The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Kevin James on AGT (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1578 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
All,

Is it just me or was it kind of weird seeing Kevin James on AGT? I mean it reminded me of that one Seinfeld episode when Kramer was dominating all the little kids in karate. Kevin James is already a big name. Does he have to resort to competing against amateurs to win money? Kevin James has so many resources to make these outstanding tricks happen. I think that the intent of the show was to give the average American a chance of a lifetime not to give an already established magician another unfair advantage. What is next for Kevin James? Competing at our local IBMs to pad his resume? Just looked kind of weird to me. Am I wrong to think this or are there others that believe the same. Please let me know.

Patrick
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Many of these folks could be considered "professionals" and probably earn a much better living than Kevin. They might not yet be household names, just like Kevin isn't a household name to anyone outside of magic. However, there's a lot of money involved here, and the rules say nothing about being an amateur.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1679 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
As a magician, there is no disputing that Kevin is clearly amoung the very elite. His appearance on AGT was clearly a chance to gain some excellent exposure and become more of a household name outside of the magic circles and there is no doubt that Kevin's talents desrve such acclaim. Besides, $1 million in cash is nothing to sneeze at. When the IBM's fork up that kind of prize money, I'd expect the big names to show up. There are few amateurs in the AGT competition. Just my 2 cents worth.

Dan.
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
Last year's winner Bianca Ryan wasn't just a "regular American." She had recorded albums and done live shows. Rapping Granny has been performing for many, many years now both privately and on TV. The show is a reality show, which should be your first clue that the reality of the show has nothing to do with actual reality. The show is all about entertainment, and at the end of the day, the seasoned performers, because of their experience, just make for a better show in general.

Remember, there is no stipulation that states that you can't be a performing professional at the top of your game, the only rule is that you live here in America. Kevin James fits that one criteria, so I don't see why he shouldn't be on the show, especially if it helps to spread his name to folks outside of the magic community.

I long for the day when I can say "Kevin James" and not have my friends say, "Oh, that fat comedian?" America's Got Talent may not have done that, but it's a start.

-Nick
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
Quote:
I long for the day when I can say "Kevin James" and not have my friends say, "Oh, that fat comedian?" America's Got Talent may not have done that, but it's a start.

Amen there brother! I usually skip AGt, but when a friend told me KJ was on this season, I've been trying to watch it to see him. Of course, I missed him everytime and had to catch it on youtube. When my wife saw me watching AGT and asked about it I told her I was hoping to see KJ, she said " You mean Doug Herrefnan?"

KJ's assertion on the show was that he was tired of being behind the scenes so much and that he wanted to get a little exposure for himself and his abilities instead of being a creator for the big boys.
I live my life for a layer of ice
Just like those poured by my bartender vice
Any taste of vermouth would be really sublime,
When you have a good martini time!

-The Reverend Horton Heat
Irish_matt
View Profile
Loyal user
St.Louis, MO
202 Posts

Profile of Irish_matt
Much like Nathan Burton and David & Dania last year.. his appearance on the show may never have been about winning. Now, people who go to Vegas on vacation will see kevin's and Nathans name up on the billboards and say.. hey.. they were on AGT and it's cheaper and easier than getting tickets to Circ... lets go and see them. It's all about the publicity.. getting your face on a national TV show.

matt
kendavis
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Profile of kendavis
We had this discussion several weeks ago when Kevin first appeared on AGT. Too bad he was eliminated on the third round, but I must admit his last act was not as impressive as the first two. Kevin is a great person and has befriended many people in the business with his kindness. It would have been nice to see him go further!
videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
Nathan plays the video during his show... and it doubles the credibility with the audience.
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1578 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Okay, you all convinced me. I was wrong. However, do you believe that it will be harder for an up and coming illusionists now that Kevin James failed to win?

Thanks,
Patrick
Joe Mansfield
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Joe Mansfield
Another example...the Dutton's that appeared earlier this season have their own theater in Branson,MO.
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
Quote:
On 2007-08-08 14:14, BYUDAD wrote:
Okay, you all convinced me. I was wrong. However, do you believe that it will be harder for an up and coming illusionists now that Kevin James failed to win?

Thanks,
Patrick

It might be harder for them to win the grand prize, but the exposure they gain and the national TV time certainly should help them get more bookings.

Since magic is a less mainstream talent than say singing or dancing, I would like to think the magician should have better odds as it is something different all together, but I think America wants to see singers and dancers win the prize as more people can dream about that. Most people fancy themselves as some kind of singer or dancer to some level. Ever see the reject tapes from Idol or So You Think You Can Dance? I only watch Idol to see the train wrecks and when the real competiton starts I'm out. As for SYTYCD, I'm a sucker for a well toned lady in a short skirt and I watch that all the way through Smile
I live my life for a layer of ice
Just like those poured by my bartender vice
Any taste of vermouth would be really sublime,
When you have a good martini time!

-The Reverend Horton Heat
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Kevin James on AGT (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL