The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Finally! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Cory Landels
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of Cory Landels
Quote:
It is because you were performing for people who wouldn't know a good table working if they fell out of the sky and landed in their soup.

We all start somewhere don't we? Even though I am just starting, I think I know that it would be better to perform to the restaurants standards rather than MagicSanta's... Smile
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1626 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Quote:
On 2007-08-06 23:36, Cory Landels wrote:
Guys,

It went absolutely amazing! I am coming back every Monday, and possibly Fridays and Saturdays. All of you who tried to bring me down with your posts, nice try... didn't work. For all of you who actually gave me some advice, thank you!

BTW, I am only 14... What where you doing as a job when you where that age? Smile

Sooo..they may want you for 3 nights a week and you are only 14. My guess is that you are working really cheap. Am I correct? Stop now. Go back to practicing your D'Lites and double lifts and go back in a couple of years. Right now you'll only hurt those of us who are ready NOW.
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Cory,

You have a lot to learn my friend. Right now you're at the age where you think you know everything (I was there myself at that age, until I realized it won't get you far in life with that sorta mindset). You know the saying "don't bite the hand that feeds you"?

This kinda relates to that. If I were you, I'd try to not **** the people off that know a lot about the business. People such as Santa, DannyDoyle, Patrick, etc.

Best.
Steve
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1626 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Quote:
On 2007-08-07 00:28, Magic_Steve wrote:
Cory,

You have a lot to learn my friend. Right now you're at the age where you think you know everything (I was there myself at that age, until I realized it won't get you far in life with that sorta mindset). You know the saying "don't bite the hand that feeds you"?

This kinda relates to that. If I were you, I'd try to not **** the people off that know a lot about the business. People such as Santa, DannyDoyle, Patrick, etc.

Best.
Steve

**coughSOCALPROcough** Smile
Cory Landels
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of Cory Landels
Don't tell me I can't do this... Because I know I can.
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
You posted to soon...I was in the middle of editing my post! Smile

And SOCAL PRO. The "PRO" part ain't in the name for nothin!
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1626 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
I was just givin ya a hard time Steve. Smile
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1626 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Out of curiosity Cory, what are they paying you?
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Quote:
On 2007-08-07 00:34, SoCalPro wrote:
I was just givin ya a hard time Steve. Smile

Is that what that was?? Haha...all in good fun! Smile
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Quote:
On 2007-08-07 00:37, SoCalPro wrote:
Out of curiosity Cory, what are they paying you?

And what's the name of the restaurant you're working at?
Cory Landels
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of Cory Landels
Montanas
Pete McEwen
View Profile
Special user
Durham, N.C.
576 Posts

Profile of Pete McEwen
Cory, good job, you can do it. but it sounds like you've achieved all your goals by getting this one gig. If that's all you want, great. have fun with that. I personally want to be one of the best and for those that know me know that I don't accept anything other than perfect. The truth is all this advice in sincere and truthful. No, you weren't ready, but you got the job. That could have possibly been your best trick of the night. Now that you have it use it and the information that people give you here to become good, or great. BUT you can't be an arrogant kid because these guys will rip you apart. please realize that everyone here as well as I are trying to help you. If you don't want an opinion, don't come on here and ask for one because the people here will give it to you in a heartbeat.

Pete
The magician formerly known as SPEEDcuber
"no one will believe the things we do if we don't believe them ourselves." - Slydini
PeteMcEwen@mac.com
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Hi, Cory!

I had a kid about your age as my regular sub for my restaurant gig at Loco's in Boise years ago. He did a great job. I have no problems with young magicians, if they are accomplished and personable.

The reason you are getting some flak here is twofold.

First, your initial post asks some VERY basic questions and you said you were going in 2 hours later. There is simply no way that the information you were requesting could be conveyed and then assimilated in less than two hours--or less than two weeks (or maybe even two years in some cases). It's a little like a medical student saying, "I'm going to perform brain surgery in two hours. How do you access the brain? What part should I operate on? How long will it take? What should I do to make sure the guy doesn't die? Should I administer some kind of anesthesia?" You clearly were not prepared and were asking for a quick "magic" answer.

Second, whether you intended to or not, your follow-up posts do, in fact, come across as a bit arrogant. You're 14, you're new at this, you are by your own admission in your first post not very knowledgeable or experienced, and then you made some fairly cocky replies to people who were being honest with you.

I like to ask a question when people ask for my help or opinion: "Do you want me to be nice, or do you want me to be honest?" You see, sometimes being nice is in the worst interests of the person seeking help. When there are some glaring issues that need to be addressed, but they are skirted over for the sake of "being nice" or "encouragement", there is no growth. The well-intentioned people who do this are actually doing more harm than good.

When an experienced professional takes time out of his busy schedule to bother to respond to your post at all, it would behoove you to carefully consider his point, rather than to get defensive and say things like "I think I know that it would be better to perform to the restaurants standards rather than MagicSanta's" or "All of you who tried to bring me down with your posts, nice try... didn't work."

You don't have to follow the advice given (although that would probably be wise), but I guarantee you that you will receive a whole lot more respect if you respond with something like, "Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. I will take that under consideration."

We want to HELP you. We WANT you to succeed! Sometimes the "nicest" thing you can do for a person is to give him a kick in the butt when he needs it. That's the spirit in which those posts were intended. They weren't meant to "bring you down", they were meant to help you.

Regards,

Scott
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Cory Landels
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of Cory Landels
Thank you very much Scott.
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
Cory,
Congrats. You beat the odds and also spit in the face of conventional thinking. You weren't prepared to get a job and you did. Now you have two choices, pick some numbers and have an adult go play the lottery for you (before your luck runs out) or crack open some books and learn how to become an accomplished performer. But, I would do both...lol. Consider yourself fortunate. Now turn off your computer and start practicing.
Continued good luck
Patrick
Cory Landels
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of Cory Landels
Thanks Patrick!
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
Cory,
SoCalPro is a professional magician. That doesn't make him better than anyone, but it does make him an experienced performer who takes offense to a 14 year old kid coming on here acting like a 14 year old. SoCalPro might have to try to approach a table attempting to perform magic for that table. The people at that table may have had only one previous experience with a close up magician. It may have been an arrogant 14 yr old who wasn't prepared to perform for pay, and that 14 year old who wasn't prepared may have turned these people off from allowing a table side magician to perform for them.

So, SoCalPro is concerned that this 14 year old who isn't prepared to perform for pay may hinder his ability to perform for people in the restaurant he works. And since we all know that every table we perform for is a potential client for a private party which we all know is where the better pay is....SoCalPro may be concerned that there is the potential for that 14 year old kid who is not prepared to perform for pay may be hindering him from better paying private parties. It's just not SoCalPro. Substitute the name of any other working professional for SoCalPro, because it's pretty much how we all feel.

Cory, no one wishes you anything bad. As I said before, I do congratulate you. But, show some respect for the people you are asking help from. Don't ask a question unless you are prepared for the truth. Honestly, did you really think you were prepared to try and get this job? No, otherwise you wouldn't have come on here asking so many basic questions.

Hope this wasn't too harsh for you Cory, but it is the truth. And NOW, turn off your computer and go practice.

Good luck
Patrick
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Patrick,

I couldn't have said it any better if I tried. Nice post, great info.

Thanks.
Steve
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1626 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Patrick,

Many years ago, I performed at young boys Bar Mitzvah. He was so impressed with me that he then approached one of my restaurants and pitched the owner to let him work just for tips. As you can imagine, I was really angry with this. Although he wasn't working on the same day as I was, he was still AT MY RESTAURANT.

Not long after, I was let go. So you can see why I might be a little miffed at a 14 year old possibly getting 3 nights at a single restaurant and not "being comfortable" discussing his fees or lack thereof. There are way too many young ones out there undercutting those of us who make our sole living in Magic. I don not have a day job, magic is all I do....7 days a week. I am sure you can understand.

JIM
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
OK, guys, point made. Cory should have been better prepared, and he could have been a bit more respectful, and I believe he knows that and will make an effort to correct both. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt from this point forward, shall we?
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Finally! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL