We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Details of last night's odd/bad tables... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Quote:
On 2007-08-07 13:35, Frank Starsini wrote:
If you're mind is distracted by people like this you have more growing to do.

I definitely have a lot more growing to do, I hope I never stop (except for my waistline, I do hope that stops growing at some point). I am still early on in the restaurant business, so I do analyze the night as I drive home. My restaurant is an hour from my house, so I have a lot of time to think as I make the drive home. I like to replay the tables in my head, try to figure out what worked, what didn't, what I could have done different to make a performance better, how I could of stopped a lady from grabbing my chop cup! My mind is fine as I am there performing, but on the drive home, yes, it's running fast with recaps of the good and the bad tables.

Quote:
On 2007-08-06 22:16, Danny Diamond wrote:
Of course, I realize that this was HIS child, and I would never dream of telling him how to parent. To each their own.

Quote:
On 2007-08-07 14:19, Dannydoyle wrote:
He has a right to teach his child anything he wants too. So it may be annoying, but it is his child.

See above - I agree. I wouldn't want anyone ever telling me to raise my children differently either. Maybe the worst comment I made was in response to him describing the book he read that detailed "how they do all of the sleight-of-hand", when I replied with "well, sometimes it's fun to just believe in magic". But I did move along. And when I offered balloons to the kids at that table, and the father said "nah, that's not cool, we want more sleight-of-hand", I put the balloons away and brought out the cards.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20969 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I don't think you did ANYTHING wrong my friend. I think you handled it pretty grown up professional.

Comming here to vent, is a great way to relieve stress!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
carbone1853
View Profile
Loyal user
RI USA
240 Posts

Profile of carbone1853
The spectator who lifted the cup did you a favor, by alerting you to a flaw in your routine. Before she lifted the cup she must have suspected to find a ball. If she suspected there was a ball there, you can bet others suspect there is a ball there but are too polite to say so.

Now it is your job to find the flaw and fix it.

Chris
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
Chris,

A person's routine can be flawless and I promise you that if you have a prop within reach of a spectator and you perform on a regular basis, someone at sometime will try to reach out and grab that prop. There doen't have to be a flaw in a routine for this to happen. Sometimes people are just jerks.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I HATE, deep inside myself, when I get challenged or people are rude or act in a way that I was brought up not to act in.

But......I don't perform in venues where people buy tickets see me. I have performed, for the most part, where people have come to dine and I am intruding on them ( Now, Idealy, they are asked by their server if they want to see and that eliminates most all problems ).

So, I have to put on my thick skin suit and always have a spectre at my shoulder to be aware of this and problems that could come up.

As soon as I'm challenged, I make it a very short session ( I'm not there to convert anyone ). I will do sponge balls. I pick someone at the table that I get a feeling would like to see magic or isn't challenging. It's in their hands and I've yet to see anyone that isn't surprised by this. But, that's it. I thank them and wish them a great eveing and am gone. They can discuss among themeselves how the ball go in her hand.

I LOVE to perform for folks that still have wonder in their soul and like to be entertained.

Even though I don't perform where I'm a guest, sometimes I get pushed to. It's been years since that happened, but one time I did soemthing 'cause it was the hosts birthday and she was a friend of my then girlfriends. I did a trick and her know it all boy friend shouts "let's see what's in your other hand".

Without missing a beat I said " it's always guys with small #%$^s that don't beleive in this stuff". The room roared laughing, I dithced the coin and spent the night loved by all, hated by one.

But, I'm a better performer because of the ball $%#@^ers. I've removed weak points in my set and am more aware of my environment and how to read people. The first years I'd get caught or taunted, I had no outs and the magic fell flat.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1141 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
I actually think it would have been hilarious to substitute "sleight of hand" for the word "magic" in everything you said - just to be a wise-arse.

"Hi Johnny - do you believe in sleight of hand?"
"Wave the sleight of hand wand, and the ball will disappear."
"Say the sleight of hand word: abracadabra!"
"Hi I'm Bob - the sleight of handician"

Unfortunately, when I get a cob up my butt about something like this, I will run it into the ground. It's either funny or annoying. Gee, now that I've think about it, I hope someone calls it "sleight of hand" tonight at my gig . . .
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2007-08-07 14:01, derrick wrote:
I once got invited to perform at a "Fallfest" party also known to everyone else as a Halloween Party at a church in a small rural town. Before they would hire me I had to assure the caller I didn't perform any of that "Dark or Black Magic" in my show. I didn't even want to start the argument so I quickly found that I had a conflict in my schedule and suggested they hire a Vent that I knew in their area. Why they would want to hire a magician at all is beyond me?

I find occasionally I have to bill myself as an illusionist to get hired at church functions. I've done a number of them and they've always worked out quite well. Fortunately, most of the audience members didn't seem to share the same concerns as the person who booked me.
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
Oh I've performed at many church gigs and they have gone great. I've just never had to assure them or anyone for that matter that I didn't perform black magic before.

There are just way too many options around Halloween to worry about something like this.
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Hiya Danny,

With regards to the Prop Grabber- that'll have to go down as an audience management issue I'm afraid. What I probably would have done in that situation is let her look at the cup at that point and ask her, "What do you see?" to which she'll respond, "A ball." and then I'd say, "Is it the same one?" to make her a bit confused. She might say, "What do you mean?" and you could say, "Well I thought you knew that I used 2..." and reveal the final load.

I think it's important to remember that since they've most likely never seen this routine in their lives then you have the final say about how it ends. Your only caught if you let yourself get caught. I've dropped the small piece of rope on the floor at the finale for my rope routine and simply spread my arms in an applaud cue- and they clapped, lol. They simply don't know.

As for the "Sleight of Hand" guy. A good response would be to have simply said, "Ah- you must know a few tricks yourself to be breaking out the professional terminology..." This lets him feel good about 'knowing the terminology' but will push him back a little because, odds are, he doesn't know any tricks. Always let them know you're in charge. After all, you're the one being paid to be there- not them, lol.

Hope that helps,

jamie
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13416 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2007-08-07 19:44, doug brewer wrote:
I actually think it would have been hilarious to substitute "sleight of hand" for the word "magic" in everything you said - just to be a wise-arse.

I was thinking the exact same thing. In fact, now that I think about it, I've done this except the words were... "trick deck".

Shame on me.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Ethan
View Profile
Regular user
UK
142 Posts

Profile of Ethan
My method with dealing with those that suggest it's all just sleight of hand, is to open with a couple of effects that clearly don't use sleight of hand, because they are doing the handling. At the end I ask them whether they used sleight of hand, serves to make the point and usually I have no problems then when I do start using sleight of hand. The other option is rather than to challenge them, just accept it and go along with the whole concept of sleight of hand and still blow them. It doesn't matter if they know it's sleight of hand as long as it looked impossible Smile
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Quote:
On 2007-08-07 19:44, doug brewer wrote:

I actually did do that, or attempt to - instead of my usual opening sponge ball routine line of "do you believe in magic?", I said to the kids, "do you believe in...(look at father with a slight smile)...sleight-of-hand?"

This was met with confusion by the kids, who didn't know how to respond, and clearly had no idea what sleight-of-hand even meant.

So I decided to just avoid any mention of the words "magic" or "sleight-of-hand" and just do my effects for them.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Ted Danger
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco/Utila
101 Posts

Profile of Ted Danger
This is my second post to this thread..... I use the "do you believe in Magic" line all the time, for kids, and adults. If they respond no, I pull out my magic marker, and say something like, "So you think this magic marker is just an ordinary marker?"

This is of course before they sign the card. It would be great fun to say, "now write something personal on the card with the slight-of-hand marker"

Just babbling....
"One may say the eternal mystery of the world is its comprehensibility." Albert E.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9497 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
What seems to be the problem with someone calling what you do Sleight Of hand? Many performers would love to be considered a good s o h artist.

Frank is correct, you shouldn't leave anything on the table.... or visable to avoid people grabbing at it.

But the real issue is that many magicians believe they are special in a way that they can not relate to the audience. When all is said and done. you should be able to converse and/or entertain the audience interchangably, close up.

The magic tricks should be secondary as the guests should exit talking about the great person they met. There should be a connection made that you sometimes can't do with a stage show.

Bottom line. There are three ways to handle confrontational people. !. Excuse yourself and maybe aproach them later. 2 ignore them and muddle through because you need to prove something. 3. Win them over by taking a personal interest in them and overwelming them with your kindness and charm. Then you do the best trick you have and leave them asking for more.
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1141 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Nice try, Jay. Oh sure, now we have to be charming AND amazing. Next you'll say we need to practice too. I prefer just being a wise arse . . .
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Quote:
On 2007-08-09 16:22, jay leslie wrote:
What seems to be the problem with someone calling what you do Sleight Of hand?

For adults, they can call it whatever they please.

My only issue with it (and it isn't a HUGE issue) is when there are kids involved. Before I got the restaurant, 95% of my shows were birthdays, daycares, camps, etc. All kid's shows. And imo, kids don't want to see a "sleight-of-hand show" - they want a "magic show". Most kids don't even know what the term "sleight-of-hand" means, which leads to confusion when a father at the table insists on everything being referrred to as SOH and not magic. And confusion and magic don't mix well.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Ethan
View Profile
Regular user
UK
142 Posts

Profile of Ethan
"kids don't want to see a "sleight-of-hand show"

I'm not convinced that most adults want to see a sleight of hand show. Sure for the most part they know that the methods use sleight of hand, but since your not supposed to even see sleight of hand, they certainly don't come to see a sleight of hand expert, they want to see the impossible. We usually use the term magic for the impossible.
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Well, it's not a clear cut issue - no right or wrong, I think.

I don't think you can really say that ALL adults can appreciate sleight-of-hand, and ALL kids want it to be magic,

I do feel, however, that adults are more capable of accepting that what they are seeing is sleight of hand, and not the work of a real sorcerer. They can accept this fact, yet still be appreciative of what you do, and give you a compliment on a job well done.

Kids are different. In general, if they discover that what you are doing is not real magic, then you are now a phony to them. Sleight-of-hand is not a skill in their eyes, it is cheating.

I think that train of thought sums up my feeling as to why the term sleight-of-hand, is something that I am more willing to use with adults, rather than kids.

- Edwin Louis Cole
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9497 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I think some of you are making too much about what someone calls your skill set. Magic does not really exist. Do you think these people believe you can read minds? Do you think they believe you really had that card in your wallet ten minutes before you went to their table? Here is the real question, are you dishonest? Do you tell people what you do is real magic? You should be able to tell people that it's all done by scientific means and ability that took may houre to perfect. YOU should get the credit for your performance instead of dismissing what you do as being accomplished by fairy dust or hocum. If you feel that you need to always make people believe that you are gifted with some special power then perhaps you may consider working for some company that takes 4 dollars a minute, over the phone, and telling people what they should be doing with their lives. You see yourself as an entertainer and not some kind of a swami guru.... I would hope. You would never hear a tap dancer say that his legs just move by themselves. He gets credit for the many hours he spent practicing. If someone calls your magic, tricks, sleight of hand, or prestigitator it's just their way of catorgizing what you do.

The guest may have read some magic books or has a friend that called what he does sleight of hand...

You probably could use an invisable deck for that customer and he would still give you credit for great slight of hand. If someone said to me "let's see some slight of hand' I would just show them my regular fair of gimmicked and sleight oriented effects. Maybe this is the only termenology the customer has to decribe what you do.

Had the man said "I bet I can figure out every trick you do because you cheat... and you can't fool me" that might have been the time to say "you're probably correct, I'll be back in a few minutes" and excuse yourself. But he didn't.

And Doug as far being a smart arce.... if you got it... I've seen your card work, not bad, two out of three aint bad, (charm, amazing, practice).

As long as the person dosen't insult you, show them something!!! Some people like the challenge of performing several slights to accomplish one trick. Look at Larry Jennings work. He could tell you he was doing sleight of hand - he could tell you to watch him at the very moment he was doing sleight of hand - but you never caught him.

The ONLY time I turn and walk away from the guest is if they say "Ok here's the joke man. What kind of a joke are you going to pull on us now?". Even then I usually tell them they have the wrong man - The joke man will be around in a minute so I'll let you wait for them" HOWEVER I proceed to pull a fan of cards or a ball from his collar as I leave and make the retort (over my sholder) "I'm the magician (with a smile). See you in a little while".

It's possible you have to educate your audience about what you do just as you have to educate a client on what you do just as you educate the guests what they should do while you are in the middle of the performance.

Except in Doug's case. He is the exception

Do you know how manY different words people come up with to decribe an ailment at the doctors office? Does the doctor take offence. He usually takes the decription at face value and deals with the problem.... even if the patient has a third grade ecucation.
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Kids like magic.

I forgot to mention - in regards to the Grabber situation. Last nightI performed the Chop Cup routine (modified a bit since my last performance with it). I had one rather aggressive 9 year old boy following me around for most of the gig. He really liked magic (so his father told me), but he did not like not knowing how things worked. So I am glad to say that nearing the end of my chop cup routine for a small group of kids, he reached for the cup - and I was ready this time! My hand never moved away from the cup more than a couple inches. When he reached, I reached faster. He did grab the cup, but I had a firm grip on it as well, and my grip was stronger and he gave up his efforts pretty quickly. Yay.

I had a little talk with him after the trick - not reprimanding him, just talking about magic, and secrets, and not ruining the tricks for other spectators. I figured it best to talk to him and try to teach him a bit, since he was shadowing me all night anyway.

- Edwin Louis Cole
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Details of last night's odd/bad tables... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL