The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Unconventional Convention 2007 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Cody Comet
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
201 Posts

Profile of Cody Comet
How many of you all are going this year.I might be going this year,since my parents find the price($20 per magician,others get in free)reasonable unlike the combined convention price,so if any of you all are going,I hope to see you there.
Sir Pat-Trick
View Profile
New user
Cincinnati, Ohio
54 Posts

Profile of Sir Pat-Trick
I plan on going. I am going to be showing my new act I am working on.
Trick is in the Name!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
This was a really good one in 2006. Here's hoping I get invited back for another great one. My first one sold me!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Sir Pat-Trick
View Profile
New user
Cincinnati, Ohio
54 Posts

Profile of Sir Pat-Trick
I Hope you do get invited back Bob it was a pleasure meeting you down there.
Trick is in the Name!
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
Is there a website...so those of us NOT familiar with the convention can keep up with it?
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Today I called Edgar and requested that they post something here for us. Of course, it is still very early but it appears that it will be November 2 and 3.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
magicelam
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee
368 Posts

Profile of magicelam
Anymore info on this convention?????
Mike
Brandon Johnson
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Brandon Johnson
Where is this covention held? I think someone told me Kentucky but if so what part of Kentucky. I may have the wrong state also.

-Brandon Johnson
magicelam
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee
368 Posts

Profile of magicelam
It is kentucky... I went back in like 2000 or 2001... jim sisti, stephen bargatzi, bob escher, the reed sisters, and some woman who held some office in SAM were there... as well as others. it was great... it was only $10 back then... I think it is 20 now.
Mike
Mr.Dennis
View Profile
New user
Louisville Kentucky
81 Posts

Profile of Mr.Dennis
It's ring 198 in Lexington KY.
Here's some contact info but nothing posted for 2007 yet.

http://www.freewebs.com/ring198/
magicelam
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee
368 Posts

Profile of magicelam
Hey guys,

Here is some info. I talked to Edgar, and here is the info he confirmed... I should get an email from him soon for who the main lecturer is.

Unconventional Convention Nov 2&3 (fri and sat)
DuPont Lodge at Cumberland Falls State Park
Corbin Kentucky

You can reach the hotel at 800-325-0063 - mention the convention to get a special room rate of 79.99.

Registration is $20, and if I'm not mistaken (you might wanna get this confirmed from someone in the Lexington IBM ring) you can bring a friend and they can go for free. I'm pretty sure that is how Edgar explained it to me.

So, I do believe that I along with a few other of the Tri-Cities guys will be going... Hope to see you there!

-Mike
Mike
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Mike,

The time is drawing near. People who have not attended this need to get it on their "to do list". It is one of the true bargains in magic conventions. Lucy and I really enjoyed it in 2006 and hope to be back in 2008. (Unfortunately, we had conflicting dates this time. But 2008 I hope we plan better. There is an Art festival here at our ranch November 3th and we need to be home to host it.)

Enjoy it and report back to us here at The Magic Café.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Cody Comet
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
201 Posts

Profile of Cody Comet
Yep, the time is coming close. I can't wait till I get to go especally since this is my 1st magic convention. Because of that, I wanna ask a few questions.

1. Does anyone know a schedule of events for this years convention?
2. What is it like?
3. Will I get time to fish at the falls?
4. What lecturers/dealers are gonna be there this year?
5. When do I pay the $20 entry fee?
6. Whats the hotel like?
7. Is it better that the big, expensive conventions like the combined convention next year that's so expensive that I can't go despite that I live in da ville?
8. Is there close-up and stage contests?
9. Is there gala shows?

Sorry if this seems like a lot of questions, I'm just curious since this is my 1st magic convention that I'm really anticipating! Can't wait!
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7382 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
A couple of tips as I was the big name a few years ago. Take a cooler with some food as you will get tired of eating all the meals in the one lodge dining room. It is very good but you just get tired of it. It is very laid back. The scenery is gorgeous. It can be very pleasant or snowy. Watch the weather forecasts. You are pretty isolated. So don't plan on going to run out to a Walmart for something. It is an hour drive.

John Mendoza is the featured performer this years.

It is a great convention. I will make it back again sometime but I have Collector's things going on the same time. Only so much time in the year.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Cody Comet
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
201 Posts

Profile of Cody Comet
That sounds good that John Mendoza's gonna be there. I can't wait. And everybody keep on answering my 9 questions please.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I really hate missing this one! Next year I will get the dates before I commit to other gigs.

Lucy and I look forward to 2008.

Bob and Lucy Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
There is no schedule. That is one of the things that makes it "Unconventional." Having said that, there is a traditional format they follow:

Friday night show
Saturday lecture(s)and some sort of close up experience
Saturday night show

Everything else is kind of done on the fly depending on who is there and what they want to do. You pay your registration when you show up. If you want to be on one of the shows, tell them. You might get asked, you might not. But that's not important. If you want a spot, let them know. They are generally accommodating depending on the numbers.

The area is gorgeous, but remote. Expect to leave civilization for a weekend. It is a dry county (or used to be) so no booze sold on site. Not sure on the policy for bringing your own. It's been done before, but this is a fairly tight knit, "family friendly" group, so you don't want to make a fool of yourself for the wrong reasons. Goofiness is fine - belligerence, not so much.

Past guests of honors and visitors have included Neil Foster, Tom Odgen, Tim Starr, Abb Dickson, Whit Hayden, Mac King, David Williamson, Al Delage, Steve Bargatze, John Calvert, Simon Lovell, and Michael Ammar. It's a great hang. You can learn a lot there, but more through the one on one conversations you will have than a big glitzy lecture.

You never know who might show up.

Brad Henderson
Cody Comet
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
201 Posts

Profile of Cody Comet
Thanks for the info, and since I'm just a freshman in high school, I wouldn't be able to bring beer anyway.
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
No, you wouldn't be able to bring beer LEGALLY Smile Enjoy yourself. There are some great guys who will be there and if choose to listen, you can learn a lot. (I grew up in that area - Frankfort - and used to go every year.)

Brad
Cody Comet
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
201 Posts

Profile of Cody Comet
Thanks, hopefully I will learn a lot up there, especally since I am better about listining to the elders than a lot of other teen magicians. I can't wait for this to come.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Unconventional Convention 2007 (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL