The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Carrots! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I want to produce some carrots in a big, amazing way!

I'd like to use some of these 12 inch babies and I am looking for a great production device.

Ideally, I want to pack the carrots ready to go at the end of the show so I don't need to set them up at the start of the next show. To avoid undue damage, any production device should have minimal squishing! (i.e. no dove pans!)

http://www.nightmarefactory.com/VA281.jpg
These are nice and soft and I could squeeze a few into a proper device.

http://www.nightmarefactory.com/MP12.jpg
This one is more solid.

Something like this would be ideal if made a little bigger.
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/555521/magic_tube/

I'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas!
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1877 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Make you own Drum load from PVC pipe. I have been using one for over a decade to produce spring snakes. I ask any that are brave to look inside the tube on the count of 3. On three I shove my hand up the tube and then pull it out. I then cover one side with TP (I call it magic paper, and this can be a running gag). We do the magic words and I show the tube is empty and say: "The hand is GONE". (they moan)Then I'll ask "Do you want to see some real magic? and load the spring snakes. . .
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
What about this and that..

I use the scarfs to produce my melodica...which is a bit larger than a carrot

One might also use a bunny bag...

kinda makes sense...

dats all folkssssssss

Harris..
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3642 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
The Temple Screen may do the trick.

Jim
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7444 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2007-08-05 22:41, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
Something like this would be ideal if made a little bigger.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/555521/magic_tube/

Hi Nicholas -

The prop in the video is Mak Magic's Crystal Silk Cylinder, with the addition. You don't need the addition to perform it. "The addition" is referring to the additional tube.

BTW, for some great looking Crystal Silk Cylinders, check out Dazzling Magic's website. They offer several versions of the prop, including ones without a base, ones to produce a rabbit, and ones to produce a dove.

Years ago, I purchased a big foam carrot from David Ginn. It's about 15" long.

Also, at one time Dan Garrett used to make multiplying foam carrots (smallish size), ala his multiplying bananas trick. David also used to sell those.

- Donald

P.S. I don't personally own any of Dazzling Magic's Crystal Silk Cylinders, I just have heard great things.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Donald - I think both the Mak and Dazzling models might be too small for the 21 inch carrot! But I could certainly use them as a model to build my own. Does anyone know what sort of person would make a tube for me?

The other option is to a bottle production! Splash wouldn't work (no jacket) and Champagne Silks is not really a very good effect but another similar bottle production would be great.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7444 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Hi Nicholas -

Years ago, Mak made a Jumbo Crystal Silk Cylinder. It has a 21-24" load space. The tube has blue and silver (or gold) diagonal stripes.

I know, because I have one. Smile

It's not handy right now, but so I can't check if the overall height is 24" or the load space is that size.

- Donald

P.S. You said 12" carrot in one post, and 21" in another. Which is it, for clarification?
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
The Crystal Silk Cylinder (with or without the additional tube) is an interesting way to produce carrots, however you would not want to show the crystal tube with rubber carrots jammed into it or you'd know they were rubber. It would be better to produce a few from the top to release the pressure, before showing the rest in the crystal part of the tube. Also, the "gentleman" in the video did not take advantage of the trick's more interesting characteristic- that of transforming silks into the final solid load. If he had first dropped in some silks with Chocolate Bars screened on them, for example, it would have seemed that they transformed into the chocolate bars he ended up with. However, something tells me he is not a "magician" but just a "gentleman" showing a trick on YouTube.

You, on the other hand, being a "magician," will not want to overlook that feature, and might well want to begin by showing a handkerchief silk-screened with some carrots, and one with a bunny on it. Put the two handkerchiefs into the crystal tube. I would not use the additional tube- I've always regarded it as something for sissies, but make your own decision. Then start pulling carrots out of the top of the nested tubes, and when you have released enough pressure on the remaining carrots, pull off the cover and remove the final carrots from the crystal tube. Left inside the tube is a silk with a blank background where the carrots "used to be." The bunny is also gone from the former bunny silk, and so now you go on a hunt to find the missing bunny, using the carrots as "bait." The bunny hunt, is of course, optional, but good fun whether you turn up a live rabbit or a bunny doll or puppet.

Those are just my thoughts. I should add that if you felt up to it, you might check out Jim Gerrish's "Glass Vase and Tube" from The Wizards' Journal #11 on my site. You can get a cylindrical glass vase in sizes much larger in diameter and length than the typical Crystal Cylinder, and so can cram in even more carrots. You might check in Wal-Mart and various Craft or Dollar Stores FIRST to see if such a vase is available to you locally.

If you would describe the context of the carrot production you desire (Why does it have to be carrots? What happens before and after the carrots?), we might be able to suggest other options that would make sense for your situation.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Hi Donald - the solid carrot is 21 inches and the softer ones are 12. I like the solid one better.

The context is that I am producing 'rabbit bait' in order to bring my bunny out of hiding.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
OK, I get it! So pulling the carrots off a silk-screened silk with the Crystal Cylinder would work.

So would planting some carrot seeds in a small flowerpot, watering them, look at your watch impatiently, and DING! A carrot appears in the pot. Then another and another, etc. Instant Carrots! You'd have to make it, however, because I don't think it has ever been manufactured. I'll post the method over on The Magic Nook Forum in the Kid's Magic Secrets Section.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
DanGarrett
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
169 Posts

Profile of DanGarrett
To Donald and others,
"At one time" I made sponge carrots, bananas, and pickles. Trouble is, I never stopped! I still make them all, and can't keep up with the orders, so quit buying them! LOL. (Because I hand make these items, I have no life.)
Dan Garrett
www.dangarrettmagic.com
SAM National President 1994-1995
MIMC with Gold Star - London
email request to dangarrett@aol.com to receive a free catalog
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Carrots! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL