The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Pierrot - Your thoughts on this routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Nina Conti...i've seen her live twice. Very funny stuff.

I remember watching the video of this a while ago and not being too impressed. Maybe the new video will be better.

M:C
Stefan O.
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of Stefan O.
Hi guys,

the revised video is now available at Youtube - and the annoying clapping is gone ;-) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeST1z1aMUw

Feel free to check it out.

By the way: The Combo preorder offer is still valid. You will get a two hour DVD, an audio cd, the special deck of cards and an official signed certificate for only USD 40,-.

Many creators charge that much for a single DVD!

Best regards

Stefan
EXCLUSIVE MENTALISM PRODUCTS - Check out Stefan's original routines!

http://shop.stefanmagie.de
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Special user
Living in Perth Western Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Hi Stefan,

I wish you well with your endeavour. On another level I likened your routine to an amatuer drama night type of performance. In all honesty the mime stuff was OK, but definitely not of a professional level. I've seen some of the greatest do the suitcase gags, and I wouldn't try it for anything due to just not having the skills to make a professional presentation. Sorry to be a bit harsh.

All the best,

JoJo
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
Stefan O.
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of Stefan O.
Jojo,

don't worry, if I did not want honest opinions, I would not have posted it but stuck to a demo trailer that hides more than it shows...

Stefan
EXCLUSIVE MENTALISM PRODUCTS - Check out Stefan's original routines!

http://shop.stefanmagie.de
TRUMPETMAN
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
705 Posts

Profile of TRUMPETMAN
I am curious about the music you use on the beginning of the routine. The jazz piece is from the soundtrack of a cartoon show on the Nickelodeon Network here in the US. The show is called "Little Bill", and is loosely based on the childhood memories of comedian Bill Cosby.

My son was really into this show as a preschooler, and since I am a musican, I recognized the piece right away. It was used on many of the cartoon's episodes. The players are all well known jazz musicians from NYC.

Isn't this copyrighted music ?

Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
facebook.com/robbietheringmaster
Stefan O.
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of Stefan O.
Mark,

I sent you am PM on this issue.

Regards

Stefan
EXCLUSIVE MENTALISM PRODUCTS - Check out Stefan's original routines!

http://shop.stefanmagie.de
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Quote:
On 2007-08-23 10:53, Danny Hustle wrote:
If you want to see a god of comedy mime perform the suitcase bit check out Les Bubb here:

This is what it is suppose to look like.


I disagree. Granted, the guy's better than I could do, but when I watched him doing the slow-motion tip-toe onto stage I had no clue what he was supposed to be doing -- the "mime" message wasn't there for me.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
It does not surprise me at all that you wouldn't get it. Thanks for your comment.
Image

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
Quote:
On 2007-08-28 10:51, TRUMPETMAN wrote:
I am curious about the music you use on the beginning of the routine. The jazz piece is from the soundtrack of a cartoon show on the Nickelodeon Network here in the US. The show is called "Little Bill", and is loosely based on the childhood memories of comedian Bill Cosby.

My son was really into this show as a preschooler, and since I am a musican, I recognized the piece right away. It was used on many of the cartoon's episodes. The players are all well known jazz musicians from NYC.

Isn't this copyrighted music ?

Mark Pettey
Naples, FL


This is a very good question. If one was to use "copyrighted music" in their work wouldn't they make note of it somewhere? I use Arthur Stead royalty free music but wasn't really clear on the permission thing, blanket coverage of non-royalty free music. Can someone enlighten me about this?

Smartini
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Special user
Living in Perth Western Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Quote:
On 2007-09-01 13:01, Starrpower wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-08-23 10:53, Danny Hustle wrote:
If you want to see a god of comedy mime perform the suitcase bit check out Les Bubb here:

This is what it is suppose to look like.


I disagree. Granted, the guy's better than I could do, but when I watched him doing the slow-motion tip-toe onto stage I had no clue what he was supposed to be doing -- the "mime" message wasn't there for me.


Starrpower,
I've looked at the video clips Dan posted in this thread and it makes total sense to me. I'm not sure what part of the mime message you didn't get! In comparison to the clip posted here by peirott (sp) there is a world of difference between him and Les Bubb. I"m not wearing my rose colored glasses, but in quality of performance it's like night and day. Maybe you need to take a closer look at the original start of this thread and see which clip is being talked about.

All the best,

JoJo
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
I have debated long and hard over putting my two cents in on this thread. Mostly because I think Stefan is a sincere guy who obviously put a lot of work into this DVD. I have not seen the entire product but the clips I saw and the description of the length of the thing shows a sincere effort and I applaud him for that. I would also like to say that the premise of this act is tried and true and it's roots here in America anyway stretch back to vaudeville. That is also a reason why I haven't commented so far, I am an American although I am often told I have British tendencies. Smile

That being said, I feel a bit uncomfortable commenting on a piece that seems to be VERY European in it's origin. The fact that it did not blow my hair back may be more of a cultural thing than a problem with the act. I don't know.

Also, I am a comedy entertainer. When I see mime I have a certain expectation and that is comedy/clown. Guys like George Carl, Bill Irwin, Charlie Frye, Les Bubb, Michael O'Connor, etc.

I do not think this piece was written as a comedy piece but meant as a little piece of theater art that my narrow American palate is left wont to understand.

Taking all of that into consideration please weigh my comments from that perspective.

I personally found the performance to be bland and amateurish. I thought the premise was quite good and as I have pointed out in the links I've posted earlier it is also tried and true. Now, because the performance was a bit dodgy (in my American estimation) does not mean that the teaching portion is. So, for the sake of argument let's say it is my bland American palate that is the problem, but I am a guy would like to do "something like this" as part of my act. If the teaching portion is any good at all even a guy who didn't like the performance but really liked the premise could take the idea of it and run with it. When you are purchasing a routine like this that is normally the goal anyway. Take it, learn it, put your brand on it and perform it. So as long as the technical teaching aspects are there even if you didn't like the performance it might still be a worthwhile investment if you wanted to learn some basic mime as an entire routine.

I might also recommend Bill Abott's DVD with his Chico routine, which I believe may be based on a Don Alan routine. This is also a premise Billy McComb did way back in the early 50's (based on the "Felix finds a card routine" written up in Genii vol1).

Well, that's all I got. Stefan seems like a sincere guy who has a true love for his art and I wish him nothing but the best.

Best,

Dan-
Image

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Quote:
On 2007-09-01 20:16, Danny Hustle wrote:
It does not surprise me at all that you wouldn't get it.


Why's that?
Stefan O.
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of Stefan O.
Hi there,

as I had several requests so far concerning the future of PIERROT, I just want to inform you that the brand-new PIERROT Combo (DVD, Audio CD, deck of cards) will finally be released at the end of this week (September 28)! Until that date, the preorder offer (free shipping worldwide!) at http://www.pierrot.tobit.net is still valid.

I hope you will like it.

Regards from Germany

Stefan
EXCLUSIVE MENTALISM PRODUCTS - Check out Stefan's original routines!

http://shop.stefanmagie.de
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Pierrot - Your thoughts on this routine (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL