The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Knight Tour (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mindgames
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of mindgames
My friend, I just bought Lior Manor's Knight Tour and also Devin Knight's Knight Tour. I got a geek in the chess competition so I guess those stuff can be use for the show, recently I do understand that for the professional chess player, knight tour might not as interesting as I guess...
So, I wonder if someone can help me sharing your routine, or pattern, or even a little knowledge about the miracle inside the trick itself... that can make it interesting.
I also like to know if someone have any knowledge for Peter Reveen and Ricky Jay routine... what make their routine so different?
I READ MINDS.... YOURS TOO.
Glossolalia
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Glossolalia
Professional chess players will certainly be familiar with the Knight's Tour.

Perhaps have a prediction under the last square, with the first and end squares being chosen to make it look more challenging. Have a page selected from compendium of games and have the board position show the final position of the selected games. You can even have someone think of a famous game from history and do this Smile

This should give you some ideas to kick you off.

I am sure that if you bought it from Lior, that he'd also be more than happy to discuss any presentational ideas with you.
mesmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of mesmer
Quote:
On 2007-08-05 11:50, mindgames wrote:
I got a geek in the chess competition

It's a Gig...not a geek.

:)

You can use Lior's Knight's Tour ending as a revelation of your prediction.
mindgames
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of mindgames
No... no specially for the chess player is a geek.. not a gig...

Anyone?
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
The late George Koltanowski used to do multiple boards on the knight tour. Another presentation he used (sometimes in combination with the multiple board knight's tour) was to have a name/word memorized for each square.

Instead of calling the square (a1 to b3) he would call out the word he had memorized for each square.
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1961 Posts

Profile of Lior
Quote:
On 2007-08-05 11:50, mindgames wrote:
I also like to know if someone have any knowledge for Peter Reveen and Ricky Jay routine... what makes their routine so different?

Peter Reveen and Ricky Jay make their routine so different.
The Knight's tour is good for showman and very bad for the rest.
It can help you become a showman.
This is something that need to be learn for a long time
The system itself is very easy but the presentation...

Lior
The Lior Touch
https://1amagic.com/
PEA Dave Lederman Award 2009
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Life Time Achivmeant IUPA 2016
mindgames
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of mindgames
Thanks Lior, any idea how Peter Reveen or Ricky perform it?
What make them different then other routine?
mesmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of mesmer
I see a guy do this with two board at the same time.....and put his performing fee as a wager if he can not complete the Knights Tour in time....but forgot the name of the performer....there is another guy who do this while Blidnfolded and sell it as a mindreading as if he reads the minds of the spectator who stand near the chess board....the spectator who move the knights around....this spectator must be able to know how to play chess...otherwise its NOT going to explain how the Mentalist move the Knights...because the Mentalist going to read the Tought of this Spectator....Im NOT Familiar with Raveen & Jay Presentational idea......but Im sure you can create your own presentational Idea.....maybe Doing it while do Tap dancing & Singgng the National Anthem Smile
Carlos the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1234 Posts

Profile of Carlos the Great
Mindgames,

Page 20 of Lior's manuscript (in addition to the main method)

-C
Cognite tute
mesmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of mesmer
Quote:
On 2007-08-06 20:04, Carlos the Great wrote:
Mindgames,
Page 20 of Lior's manuscript (in addition to the main method)
-C

Agree!....
mindgames
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of mindgames
Ok, thanks for all the help, but mesmer, truth is I don't need ur help to do this.. if you like to help.. get the d**n phone or just came to my place! Smile
mesmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of mesmer
LoL

I just want my post to reach 1000....at least I'm veteran User now.
mindgames
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of mindgames
No wonder you helping people out now.. I tought it agains your religion...
ns
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
238 Posts

Profile of ns
I don't know of Ricky performing the effect but saw Reveen do it. He had a huge board and 2 assistants pulling down doors to cover each number until all the doors were shut. When all the dors were shut it showed a picture. It was probably a 20 minute routine and exciting the whole time. A truly great showman
Carlos the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1234 Posts

Profile of Carlos the Great
Mindgames, I have a couple of ideas to make it more "interesting":

you could make it "educational" (like http://mathworld.wolfram.com/KnightsTour.html for example)

you could make the conclusion memorable/important/personalized. If you have Lior's version, you know what I mean, I won't go into any more depth here.

I had another idea but I lost it.... don't you HATE it when that happens? lol

-C
Cognite tute
mindgames
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of mindgames
Hahaha.... thanks for all guys..
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Mindgames, I have a few suggestions:

1) Check out these Knight's Tour video clips for some ideas.

2) Make the challenge tougher by having your spectator choose the beginni...... squares.

3) Think about your stage persona, and how he would relate to the challenge. Is he a con-man, who is using his ability at the knight's tour to hustle people? Is he an absent-minded professor who manages to do the knight's tour in spite of himself? Presentation is important!
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3226 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
How about using a two digit stamp to represent the Knight. You stamp the starting square with a number, and by changing each of the digits on the stamp, and making the Knight-move to find the next square to stamp, you end up producing an 8 x 8 magic square that has the numbers from 1 to 64.

You could also do it with those little sticky letters, you'd just need a small container with 10 sections to organize the digits.

It would have to be done rapidly though, and you'd have to hand out the magic square square at the end since nobody could confirm it was correct on the spot.

There still could be a prediction aspect at the end.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
mindgames
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of mindgames
Thanks for all.. I really appreciate that!
Scotty Mac
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of Scotty Mac
Does this effect really play that strongly? I can see where the math and chess set might be impressed, but even the Gerry McCambridge version was (thankfully) heavily edited for TV.

From a layperson perspective doesn't this just come across as you've memorized a formula? Same with Magic Squares.

Maybe it's just me, but I have a hard time with effects where I'm supposed to be a mental giant who can solve something like Knight's Tour or a magic square and then I have to ask the names of the spectators more than once. Maybe I need to go back and re-read my Harry Loryane memory books to fix that part Smile .
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Knight Tour (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL