The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove pocket (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jokerthehoudini
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of jokerthehoudini
Hey everyone I'm kind of new to dove magic I got some good meterial but I don't know where to put my dove pockets at . like how far or how close to the opening of the jacket.thanks for your help and sorry for my spelling.

Henry
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
The exact location is up to you. Whatever is comfortable and works in your act. I know some guys that position them back a little from the edge of the coat while others have them near the edge. Mine sit about 2" back and are at a slight angle. Some magicians prefer the pocket to be straight and level.

It's also a matter of preference how high or low to place them. That all depends on your act and how you intend to product them.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is really no one answer to your question. Every dove worker is different.
Where the magic begins
Koenraad
View Profile
New user
Europe
59 Posts

Profile of Koenraad
It also depend on what kind of costume you use and your body figure (heavy built, small, long, ...).

Best way to find out is first using safty pins to find the best position.
Best posision is; if doves come out quick, if your costume do not move when producing, if you can not see the shape through your jacket and not flashing when making gestures. Check this out in de mirror or on camera.

Just as Dave, mine are also 2" back. I use the General Grant pockets they have a unique and perfect desing.

-Koenraad
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Good point about the body figure. I've gained more weight around my waist than I'd like so I moved the pockets up a bit to rest just above the body buldge. The loop stays in the same position but the pocket is moved.
Where the magic begins
jokerthehoudini
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Thanks guys. I have my pockets in a angle but I didn't know if I put it in right. I guess my wire is too short. And does it matter if your wire is black or silver?
David Boyd
View Profile
Regular user
NYC
197 Posts

Profile of David Boyd
If your shirt is a gray/silver color then your loops would be better if they were silver because if they happen to "Flash" outside of your jacket then they will blend in with your shirt and go unnoticed.. Vice Versa with black loops maybe try a dark colored shirt but.. you can choose any color you perfer I was just trying to give examples.. hope that help some
Peace
David Boyd

www.myspace.com/harlemmagic
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
The object is to have the loops as invisible as possible and blend in with your costume. You can wear a white shirt with black loops if you are bending the loop around your black jacket lapel. I wear a black shirt sometimes so I don't need to bend the loop.

I would stay away from silver wire however. Silver will reflect light very easily and migh flash as you move. You can get the proper size black wire at any hardware store or from Andy Amyx here on the Café. You can also use floral wire which comes in green. You just pass the wire through a flame and it will turn black. You have to wipe it off on a towel though to remove the charring. Don't over burn it, just enough to turn it black. It is a little heavy though that recommended sizes, but it will work.
Where the magic begins
jokerthehoudini
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Thanks guys you helped alot
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove pocket (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL