The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Thread work (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
KraMagic
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of KraMagic
Can someone give me some advice on the art of thread work. I mainly do this type of magic. My question is how do I deal with lighting. Example may be the lighting is bright florescent lights. The thread tends to be more noticable. What should I do in that case.
kingsnqueens
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma
77 Posts

Profile of kingsnqueens
Hi,

Can I offer a suggestion? If in doubt don't do it.

I usually get where no ones watching, and check if I can see the thread from my hookup.

If I can see it. I don't use it.

This kind of work is to strong to tip!

That's my feelings. Thanks.... Manyfingers
KraMagic
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of KraMagic
I do try to do that, but since I know what I'm looking for, I tend to be paranoid about the thread. Kind of like the thumb tips, Most people never see, but we all know it's there so we see it. I guess my biggest problem is that thread work is my grand finale, so saying not to do it is a great disappointment.
idreamz
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of idreamz
It's really quite invisible after all. *agrees with KraMagic* I did it in a well lit bright room and yes I could see the IT, but my friends didn't see it at all.

I have a few suggestions though,

1. Do it against a dark background if possible
2. Don't ever do it in bright sunlight
3. Go to a most unwell-lit place of the room. This creates a mysterious effect as well
4. Try not to make people come TOO close

I did it in a train once.. wondering if anyone saw.. Smile Smile
Fast Eddie P.
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland
322 Posts

Profile of Fast Eddie P.
You might want to check out Michael Ammar's DVD's on the subject. I just attended one of his lectures on Wednesday. He did the floating dollar right in front of my nose and under florescent lights. I was looking for the thread and still could not see it. He really makes it look like true magic, unreal. Smile
tricky54
View Profile
New user
ohio
50 Posts

Profile of tricky54
If there is a bright light source, you also want to have your back in front of it and keep the object in front of your body. Of course, this is if you desperately need to perform the effect. Smile
TrIcKy54
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
I'm going to go with kingsnqueens, if in doubt don't do it!

I use loops and when the lighting is right, I literally can't see it. Yes, I know what I'm looking for, but I just can't see it.

Also, I would advise against the black background. Oddly enough, thread seems to show up against plain black in a lot of situations. You are much better with a mottled or speckled background, like a patterned curtain or carpet.

Hope that helps.

Billy
_member_
View Profile
New user
UK
5 Posts

Profile of _member_
Try running the thread over different coloured markers - this 'zebra type' effect means there is not a natural line for the eye to follow - even if it does see something. Avoid white surfaces as they reflect light and watch out for candles, the light from them is tricky to predict and counter.
John Fitzgerald
View Profile
Loyal user
London, England.
215 Posts

Profile of John Fitzgerald
Just how well known is I.T.?

I've heard they sell it in Vegas by the thousands to laypeople. (Well, maybe not the thousands.)

John.
WVMAGIC
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of WVMAGIC
I live in West Virginia. My buddies sister-in-law bought him I.T. in Vegas. She is a total layperson and has no idea about any type of magic. I guess they do push the I.T hard in Vegas if that is what she came back with. I also received the same gift from Vegas from my mom years ago. Go Figure.
blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
One of the most knowledgeable (and helping) IT magicians I know is Ron Jaxon. He is in the process of writing a book about it.

Ron's site is here. Join his forum.

The forum has many helpful items, already. If you have a question, ask. You will get the REAL answer, quickly.

-Rob.
Marcelo
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Marcelo
I use Leclair´s animator all the time, it is really great. You should check his Art Of Invisible Thread. It is a great book.
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2477 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
I never heard of using different colored markers....but, I used to take a black magic marker and make dashes on the thread about 1-2 inches long.

This technique is also useful for thicker nylon threads used on stage. Again, the theory is that there is no straight line for spectator to follow because of the breaks on shading.

Jeff Smile
Long Island,

New York
Dolphin
View Profile
Regular user
Slovenia
171 Posts

Profile of Dolphin
I usually avoid direct light, as well as neon and neonlike lights. These things and daylight of course, can make IT visible. When I do street business I look for the shady places or perform at nightfall. See the "No strings attached" by by Ray Cooper at http://www.penguinmagic.com/levitation.php
Smile
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
Quote:
On 2003-02-07 00:22, KraMagic wrote:
Can someone give me some advice on the art of thread work. I mainly do this type of magic. My question is how do I deal with lighting. Example may be the lighting is bright florescent lights. The thread tends to be more noticable. What should I do in that case.

Another vote for the Ammar Thread series. It's far the best resource I have seen to date. I guess he did the same as he did before he produced his ETMCM - went around, and got approval from all living magicians to include their ideas in his series.

The thread series covers basically everything there is to know about thread work, but of course, it's not perfect. That is why we always are looking for something new? isn't it?

-e-
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
ash_arani
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of ash_arani
The key to pulling off thread work is experimenting... See what lightning suits your performance best... It really is more than just lighting as it also depends of the "reflectivity" of the thread itself....
Guillaume Vallée
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of Guillaume Vallée
Be very carefull with backlights, black backgrounds and even your clothes if they are black.
I found leclair's method quite limited and I much prefer Kevin James' approch on this subject.
JackDaniel
View Profile
Veteran user
nevada
376 Posts

Profile of JackDaniel
Be sure to wear a multi patter shirt, this makes the thread, well: Invisible Smile
Visit the magic of Vegas and your life will change forever..
Shadowrunner
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Shadowrunner
Quote:
On 2003-05-10 02:49, John Fitzgerald wrote:
Just how well known is I.T.?

I've heard they sell it in Vegas by the thousands to laypeople. (Well, maybe not the thousands.)

John.

Some application of I.T are less known that others. I talked to a guy in Davenports the other day who said that the idea is to make it look like it isn't on a string making it important to limit the amount of levitation and vibration particualry with light objects, as well as not always moving your hands in a way that mimics the obejct levitatating.
JackDaniel
View Profile
Veteran user
nevada
376 Posts

Profile of JackDaniel
Agree Shadowrunner, limit the lev. to short floats, as a sub. do animations.
If you float something use a ITR, it's still one of magic's best kept secrets.
Think as a layman, if a object floats it's hanging from a vertical string, with a ITR you'll kill that statement.
Jack.
Visit the magic of Vegas and your life will change forever..
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Thread work (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL