and added to the package, putting everything together, bearing in mind the margin magic shops get when they sell the product, you might realize, that I do not earn much when selling this product .

I hope this discussion will go on a bit longer, I am pretty much interested in more opinions on PIERROT.

Best regards from Germany

Stefan

http://www.pierrot.tobit.net
EXCLUSIVE MENTALISM PRODUCTS - Check out Stefan's original routines!

http://shop.stefanmagie.de
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
I agree, Kimmo! Very honest and something very commendable to say the least....
Stefan, I agree about the "holy grail" comment. To show everything was very bold and honest...something not done much these days.

As I said, I hope my comments helped you. And to have this posted in the "little darlings" was a bit odd, but I didn't post it here, Smartini did..however, I'm happy he did as I hope the critque helped.

I still like the concept, it just needs more work. And..it's only my opinion. Others may see something totally different.
Best,
Chris
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Pierrot - Your thoughts on this routine (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.35 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL