The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Which illusion, Flying Carpet or Super X? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kazam65
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of kazam65
Greetings,

I have been wanting to add some kind of levitation to my birthday party show for a while now. I am definitely going to buy one of the two in the next few weeks. I have found used versions of each, both in about the $300 range. I'm hoping someone out there has experience with both and can help me answer my questions:

1. Which one has more of a "WOW" factor?

2. Which one is easier to transport?

3. What is the maximum weight of a spectator each one will hold?

4. Which one must you worry about angles more?

5. Which one is easier to set up and tear down?

6. Which one is the most durable and will last the longest?

7. Can a hoop be used to pass over on each effect?

Your answers are very much appreciated!

Alan
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1134 Posts

Profile of Eldon
1.Super X
2.Carpet
3.Super X will hold more weight. 150lbs. easy.
4.About equal
5.Carpet is easier.
6.Take care of them and I think they would both last forever.
7.Yes, fairly convincingly.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Sheesh, do you know anything about super X levitation (flying carpet is just a form of super x)? Just being vaguely familar with it should answer most of ur questions. But here goes. 1.Both have about the same WOW factor. 2.The smaller the easier to transport, so the flying carpet. 3.Weight will vary with every apparatus, there is no standard manufactured weight. The heavier the material the more weight it will hold. Since ur doing kid shows, you should be dealing with under 100 lbs, and most will handle that fine. But find out the weight limit of the one you buy, and check it out before buying, put somebody on it and see how much wiggle or wobble there is. 4. Angle is same for both. If you are using a kid from the audience (case most often with flying carpet) there are ways to protect the kid from seeing, but you will need an assistant. If you plan to use the kid for super x plan on the kid probably seeing how it is done, generally us use an assistant for super x to levitate. You can, if careful and have an assistant do super x without the kid seeing how it is done, but really more trouble than it is worth. 5. Easiest to set up and tear down, well depends on how it is built, but generally the smaller one (flying carpet) will be easier. 6. depends on how it is built, presuming equal quality of construction and heaviness of material they should last equally as long. 7. Hoop can be done over super x, but not without the kid seeing how it is done, so you must use asst. as object of levitation. YOu could use hoop in flying carpet, but not easily and definitely not without risking kid seeing how you do it. Best bet, if you want to use a hoop pass, levitate an assistant and use super x.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Don't waste your money on either one, they are both worthless. The Super X is only good for photos .. that's about it.

Steve
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Go for the Super-X since there is more you can do with it. Ignore Chezaday; he has been grounded for trying to levitate with elevator heels. If those two are your only choices, you'll discover that with the Super X you can turn it into a flying carpet if you want to, but you can't turn a flying carpet into a Super X. You can also turn a Super-X into a mystifying Chair suspension by using chairs as end supports, but turned out so the seats face away from the center of the illusion. When you remove both chairs, you'll hear jaws falling on the ground. It's all presentation and theater and if you understand that, it will be a great sucess. If not, someone who knows how to present it will be able to buy it from you for $200.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
kazam65
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of kazam65
Quote:
On 2007-08-06 00:04, photius wrote:
Sheesh, do you know anything about super X levitation (flying carpet is just a form of super x)? Just being vaguely familar with it should answer most of ur questions. But here goes. 1.Both have about the same WOW factor. 2.The smaller the easier to transport, so the flying carpet. 3.Weight will vary with every apparatus, there is no standard manufactured weight. The heavier the material the more weight it will hold. Since ur doing kid shows, you should be dealing with under 100 lbs, and most will handle that fine. But find out the weight limit of the one you buy, and check it out before buying, put somebody on it and see how much wiggle or wobble there is. 4. Angle is same for both. If you are using a kid from the audience (case most often with flying carpet) there are ways to protect the kid from seeing, but you will need an assistant. If you plan to use the kid for super x plan on the kid probably seeing how it is done, generally us use an assistant for super x to levitate. You can, if careful and have an assistant do super x without the kid seeing how it is done, but really more trouble than it is worth. 5. Easiest to set up and tear down, well depends on how it is built, but generally the smaller one (flying carpet) will be easier. 6. depends on how it is built, presuming equal quality of construction and heaviness of material they should last equally as long. 7. Hoop can be done over super x, but not without the kid seeing how it is done, so you must use asst. as object of levitation. YOu could use hoop in flying carpet, but not easily and definitely not without risking kid seeing how you do it. Best bet, if you want to use a hoop pass, levitate an assistant and use super x.

Photius,

Altho I know the mechanics behind each illusion (how they work) I have not seen either one performed. That is why I asked the questions I did. I do appreciate your input tho.

Still undecided. I like the idea of the chairs on the end of Super X. I also like the idea that the Super X can be used as a "table" throughout the show, with no one suspecting it is for an illusion, where the flying carpet, obviously that has one purpose and one purpose only.

Anyone else?
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
You can also set up the Super-X in front of the audience... sort of. You slide two chairs together and unroll the cloth from the board, then place the board and the cloth on the backs of the two chairs. Set a few props on the board so it appears that you are just using it for a table. Squat down behind the cloth and raise up the $@#!!****#@? thingee, attaching it bit by bit as you continue to arrange the other props on your "table." Every once in a while, you reach under and fasten a wing-nut securely. You can even have a second cloth that drapes down the back side of the board and attaches with Velcro so it can easily be removed when you are ready to perform the Super-X.

My description above works because I designed and had my own version of the Super-X built by a local welder who thought he was making me a new type of garden gate. You may have to modify my description to make it work for the type of Super-X you are operating.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

btedeski
View Profile
Veteran user
Pittsburgh PA
322 Posts

Profile of btedeski
If your do not work with an assistant see if you can find the "walk around Super-X" that is the one I use. I recently sold the Super-X used in my avator photo.

I use to use the carpet for b-day shows, but decided against it, in favor of a rabbit. If the kids have a choice between seeing a levitation or a live rabbit.

If your doing b-days shows were performance can be limited then go with the carpet, it can be done in a more confined area as long as the line of site is blocked, the super-x needs more performance space, and the line of site blocked

As to the super-x and the kid seeing the gimmick, you need to find a way to keep the kids attention focused forward, if you pick the right kid, you can keep the directed the way you want and they will never see the gimmick, or if the see it will just get buy them.

You can also get a gimmicked hoop that will just pass through the bar, there are two or three on the market but will cost you as much if not more than the illusion

Got luck and have fun with witch ever you pick

(fyi writting this from the Cincinnati airport were my connecting flight to Raleigh is late, and my laptop battery is running out fast)
Billy The Clown
www.BillyTheClown.com

Bill Tedeski
Pittsburgh PA

Were magic is just too funny....
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
If you're just needing the hoop, Jim Gerrish shows how to make a gimmicked hoop as part of his "PVC Levitation?" e-book from PVC Pipe Illusions Book 3 on my site. You make it from a dollar store hula hoop and it doesn't cost much more than that. Don't compare it to Blaney's Great White Hoop for quality, but it does the job for birthday shows and government work.
Professor Spellbinder

chuckn34404
View Profile
Regular user
Bend, Oregon
124 Posts

Profile of chuckn34404
Birthday shows sometimes can be difficult to control if they are being performed in a home or a hall that does not have a roped off section, drapes, or a small platform from which to work. It can be difficult to set up an illusion as you are suggesting and not exposing the trick under these conditions. I would like to suggest that you might consider some other form of levitation if you are working a home or hall etc.

Chuck
Chuckn
btedeski
View Profile
Veteran user
Pittsburgh PA
322 Posts

Profile of btedeski
I have to agree with Chuck, have you looked at the chair suspension?
easy to setup, no angle issues, works well in a home or small hall.
Granted I think the X or Carpet have more of a WOW factor, but the chair presented correctly still has a great impact
Billy The Clown
www.BillyTheClown.com

Bill Tedeski
Pittsburgh PA

Were magic is just too funny....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Which illusion, Flying Carpet or Super X? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL